Favorite High School Graduation Moments

Texsox

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 20, 2016 -> 03:16 PM)
Wait a second, teachers usually do things for graduating students?

I have in the past. Just trying to make their final days in high school a little cooler.

We built a trebuchet as a final project for our physics class. Most of the other groups' were table-top models. Ours was brought in on a flatbed trailer and we used a couple hundred pounds of weights from the weight room. It threw a 5 lb sledge hammer head 100 yards or so from what I remember.

What I'm saying is you should definitely build functional siege weapons.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 08:55 AM)
We built a trebuchet as a final project for our physics class. Most of the other groups' were table-top models. Ours was brought in on a flatbed trailer and we used a couple hundred pounds of weights from the weight room. It threw a 5 lb sledge hammer head 100 yards or so from what I remember.

What I'm saying is you should definitely build functional siege weapons.

Did you watch the last Mythbuster where they built one with duct tape instead of nails, screws and such? If not, it is worth a watch.

• 2 weeks later...

My AP students needed to be at school about an hour and a half early to take the AP test today. The other AP teacher and I hosted a tailgate party with breakfast in a quiet corner of your parking lot. It was pretty cool.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 4, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
My AP students needed to be at school about an hour and a half early to take the AP test today. The other AP teacher and I hosted a tailgate party with breakfast in a quiet corner of your parking lot. It was pretty cool.

What?? I've taken 3 AP tests in 3 days and my teachers couldn't care less.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 4, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
Really? Most of our teachers do a little something when it is "their" test.

AP Chem was nothing, AP Spanish gave us a free do-nothing period since we had the class directly after the AP test, and AP Psych I took first semester so I didn't have the class anyway

QUOTE (Tex @ May 4, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)

That's pretty cool.

I can't remember how AP exams work. As a teacher, do you schedule the test time? Or is it set by the AP folks? I ask because showing up 1.5 hours before school starts seems pretty early. If I was in your class, I'm not sure my brain would be fully functioning that early in the day.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 4, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
That's pretty cool.

I can't remember how AP exams work. As a teacher, do you schedule the test time? Or is it set by the AP folks? I ask because showing up 1.5 hours before school starts seems pretty early. If I was in your class, I'm not sure my brain would be fully functioning that early in the day.

It's set by the AP folks.

Our teacher put five of us in the school library all day and made us write an essay of no less than a thousand words describing who we think we are. And we weren't allowed to repeat a single word a thousand times, either. I also recall quite a bit of 80's music. I'm also pretty sure that teacher raided Barry Manilow's wardrobe.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 4, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
That's pretty cool.

Test began at 8:00 am until 12:00. They were asked to arrive at 7:30 for registration, materials, etc. We normally start school at 8:50. There are two AP tests per day, one in the morning, one in the afternoon. So 8:00 to 12:00 and 12:30 to 4:30. It is a long day.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 20, 2016 -> 11:24 AM)
As we are getting near the end of the school year I am trying to think of some things to do for my graduating seniors. What have teachers done that you remember? Any suggestions?

I remember thinking it was very cool that a few teachers did more than sign their name to my yearbook. They put a comment or actually a specific memory of me from class. Years later when I read it I got a kick out of that.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 4, 2016 -> 05:24 PM)

Sounds amazing. I'm surprised in this day and age of PC you were allowed to do that though. What if the breakfast gave one of them an upset stomach before the test? What if one of the parents disapproved of their kid eating bacon? What if one parent is against juice? Didn't you have to document everything you talked about with the kids to make sure it was documented and deemed appropriate? On and on.

Cool gesture by you though. Nice of you two to do that for the kids.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 4, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)
Test began at 8:00 am until 12:00. They were asked to arrive at 7:30 for registration, materials, etc. We normally start school at 8:50. There are two AP tests per day, one in the morning, one in the afternoon. So 8:00 to 12:00 and 12:30 to 4:30. It is a long day.

Right on. That makes sense. I figured you guys normally started school sometime b/t 7:30-8:30, meaning a 6:00-7:00 start time for the test. But 8:00am test start isn't nearly as bad.

Also, you have a 8:50am normal start time?? That's amazing. I would have loved that when I was in high school.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 5, 2016 -> 07:34 AM)
Also, you have a 8:50am normal start time?? That's amazing. I would have loved that when I was in high school.

I was thinking the same thing. We used to start school at 7:40 and got out at 2:20.

Within the last couple of years though they've decided that teenagers need more sleep so they've bumped up the start times to 8:00 or later. The elementary kids actually get out before the HS kids.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 5, 2016 -> 07:54 AM)
I start at 7:25 and get out at 2:15.

It sucks to have to wake up at 5:45, but at least I get home pretty early compared to some other schools.

Just 9 more full days and I'm done. Praise the lord.

Ha, my wife was saying the same thing last night (she's a teacher).

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 5, 2016 -> 07:34 AM)
Right on. That makes sense. I figured you guys normally started school sometime b/t 7:30-8:30, meaning a 6:00-7:00 start time for the test. But 8:00am test start isn't nearly as bad.

We get out at 4:05*.

Middle school buses run first, then elementary, finally high school. It works the best. Middle School kids can get up, dressed, etc on their own and get to the bus. Elementary kids need mom and dad so this gives them a little more time and they can still get to work. High school kids are self sufficient so they go last.

*As a coach I have a last period athletics. So we can leave for the golf course at 3:10.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 5, 2016 -> 07:54 AM)
I start at 7:25 and get out at 2:15.

It sucks to have to wake up at 5:45, but at least I get home pretty early compared to some other schools.

Just 9 more full days and I'm done. Praise the lord.

I was on about that schedule previously when I taught middle school. It wasn't too bad. Even coaching I would be home at an almost normal hour.