Early Trade Speculation

hi8is

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 16, 2016 -> 07:25 PM)
I really like where you're going with this.

He's young, left handed, solid defensively, and has ridiculous speed. He'd be a great #2 hitter behind Eaton for sure.

What do you think we would have to offer?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 16, 2016 -> 07:25 PM)
I really like where you're going with this.

He's young, left handed, solid defensively, and has ridiculous speed. He'd be a great #2 hitter behind Eaton for sure.

Why is he more realistic than Reddick? He's younger and controlled until 2020.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 16, 2016 -> 08:11 PM)
Why is he more realistic than Reddick? He's younger and controlled until 2020.

Because Reddick is more of an "impact" bat that could help a contending team get over the hump as a rental.

Burns is good, no doubt, but his numbers aren't eye popping and he isn't flashy like Reddick.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 16, 2016 -> 08:36 PM)
Because Reddick is more of an "impact" bat that could help a contending team get over the hump as a rental.

Burns is good, no doubt, but his numbers aren't eye popping and he isn't flashy like Reddick.

He's probably attainable for sure but I doubt they would take a token Soxtalk offer of: Beck/Johnson, Sanchez, other random guy for him.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 16, 2016 -> 08:40 PM)
He's probably attainable for sure but I doubt they would take a token Soxtalk offer of: Beck/Johnson, Sanchez, other random guy for him.

I bet they would. Bully Burns is a mediocre baseball player.

I don't think we have the right package for Burns because they'll ask for Fulmer (arguing his upside is as a reliever, not starter), unless they're really 100% convinced that Adams is the real deal. But even Adams for Burns seems a bit thin, so they would probably ask for Adams + Danish/Trey/Hawkins.

That's where Hahn has to make a calculation...is it really better for the team to deal their second best starting prospect for an upgrade over Jackson? How much of an upgrade?

Obviously, adding another player to the "core" who is controlled through 2020 would be big. BUT, Burns seems to be the type of player who's best suited for that huge outfield in OAK. Playing 81 games at USCF, some of that benefit the A's get out of him there would be nullified.

The reason they'll ask for more than we expect is for that very same reason...young, cost-controlled and a better option at the #2 spot than anyone on our current roster. That means Beane would try to extract more value for him. If Burns is mediocre, then why would we want him? We'd just stay with Jackson for one year and let things play out.

Edited by caulfield12

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/32860/billy-burns

Going through his stats for this year, there's zero reason to pay a premium for Billy Burns.

Maybe if Austin Jackson's offense balls back to the 575-600 OPS level, it's something they can consider. He's only a .204 hitter in nearly 50 at-bats at USCF, let's hope he and the rest of the team can pick it back up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 16, 2016 -> 11:52 PM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/32860/billy-burns

Going through his stats for this year, there's zero reason to pay a premium for Billy Burns.

Maybe if Austin Jackson's offense balls back to the 575-600 OPS level, it's something they can consider. He's only a .204 hitter in nearly 50 at-bats at USCF, let's hope he and the rest of the team can pick it back up.

You're the only one saying they would need to give up a premium player.

What's stunning, well not that stunning, is the patience and optimism about OTHER team's young players who can't hit a lick, compared to the patience, optimism of SOX young players who haven't hit yet.

By the LARGE consensus hereon, Trayce Thompson was nothing but a fourth outfielder. And that's even though he absolutely raked in September. The consensus has already ruled that Saladino and Sanchez are utility infielders.

Bradley is a nice example of someone who has talent, didn't play well in his first ML attempts, but was still good. Sure they could have dumped him. But to acquire that player now, would require a top 50 prospect and a couple of other Bs

Inciarte is a slap hitter with no power who got lucky last year that his slaps found holes...the stats revealed that. Could he develop into something? Perhaps.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 17, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
What's stunning, well not that stunning, is the patience and optimism about OTHER team's young players who can't hit a lick, compared to the patience, optimism of SOX young players who haven't hit yet.

By the LARGE consensus hereon, Trayce Thompson was nothing but a fourth outfielder. And that's even though he absolutely raked in September. The consensus has already ruled that Saladino and Sanchez are utility infielders.

Bradley is a nice example of someone who has talent, didn't play well in his first ML attempts, but was still good. Sure they could have dumped him. But to acquire that player now, would require a top 50 prospect and a couple of other Bs

Inciarte is a slap hitter with no power who got lucky last year that his slaps found holes...the stats revealed that. Could he develop into something? Perhaps.

Considering Bradley Jr. was a top 25 prospect.....To think other teams' young players all have patience and it's just the White Sox problem with young hitters is obviously a case of not paying attention.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 17, 2016 -> 07:06 AM)
You're the only one saying they would need to give up a premium player.

The Angels don't need Anderson with Simmons one of the best defenders in all of baseball at that position.

So it comes down to would they accept Adams?

It's not going to be Johnson/Sanchez and a bunch of suspects...let's put it this way, last year Burns had a 2.8 WAR playing half his games at the O.CO. He's only 26, under control for multiple years and won't cost much for awhile.

The average player picked in the late first round/early 2nd round doesn't even put up a 2.8 CAREER WAR usually.

So that means he should be theoretically more highly valued to the White Sox than Spencer Adams...not to mention the fact that a 2.5-3ish WAR player would be a 1 1/2 WAR upgrade on what Austin Jackson's on pace to contribute. So while his OPS is in the mid 600's now, that doesn't mean they're just going to give him away.

Do I believe Hahn would trade Fulmer for him? No, probably not. But he would be the first player the A's will ask about.

I think Calhoun could work. The Sox could also target Jered Weaver to shore up the rotation taking on some bad salary from the Halos.

A deal like Fulmer, Michaelzeski, Guerrero, and Hawkins for Calhoun and Weaver could be enticing to them. It gives them three legit prospects that will likely be MLB players and a wild card in Hawkins if they can get him on track. The Sox take on the remainder of Weavers $20M salary and see if they can help him get right. Weaver is a pending FA, the one hangup would be a full no trade clause that he would need to waive.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 17, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
I think Calhoun could work. The Sox could also target Jered Weaver to shore up the rotation taking on some bad salary from the Halos.

A deal like Fulmer, Michaelzeski, Guerrero, and Hawkins for Calhoun and Weaver could be enticing to them. It gives them three legit prospects that will likely be MLB players and a wild card in Hawkins if they can get him on track. The Sox take on the remainder of Weavers $20M salary and see if they can help him get right. Weaver is a pending FA, the one hangup would be a full no trade clause that he would need to waive.

Weaver is throwing BP at this point in his career. There is not a chance in hell that the Sox should trade for him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)
The Angels don't need Anderson with Simmons one of the best defenders in all of baseball at that position.

So it comes down to would they accept Adams?

It's not going to be Johnson/Sanchez and a bunch of suspects...let's put it this way, last year Burns had a 2.8 WAR playing half his games at the O.CO. He's only 26, under control for multiple years and won't cost much for awhile.

The average player picked in the late first round/early 2nd round doesn't even put up a 2.8 CAREER WAR usually.

So that means he should be theoretically more highly valued to the White Sox than Spencer Adams...not to mention the fact that a 2.5-3ish WAR player would be a 1 1/2 WAR upgrade on what Austin Jackson's on pace to contribute. So while his OPS is in the mid 600's now, that doesn't mean they're just going to give him away.

Do I believe Hahn would trade Fulmer for him? No, probably not. But he would be the first player the A's will ask about.

First off, if the White Sox even thought about Anderson or Adams or Fulmer for Burns, they would be insane. Secondly, I don't think, and I could be wrong, the Angels SS situation would matter much in a trade between the White Sox and A's.

Fine, I was just writing about the Trout/Cubs trade in another thread....when I should have been thinking about Marcus Semien's future as a SS with the A's.

So basically, and you've written over and over again about the lack of career WAR coming from late 20's and early 30's (comp round) draft picks...you feel sure that Spencer Adams will produce that number and more for the White Sox?

The White Sox haven't had a solid #2 hitter in their line-up for a LONG LONG time, and yet you seem supremely confident a guy who just put up a 2.8 WAR season last year in CF isn't a good player or is overvalued/mediocre.

Why? What do you know about Burns and Adams that makes you feel so confident in your assessment/s?

If he was on the FA market, that 2.8 WAR would be worth roughly $15-20 million dollars...especially for a player at age 26 and just entering the prime of his career. Is Spencer Adams worth that much if we were to put him up for auction to the rest of the major league teams (which obviously isn't the way it works, but just a hypothetical)???

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
First off, if the White Sox even thought about Anderson or Adams or Fulmer for Burns, they would be insane. Secondly, I don't think, and I could be wrong, the Angels SS situation would matter much in a trade between the White Sox and A's.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
Fine, I was just writing about the Trout/Cubs trade in another thread....when I should have been thinking about Marcus Semien's future as a SS with the A's.

So basically, and you've written over and over again about the lack of career WAR coming from late 20's and early 30's (comp round) draft picks...you feel sure that Spencer Adams will produce that number and more for the White Sox?

The White Sox haven't had a solid #2 hitter in their line-up for a LONG LONG time, and yet you seem supremely confident a guy who just put up a 2.8 WAR season last year in CF isn't a good player or is overvalued/mediocre.

Why? What do you know about Burns and Adams that makes you feel so confident in your assessment/s?

If he was on the FA market, that 2.8 WAR would be worth roughly $15-20 million dollars...especially for a player at age 26 and just entering the prime of his career. Is Spencer Adams worth that much if we were to put him up for auction to the rest of the major league teams (which obviously isn't the way it works, but just a hypothetical)???

You literally just argued on the previous page that he isn't worth a premium prospect. Pick a f***ing lane, guy.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
You literally just argued on the previous page that he isn't worth a premium prospect. Pick a f***ing lane, guy.

I did. He isn't to the White Sox, because we don't have enough of them, and we desperately need Anderson and Fulmer to make it.

Adams, for the White Sox, is a "premium prospect," by the way. Now if we still had Frankie Montas (who some would describe as a fringe Top 100 guy but was a premium prospect for the Sox imo), then I think that's fair value for Burns. Adams, fwiw, is supposely in that MILB 100-120 range as well right now.

At any rate, I took the time and dig through his major league numbers from 2015 and his minor league numbers...

This thread alone is almost making me want to stop reading this message board ...... haha.

This isn't PlayStation or Xbox. This is Major League Baseball.

These thoughts are so one sided it's scary at times. The Angels didn't just trade for a controllable Simmons to trade away Calhoun? And this is blind, but who are their MiLB OF prospects? Do they have any? Do you think they're just going to trade away into a huge hole?

They still have a top 5 player in MLB in Trout. They have what they believe is still an asset in Pujols for a few more years -- they aren't trading us Kalhoun!!

Focus on teams that are in small markets. Focus on teams that have excess talent in the minors. Focus on teams that have excess OF's or whatever position you are proposing.

The Rays. The A's. Etc. Reddick actually might be a possibility, I just hope the Sox don't do it. I don't want a rental player where you have to give up that much.

ewafjweoijafwejiofawojiefwoeifjawoejfawoiefjwef is how I feel sometimes. I get this message board is for fun - but let's keep our wishes in the realm of reality.