*Gamethread* 4/21 - Angels vs White Sox

Bigsoxhurt35

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)
Weaver career vs the White Sox.

10-2 1.99 era 86IP 84K 15BB 65H 0.93 WHIP

That is not the same guy that the Sox will be facing today. Weaver barely cracks 80 MPH now versus 90 in his prime. This new version of Weaver had a FIP higher than John Danks last year.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)
That is not the same guy that the Sox will be facing today. Weaver barely cracks 80 MPH now versus 90 in his prime. This new version of Weaver had a FIP higher than John Danks last year.

Doesn't matter. Last year he shut us out over 6 1/3, giving up only 5 hits and getting 5 K's.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
Doesn't matter. Last year he shut us out over 6 1/3, giving up only 5 hits and getting 5 K's.

And this year Weaver is 3 MPH slower and the Sox have 5 different guys in the starting lineup than they did in that game last year. His history against the Sox means little to nothing at this point.

But if we want to play that game, Danks has a 3.12 career ERA with a 1.177 WHIP against the Angels in his career and a 3.14 ERA and a .977 WHIP against them last year. Funny how I don't see you mentioning that. Oh yea, doesn't fit the agenda.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)

A lot of turnover on that roster

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 10:30 AM)
And this year Weaver is 3 MPH slower and the Sox have 5 different guys in the starting lineup than they did in that game last year. His history against the Sox means little to nothing at this point.

But if we want to play that game, Danks has a 3.12 career ERA with a 1.177 WHIP against the Angels in his career and a 3.14 ERA and a .977 WHIP against them last year. Funny how I don't see you mentioning that. Oh yea, doesn't fit the agenda.

lol, @ the agenda.

Weaver has historically owned us, and has also done so recently. Even taking Danks numbers into account, Danks numbers this year are worse than Weaver's, as are his numbers against the Angels when compared to what Weaver has done to us both recently and historically. So I am still not following what you are selling.

Hopefully I am wrong and all, but it really seems like the more garbage a pitcher throws up there, the worse this team does against them. My guess would be it is because we have a team full of guys that swing at junk they can't hit, which plays right into the hands of a guy like Weaver who throws nothing straight or in the middle of the zone.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
In case anyone is curious, here are the AL fifth starters best to worst by FIP. Danks is not middle of the pack, but his FIP is not too different from the median guy (Sabathia)

fiplistcapture_zpsnxu8u5sh.jpg

We dislike Danks but this is the reality of a fifth starter -- most are bad, period.

This. I don't think too many teams would complain about having a fifth starter that will give you 170+ innings of a 4.5 ERA. He'll go out and give you a chance to win pretty damned often. If it weren't for his salary, from a contract he signed before major injury when he was one of the better starters in the game, nobody on here would be complaining about his performance the past couple seasons.

Danks aside, how about this turnaround on defense? Defensive numbers so far:

DRS: 6th

ARM: 5th

UZR: 7th

UZR/150: 6th

Overall Def: 5th

Should also note the Sox currently have the 5th ranked defensive catching tandem. Atlanta is 26th.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
lol, @ the agenda.

Weaver has historically owned us, and has also done so recently. Even taking Danks numbers into account, Danks numbers this year are worse than Weaver's, as are his numbers against the Angels when compared to what Weaver has done to us both recently and historically. So I am still not following what you are selling.

Hopefully I am wrong and all, but it really seems like the more garbage a pitcher throws up there, the worse this team does against them. My guess would be it is because we have a team full of guys that swing at junk they can't hit, which plays right into the hands of a guy like Weaver who throws nothing straight or in the middle of the zone.

All the dead weight from last year has been moved aside from Garcia. I really don't care what a guy did to us years ago when those guys are not with the team anymore. It makes no sense to think otherwise. Do you think seeing that White Sox logo sparks something in Weaver that magically makes him pitch better?

Also, Weaver has a 6.05 FIP this year versus 4.64 for Danks. How is that better again?

All right boys Easy does it. Just have to be patient with Weaver . Like any pitcher who throws junk he relies on a hitter getting himself out more than anything. This game should be just as entertaining as the others.

Just saw Flava Fraz aka the Toddfather on MLB network talking with fellow Jersey Boys Mark DeRosa and Al Leiter. Quite entertaining. DeRosa brought up that the Sox defense is 2nd in defensive efficiency ( whatever that is ) . Showed highlights of good defense by Frazier, Lawrie and Eaton. Talked about defense and attitude than anything else.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Weaver's throwing an 81 MPH fastball. Even Buehrle threw the ball faster than that last year. If you're not a knuckleballer, throwing 81 in the big leagues will get you crushed just about every start.

If the Sox don't score a decent amount off Weaver today, then the offense is in worse shape than I thought. Gotta be able to tag a pitcher like this.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)

Should also note the Sox currently have the 5th ranked defensive catching tandem. Atlanta is 26th.

Hell even Melky has graded out as a positive defender by both bWAR and fWAR this season. Obviously 15 games is too small a sample size to show much validity for defensive stats but hey it's better than the flip side.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
Little bit of shuffling at the bottom today.

https://twitter.com/SieraSantos/status/723159017607061504

Eaton 9

Rollins 6

Abreu 3

Frazier 5

Cabrera 7

Lawrie 4

Jackson 8

Garcia DH

Avila 2

Danks 1

I'd like to see Melky in the 3 spot once in awhile with how well he has been hitting this year.

Obviously defensive stats in a small sample size should be taken with a huge grain of salt, but it's interesting that Eaton and Melky rate as our top two defenders while Jackson is by far the worst (by either stat). Looks like UZR and DRS disagree on Frazier and Lawrie, Frazier looks bad by UZR but good by DRS, with Lawrie the opposite.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
All the dead weight from last year has been moved aside from Garcia. I really don't care what a guy did to us years ago when those guys are not with the team anymore. It makes no sense to think otherwise. Do you think seeing that White Sox logo sparks something in Weaver that magically makes him pitch better?

Also, Weaver has a 6.05 FIP this year versus 4.64 for Danks. How is that better again?

It obviously isn't about the logo, that is just silly. It is about the match up itself. There is a reason that Weaver has pitched well historically again us, and that is we have a team full of free swingers who chases a lot of stuff out of the strike zone. Avi Garcia is absolutely one, but so is a guy like Jose Abreu. Think Bruce Chen. This team has problems against this type of pitcher historically.

I have said it before I saw the numbers, this team is SO much better defensively this year. Honestly, this post should probably be its own thread, because it deserves to be talked about.