Early Trade Speculation

hi8is

The Rays are a team I'd watch for sure in regards to SP. Odorizzi could be interesting.

I do wonder about ATL and Teahren. I've liked him ever since he came to the bigs. Wouldn't be a ton of pressure on him here because we have two great starters. Rodon seems to coming along slowly. It'd allow us to move Latos to the 5 spot.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 23, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
Because he's already 33 years old and is due at least $40 million through 2019.

Unless he came very cheap, I want nothing to do with him.

I bet you could get Santana for next to nothing prospect-wise. The Twins would be happy to save the doe. And realistically, Santana is worth what he gets paid ($13.5M per year). Just look at last winter's FA market for starters.

I am not super in love in Santana, but it'd be a nice move and decent way to spend LaRoche's $. Team still needs another good left handed stick, though.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 23, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
He's due the prorated amount this season plus $13.5 in 2017 and $13.5 in 2018, with a $1 million buyout for 2019. That is what pitchers cost. I'd rather have Santana for a low prospect cost and take on the contract than someone like Teheran where they'd definitely be trading Fulmer.

This.

At this point I'm guessing we do something like trade for Santana and Bruce without giving up any of our top prospects.

We could potentially add Anderson later in the season if he stays consistent so it would be like 3 upgrades.

On a side note who is Nicky Delmonico? He's pretty much dominating for us in AA right now 23 y/o .338 avg 10 hr and 31 rbi through 142 ab's

Edited by soxforlife05

I really think they should still be targeting Lucroy right now. If Im thinking about ways to position this team in the second half, you can improve the most by adding Lucroy and bringing Anderson up. I would definitely consider even giving up Fulmer to lock up our catching situation as I just dont think either catcher is reliable at this point.

Eaton

Lucroy

Cabrera

Frazier

Abreu

Lawrie

Hayes?

Jackson

Anderson

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 23, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
He's due the prorated amount this season plus $13.5 in 2017 and $13.5 in 2018, with a $1 million buyout for 2019. That is what pitchers cost. I'd rather have Santana for a low prospect cost and take on the contract than someone like Teheran where they'd definitely be trading Fulmer.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 23, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
I bet you could get Santana for next to nothing prospect-wise. The Twins would be happy to save the doe. And realistically, Santana is worth what he gets paid ($13.5M per year). Just look at last winter's FA market for starters.

I am not super in love in Santana, but it'd be a nice move and decent way to spend LaRoche's $. Team still needs another good left handed stick, though.

Mind if I jump on the Santana train with ya? I think it's a great idea. Considering the Sox were set to lay laRoche 13M and are paying Danks 15.5M, I'll happily take on Santana and his 13.5M.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 24, 2016 -> 07:17 AM)
I really think they should still be targeting Lucroy right now. If Im thinking about ways to position this team in the second half, you can improve the most by adding Lucroy and bringing Anderson up. I would definitely consider even giving up Fulmer to lock up our catching situation as I just dont think either catcher is reliable at this point.

Eaton

Lucroy

Cabrera

Frazier

Abreu

Lawrie

Hayes?

Jackson

Anderson

Lucroy is a free agent after next season. Are they going to pay a 30 year old catcher to stay around at that point?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 24, 2016 -> 07:21 AM)
Lucroy is a free agent after next season. Are they going to pay a 30 year old catcher to stay around at that point?

Probably not, not like they have many other options kicking down the door though. I imagine Narvaez can be a serviceable backup, but the FA market isn't all that appealing. Every free agent is over 30 besides Ramos.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 24, 2016 -> 07:27 AM)
Probably not, not like they have many other options kicking down the door though. I imagine Narvaez can be a serviceable backup, but the FA market isn't all that appealing. Every free agent is over 30 besides Ramos.

I bet Hahn finally gets Jason Castro in free agency

FWIW- I was listening to a Boston station the other day and they mentioned Hahn and his looking for an early trade partner. It may not be a coincidence that the Red Sox brought up Swihart very quickly after only a short period transitioning to LF in AAA. Possible showcase for Hahn???? But Sean McAdam, longtime Boston beat writer does not think there would be a trade till late June. He said every team's scouts are concentrating on the upcoming draft and trade talk is mostly back-burnered.

Now if Boston is trading Swihart they will want a top SP back ( i.e. Fulmer) in some package deal. That is why I am not sure Boston is a great trading partner even though supposedly Hahn really likes Swihart.

After all the talk about building a "sustainable" core of younger players, it's hard to imagine they would go for a 1/2 year rental and trade Fulmer in the process.

Quality pitching is so expensive, and so is quality catching, but it doesn't seem like the type of risk Hahn's going to be willing to take after the Samardzija trade went in the wrong direction. Not to mention there's no draft pick compensation, so they ONLY way that trade is made is where they have an agreement in principle and a 5-10 ten day window for the White Sox to get him to agree to an extension (similar to the Freddy Garcia situation).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 24, 2016 -> 07:34 AM)
After all the talk about building a "sustainable" core of younger players, it's hard to imagine they would go for a 1/2 year rental and trade Fulmer in the process.

Quality pitching is so expensive, and so is quality catching, but it doesn't seem like the type of risk Hahn's going to be willing to take after the Samardzija trade went in the wrong direction. Not to mention there's no draft pick compensation, so they ONLY way that trade is made is where they have an agreement in principle and a 5-10 ten day window for the White Sox to get him to agree to an extension (similar to the Freddy Garcia situation).

Meh, I dont really see much of a problem adding to the core with a controlled player. You'd like to see them get somebody for longer with a prospect like Fulmer, but they are going to need to add another big bat and they are going to need to trade prospects to do it.

You mean you're willing to sign Lucroy to a $90-100 million contract to add him to the team through 2020?

Because that's going to be the going rate...it's not just losing all the cheap and controlled years of Fulmer, it's the fact that we really can't afford that type of contract unless we make the playoffs. It's always risky to sign a catcher to a long-term extension (see McCann with the Yankees, or Russell Martin with the Blue Jays) once they've reached 30. It's one thing to bring in someone like Wieters for a single season, but a 3-5 year commitment just has so many things that can go wrong with it in terms of losing bat speed/nagging injuries/concussions/league change.

You mean you're willing to sign Lucroy to a $90-100 million contract to add him to the team through 2020?

Because that's going to be the going rate...it's not just losing all the cheap and controlled years of Fulmer, it's the fact that we really can't afford that type of contract unless we make the playoffs. It's always risky to sign a catcher to a long-term extension (see McCann with the Yankees, or Russell Martin with the Blue Jays) once they've reached 30. It's one thing to bring in someone like Wieters for a single season, but a 3-5 year commitment at that position just has so many things that can go wrong with it in terms of losing bat speed/nagging injuries/concussions/league change.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 24, 2016 -> 07:49 AM)

Because that's going to be the going rate...it's not just losing all the cheap and controlled years of Fulmer, it's the fact that we really can't afford that type of contract unless we make the playoffs. It's always risky to sign a catcher to a long-term extension (see McCann with the Yankees, or Russell Martin with the Blue Jays) once they've reached 30. It's one thing to bring in someone like Wieters for a single season, but a 3-5 year commitment just has so many things that can go wrong with it in terms of losing bat speed/nagging injuries/concussions/league change.

Why would Wieters sign a 1 year contract?

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 24, 2016 -> 06:54 AM)
Why would Wieters sign a 1 year contract?

If he has another so-so offensive/injury-plagued season and has to take another one-year offer to wait for the 2017-18 market.

Not an ideal situation. But at least he would have more motivation than giving a catcher at age 30 a three to five year extension.

Ramos is the more interesting name to me, because the cost will be lower and he's much younger, but still not seeing how we could possibly acquire him during the season.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 24, 2016 -> 08:03 AM)
Avila is a real problem at catcher. Outside of drawing some walks, his bat is completely useless. Whether it's Lucroy or a lesser option, we desperately need to add another catcher IMO.

Agreed. Time to let Navarro take 80% of the ABs. Avila can catch Sale and thats it IMO. The dude's only plan at the plate is to walk, and if that doesn't work, he's pretty much an automatic out. His ABs are hideous.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 24, 2016 -> 08:17 AM)
If he has another so-so offensive/injury-plagued season and has to take another one-year offer to wait for the 2017-18 market.

Not an ideal situation. But at least he would have more motivation than giving a catcher at age 30 a three to five year extension.

Ramos is the more interesting name to me, because the cost will be lower and he's much younger, but still not seeing how we could possibly acquire him during the season.

He's hitting .283/.330/.455, Im gonna go out on a limb and say he's not taking a 1 year deal.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 24, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
Agreed. Time to let Navarro take 80% of the ABs. Avila can catch Sale and thats it IMO. The dude's only plan at the plate is to walk, and if that doesn't work, he's pretty much an automatic out. His ABs are hideous.

I want Avila to catch Rodon as well (since Carlos has been much more effective this year with Avila catching him as opposed to Navarro), but Dioner should catch the 3 other starters for sure. His offensive upside is way better than Avila.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 24, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)

At least let Avila catch Rodon, Navarro has rated as easily the worst pitch framer in baseball this year, I think he's played a big role in Rodon's struggles this season.

Edited by OmarComing25