Cleveland outdrew us? Attendance down 13% so far

caulfield12

I don't know why we need to participate in fan shaming. Attendance will pick up as the weather warms and kids are in school less. The strong start is definitely helping ADVANCE sales right now. One guy in a Facebook group (Chicago White Sox Pride and Passion) I'm in just bought a partial plan(pro-rated to 19 games), and I am getting hit hard for code requests on the sites where I promote discount codes.

Besides, the real increase will be in 2017, especially if this team is competitive all year.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 07:10 AM)
Fairweather Chicago fans watching the Cubs.

People who decide when and where to spend their entertainment dollars.

What do you want to do this weekend?

Hey, how about going to a baseball game?

I don't know, what about going to the Dells?

The Dells are too far, let's go to a baseball game, who is in town? I hear the Cubs are doing good. We could have lunch at . . .

OK, if the weather is good. If not, let's head downtown for dinner maybe catch a play . . .

That is the dollars that both teams are fighting for. They aren't fair weather fans, they aren't fans in any sense of the word. They are spending their entertainment dollars and a baseball game sounds good at the moment.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 11:13 PM)
I haven't posted a lot lately, but don't mistake it for me not loving what's going on. I'm just loving how the team has performed so far this April. I think Robin is emerging as a force. Do you realize if the Sox make the playoffs, he's going to be this team's manager for a long long time?

I'm still trying to figure out how the Sox are doing this? Personally I think the starting pitching is "that" much better this year. Sale and Q are taking the next step and don't discount Latos. The 4-0 record is huge. And Rodon is showing signs of very-good-ness.

What the hell does THIS have to do with attendance?????

:D

I haven't been to a game yet this year. I am the problem. Stupid fair-weather me.

Last year, increase of 1,051 per game from 2014 (21,947 per game, compared with 20,896 in 2014).

This year, according to that updated information from Kaplan, they've guaranteed an additional attendance of 1,400 per game for the rest of the season.

Currently averaging only 19,000 through 9 games, but a more than reasonable average of 24,625 of the remainder of the season would get them to 1,944,000 in attendance, nearly 2,000,000.

24,691 (let's say 24,700 to round it up) would get them to exactly 2 million, which they haven't done since 2011 and 2010. That would be a pretty big rebound over a two year time span, although they still in all likelihood would be "only" 23rd or perhaps 22nd in the majors overall.

Splitting the market in a northern city. No wonder the team looked at having an entire southern city to themselves. What a dream move it would be if they took off for San Antonio. 7th largest city. Supports the Spurs. San Antonio Sox. It even has a nice ring to it. ;)

One thing for sure, the prices would be a lot more affordable in southern Texas in terms of the average ticket package, parking, concession items...and the BBQ and Mexican options would be great.

That said, as a native Midwesterner, it would still suck, but as long as they kept the Sox name/logo and were able to increase their spending by 25-50% over what they're managing in Chicago now, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker as a fan. They would have the advantage of a bigger fanbase, as well as drawing interest from a marketing standpoint in many areas of northern Mexico even the Caribbean.

That said, for most Chicagoans...at least 50% would probably disagree if they could no longer conveniently attend games. And tickets aren't nearly as expensive as they used to be from 2006-2012, they've come down significantly, except for parking/concessions/souvenirs, which are still pretty pricey.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2016 -> 07:42 AM)
One thing for sure, the prices would be a lot more affordable in southern Texas in terms of the average ticket package, parking, concession items...and the BBQ and Mexican options would be great.

That said, as a native Midwesterner, it would still suck, but as long as they kept the Sox name/logo and were able to increase their spending by 25-50% over what they're managing in Chicago now, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker as a fan. They would have the advantage of a bigger fanbase, as well as drawing interest from a marketing standpoint in many areas of northern Mexico even the Caribbean.

That said, for most Chicagoans...at least 50% would probably disagree if they could no longer conveniently attend games. And tickets aren't nearly as expensive as they used to be from 2006-2012, they've come down significantly, except for parking/concessions/souvenirs, which are still pretty pricey.

US Cellular is extremely close to one of the best concentrations of Mexican options in the United States. They dont need to move to Texas for that.

During a time where the Chicago white sox are the best team in the AL, caulfield openly wonders whether sox fans would mind if they moved to San Antonio. There is cheap Mexican food there.

Great post. Hall of fame post.

Ummm....openly wondering?

I was just responding to what Tex wrote. Obviously it wouldn't happen until 2029 or whatever....unless the Reinsdorfs were to sell the team, and then getting out of the lease alone would be onerous.

That said, I've also posited the idea of the White Sox playing a limited number of games in Havana as well.

And I never said "cheap Mexican food" together as one idea. You can re-read what I wrote 1000 times. That's borderline a discriminatory statement, btw. The fact of the matter is that concessions prices are quite expensive in Chicago. We could look at 10-12 different markets, and outside, of Las Vegas or Vancouver or maybe Montreal, the projected food prices at the ballpark would be 10-30% cheaper.

If the ballpark was somehow located near the RiverWalk, then I could see it being more upscale, but I have no idea about available land tracts in S.A. for a public baseball stadium plus requisite parking.

In the end, AS I NOTED, it wouldn't affect the fans who live far away from Chicago or in other countries as much as the local White Sox fans. As I ALSO NOTED, the only way I would even consider it would be if the White Sox could increase their spending/payroll from $25-50 million per season as a result of the move. (And obviously, there's no GUARANTEE of that...)

And we have the BEST RECORD in the AL. Best team? After just 26 games? I think we might just want to dial it back down a notch...

Edited by caulfield12

Go ahead.

Delete this thread or block it or whatever.

We should have only happy thoughts while the White Sox and Cubs are in first place as the calendar turns to May. It has only happened one other time in the history of the city, dating back to 2008.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2016 -> 07:42 AM)

Exactly how many pro sporting events have you been to where the concessions weren't "pricey"?

Moving to San Antonio? As predicted, a good Sox run and you are melting like the Wicked Witch of the West.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2016 -> 07:39 AM)
Exactly how many pro sporting events have you been to where the concessions weren't "pricey"?

Moving to San Antonio? As predicted, a good Sox run and you are melting like the Wicked Witch of the West.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! You cursed brat! Look what you've done!! I'm melting, melting..."

You nailed it. His Watch is over.

https://www.teammarketing.com/public/upload...014+mlb+fci.pdf

Parking is still 33% above the major league average. Beer, hot dog and a soda are about .50 cents higher in aggregate.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2016 -> 08:43 AM)
"Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! You cursed brat! Look what you've done!! I'm melting, melting..."

You nailed it. His Watch is over.

https://www.teammarketing.com/public/upload...014+mlb+fci.pdf

Parking is still 33% above the major league average. Beer, hot dog and a soda are about .50 cents higher in aggregate.

What are the Cubs prices?

And for a guy who gets all his info on the internet, you could do a little research to show how you could actually park for free. The $.50 extra you have to pay for a hot dog compared to what it may cost in KC is a killer, I'll grant you that. Although you could go to Portillo's before the game. But try to divert the attention off the White Sox results. It isn't going to work. Everyone knows your deal now.

The team is 18-8 best record in the AL, and you bring up moving to SA in 2029? You need to go lay on a couch.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2016 -> 08:25 AM)
And we have the BEST RECORD in the AL. Best team? After just 26 games? I think we might just want to dial it back down a notch...

They are quite literally the definition of the best team in the AL as it currently stands.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2016 -> 08:25 AM)
Ummm....openly wondering?

I was just responding to what Tex wrote. Obviously it wouldn't happen until 2029 or whatever....unless the Reinsdorfs were to sell the team, and then getting out of the lease alone would be onerous.

That said, I've also posited the idea of the White Sox playing a limited number of games in Havana as well.

And I never said "cheap Mexican food" together as one idea. You can re-read what I wrote 1000 times. That's borderline a discriminatory statement, btw. The fact of the matter is that concessions prices are quite expensive in Chicago. We could look at 10-12 different markets, and outside, of Las Vegas or Vancouver or maybe Montreal, the projected food prices at the ballpark would be 10-30% cheaper.

If the ballpark was somehow located near the RiverWalk, then I could see it being more upscale, but I have no idea about available land tracts in S.A. for a public baseball stadium plus requisite parking.

In the end, AS I NOTED, it wouldn't affect the fans who live far away from Chicago or in other countries as much as the local White Sox fans. As I ALSO NOTED, the only way I would even consider it would be if the White Sox could increase their spending/payroll from $25-50 million per season as a result of the move. (And obviously, there's no GUARANTEE of that...)

Says the guy who calls it a season after 4 games. And the same guy who told us time and time again how important it was for the White Sox to get off to a fast start, probably because you thought there was no chance they would. Your Royals lost 5 in a row. How many teams lost their 19th-23rd games of the season and still made the playoffs? They might be done. Back up the truck.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2016 -> 07:55 AM)
What are the Cubs prices?

And for a guy who gets all his info on the internet, you could do a little research to show how you could actually park for free. The $.50 extra you have to pay for a hot dog compared to what it may cost in KC is a killer, I'll grant you that. Although you could go to Portillo's before the game. But try to divert the attention off the White Sox results. It isn't going to work. Everyone knows your deal now.

The team is 18-8 best record in the AL, and you bring up moving to SA in 2029? You need to go lay on a couch.

If you remember, the White Sox were ONLY 4-2 at that time and tied for first when the post was made.

But thanks for giving me credit because somehow "my attendance deal" caused the team to go on a 14-6 run and sell an additional 100,000 tickets, so I'll gladly take it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 3, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)
that pricing chart is 2 years old

Funny he mentions concessions but doesn't mention the cost of a ticket more than makes up for it. His magical Fan Cost Index for the White Sox is below the league average. San Antonio 2029. Save $.50 on the tacos.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2016 -> 09:10 AM)
If you remember, the White Sox were ONLY 4-2 at that time and tied for first when the post was made.

But thanks for giving me credit because somehow "my attendance deal" caused the team to go on a 14-6 run and sell an additional 100,000 tickets, so I'll gladly take it.

Your comments now are even more obnoxious. And crying about attendance in April when it's 35 degrees is the exact opposite of what you were doing last season. Your attendance threads are jokes. You make up numbers like all the season ticket accounts who bailed. Remember those last year? Now some more obnoxiousness. The team is in first place, playing well, has some money to play with. Go find a billionaire and subject him to your baseball and marketing mind. Maybe he will buy a team and let you show everyone how it is done.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2016 -> 08:04 AM)
Says the guy who calls it a season after 4 games. And the same guy who told us time and time again how important it was for the White Sox to get off to a fast start, probably because you thought there was no chance they would. Your Royals lost 5 in a row. How many teams lost their 19th-23rd games of the season and still made the playoffs? They might be done. Back up the truck.

And that statistic, as statistics often are, did turn out to have predictive validity, because the White Sox didn't come close to making the playoffs last season, as almost no teams that started 0-4, 1-4 or 8-14 have accomplished.

As far as what happens with the Royals this season, I'm not going to bother with that favored bait. I'll allow Greg to make any comments he'd like in my stead, by proxy.

As far as ZIPS goes, as of this past weekend, according to ESPN's Symborzski, the Cubs and White Sox are going to meet in the World Series and the Cubs will win. Not sure if you want to go out and bet now or not.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
And that statistic, as statistics often are, did turn out to have predictive validity, because the White Sox didn't come close to making the playoffs last season, as almost no teams that started 0-4, 1-4 or 8-14 have accomplished.

As far as what happens with the Royals this season, I'm not going to bother with that favored bait. I'll allow Greg to make any comments he'd like in my stead, by proxy.

As far as ZIPS goes, as of this past weekend, according to ESPN's Symborzski, the Cubs and White Sox are going to meet in the World Series and the Cubs will win. Not sure if you want to go out and bet now or not.

How many teams lost their 19th-23rd games of the season and still made the playoffs? I think that is as legit of a stat as one where the team lost it's first 4.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2016 -> 08:21 AM)
How many teams lost their 19th-23rd games of the season and still made the playoffs? I think that is as legit of a stat as one where the team lost it's first 4.

Statistically, getting crushed early in April has had much more predictive validity, I'll let the statisticians or Hawk Harrelson explain with "you can't win a pennant in April but you can certainly lose one."

Since you want to belabour this point, KC is probably out of the AL Central Division race already because you said so, despite their 8-2 start.

For that matter, cross the Indians off too, because they've had a similarly bad stretch of one run losses and are sinking under .500.

Nice to know we only have to worry about the Tigers now.