Early Trade Speculation

hi8is

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 13, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Rodon has struggled recently but soon, when he gets on a roll, the very thought of him being traded will make you laugh.

Rodon has some Cuban heritage, when the sox had el duque and Contreras, el duque told Contreras he needs to pitch like a Cuban. El duque wanted him to change arm angles and speeds . Contreras then began pitching better.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ May 14, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
Rodon has some Cuban heritage, when the sox had el duque and Contreras, el duque told Contreras he needs to pitch like a Cuban. El duque wanted him to change arm angles and speeds . Contreras then began pitching better.

Your statement makes no sense. It's like saying, there's one apple who didn't like being made into sauce, but he is from an apple tree. Well, two other apples were also from an apple tree and they liked being made into sauce.

Wtf and wtf.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ May 14, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)

Abreu is working with him on the arm angles but Jose will not be able to help him w his speed. Jose needs help with that himself.

Jose's running speed or the bat speed (slider speed right now)...?

Not sure why Jose Abreu is the one trying to change Rodon's arm angles/motion...because Rodon is of Cuban-American heritage and therefore he should pitch like Jose or El Duque.

Good thing they're not trying to turn him into Juan Marichal, Fernando Valenzuela or Luis Tiant if he was another nationality.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 14, 2016 -> 07:10 PM)
Jose's running speed or the bat speed (slider speed right now)...?

Not sure why Jose Abreu is the one trying to change Rodon's arm angles/motion...because Rodon is of Cuban-American heritage and therefore he should pitch like Jose or El Duque.

Good thing they're not trying to turn him into Juan Marichal, Fernando Valenzuela or Luis Tiant if he was another nationality.

Pretty sure he was being facetious

If the Padres start falling farther back would Big game Shields be a possibility? He is due 21M for this year and next. Team option in 18 or a 2M buyout. Should still be good enough to be a 3 for us. When the Padres start to suck, Would the salary due him make him available for something under our top 2 prospects? If so and the cost is mostly cash I think this would be a nice move for the Sox.

His numbers for last year and first 8 starts this year don't look to much below his career norms. It looks like walks are up but still looks like a solid pitcher. Picking him up mid year would cst the Sox around 33m for the rest of 16 and 17. I am assuming we would take the buyout instead of the option for 18.

If he wouldn't cost talent, I like this idea.

Pitching in San Diego in meaningless games in one of the friendliest parks for pitchers isn't the same as pitching in the American League. (The likes of Clayton Richard and Eric Stults were made to look good out there).

Look at Shields' 2014 stats with the Royals, particularly the 2nd half of the year and the post-season.

Giving away Anderson and Fulmer AND paying his terrible contract would be insane. Now, if they were willing to pay for half of it or 40% and take two prospects (maybe Adams would be the one dealt, along with Hawkins), it might at least be plausible.

Keep in mind, Hahn has ridden Miguel Gonzalez and Latos to just one loss the entire season in their starts, at a cost of under $5 million total. At least for the present, there is not any desperation to overpay on a starter. Of course, that could change in one month.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 14, 2016 -> 10:00 PM)
Pitching in San Diego in meaningless games in one of the friendliest parks for pitchers isn't the same as pitching in the American League. (The likes of Clayton Richard and Eric Stults were made to look good out there).

Look at Shields' 2014 stats with the Royals, particularly the 2nd half of the year and the post-season.

Giving away Anderson and Fulmer AND paying his terrible contract would be insane. Now, if they were willing to pay for half of it or 40% and take two prospects (maybe Adams would be the one dealt, along with Hawkins), it might at least be plausible.

Keep in mind, Hahn has ridden Miguel Gonzalez and Latos to just one loss the entire season in their starts, at a cost of under $5 million total. At least for the present, there is not any desperation to overpay on a starter. Of course, that could change in one month.

Agreed. I think adding a lefty power bat is higher on the list of needs as of right now. My hope is for the White Sox to maintain this 5 game lead until June with what they currently have. Once June hits, I'm sure a few teams will go into seller mode which can bode well for the Sox. There is no question that the Sox need another SP if they intend to not only win the division but to succeed in the playoffs, however we can get away with what we have for now and hope Rodon can figure things out. (Especially with his Cuban heritage)

There is no way that Shields' price is anything more than a single C prospect; anyone who pays more than that is insane.

This team has holes. They may win anyway, they may not. Cleaning out the farm for the other team's veteran du jour won't change that.

It may be fixed in the future with an influx of YOUNG talent.

Edited by GreenSox

There is no way that Shields' price is anything more than a single C prospect; anyone who pays more than that is insane.

This team has holes. They may win anyway, they may not. Cleaning out the farm for the other team's veteran du jour won't change that.

It be fixed in the future with an influx of YOUNG talent.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 15, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)

It be fixed in the future with an influx of YOUNG talent.

Yes, for his contract alone.

Otoh, if they're sending $15-20 million, it's going to cost a couple of decent prospects. Depends on how motivated they are to save half of his payroll space (just like with Matt Kemp). They're not winning anything with Kemp or Shields on the roster in the next couple of years, one way or the other.

Myers will go into arbitration next year and start becoming more expensive. He's the one I would be most interested in from that roster.

Forget Shields, wouldn't touch him regardless of the cost. His low ERA is bolstered by pitching in a pitchers paradise and in the NL. His walk rate has doubled since he signed his contract and would not bode well in the AL and pitching in the Cell. I would rather stick with Gonzalez or see what Ranaudo has to offer after a few more starts at Charlotte. SD can keep Shields and his contract.

Kole Calhoun is a name that would greatly interest me if he was put up. 3 yrs of control left, lefty bat with some pop, AL experience, plus defender...wonder what the Angels would be looking for with him?

Calhoun ain't happening. A team like the Angels in that market don't make those type of trades. You have to look to the A's, Reds, Marlins, Braves, Padres, Twins, Brewers, etc. for a trading partner.

Preston Tucker might be worth a flier, but is he any better than Shuck or Sands? Maybe a little.

I still think Billy Hamilton could be a good fit. Reds may be willing to sell or listen. You take him and make him your CF or LF and all of a sudden you have a deadly OF. No ball is getting down. That leaves Melky to DH.

The speed and defense could really change this team into an elite contender. Even having Garcia and Melky playing and Hamilton on the bench? You can all of a sudden at anytime have a pinch runner in a game to steal a base or two. And then keep him in the last 2-3 innings to play defense.

Not sure how much he'd cost. Cincy has been souring on him cause he doesn't hit about .235. But somene like that might be actually attainable over a Calhoun

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 16, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
Preston Tucker also got optioned by the Astros yesterday. I'd LOVE to have him on the Sox.

Same here. Tucker would be a nice asset to have. Seems more of a platoon bat at this point but I'd take it. Tucker could bat and play LF against RHP and Melky could DH. Avi could take LHP and DH or play LF with Melky at DH.

Question is, what would Tucker cost to acquire if he is available via trade? I would imagine the price would not be cheap.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 16, 2016 -> 05:42 PM)
Same here. Tucker would be a nice asset to have. Seems more of a platoon bat at this point but I'd take it. Tucker could bat and play LF against RHP and Melky could DH. Avi could take LHP and DH or play LF with Melky at DH.

Question is, what would Tucker cost to acquire if he is available via trade? I would imagine the price would not be cheap.

Except Avi can't hit left handed pitching.