Early Trade Speculation

hi8is

Coming into this season, MAYBE.

Right now, pretty doubtful. For one of the best young catchers in the game, that could easily shift the balance in any divisional race.

Think of this from the perspective of a Brewers' fan. Would you be happy with that deal, when you can see how much Miller, Giles and Kimbrel, for example, were worth (yes, different contract situations)...but he's their most valuable asset and trade chip and they don't have to trade him because they're in good shape financially.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12492794...roy-needs-raise

I'm dumping Braun's deal on the first taker (Cubs/Angels) and locking up Lucroy to a long-term deal with those savings...building the core of my team around him going forward.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding a potential trade with the Brewers, this might be of interest:

http://brewcrewfever.com/2016/05/24/trade-...s-braun-lucroy/

Both Braun and Lucroy are discussed and the Sox included as a possible trading partner. Therefore, sketchy as the article is, it is relevant.

The Brewers want young affordable pitching. They would not likely target Anderson, because their #1 prospect, Orlando Arcia, is also a shortstop.

Arcia is ranked 2ND, among all SS prospects, by MLB.com.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 26, 2016 -> 07:36 AM)
Regarding a potential trade with the Brewers, this might be of interest:

http://brewcrewfever.com/2016/05/24/trade-...s-braun-lucroy/

Both Braun and Lucroy are discussed and the Sox included as a possible trading partner. Therefore, sketchy as the article is, it is relevant.

The Brewers want young affordable pitching. They would not likely target Anderson, because their #1 prospect, Orlando Arcia, is also a shortstop.

Arcia is ranked 2ND, among all SS prospects, by MLB.com.

I'd do Adams and Michalczewski for Lucroy for sure. Brewers probably wouldn't though.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 26, 2016 -> 12:29 AM)
Can we trade Robin for a bucket of bubblegum to be chewed later?

How about Hahn for a bucket already chewed. Robin only plays the hand he is dealt.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2016 -> 07:45 PM)
Coming into this season, MAYBE.

Right now, pretty doubtful. For one of the best young catchers in the game, that could easily shift the balance in any divisional race.

Think of this from the perspective of a Brewers' fan. Would you be happy with that deal, when you can see how much Miller, Giles and Kimbrel, for example, were worth (yes, different contract situations)...but he's their most valuable asset and trade chip and they don't have to trade him because they're in good shape financially.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12492794...roy-needs-raise

I'm dumping Braun's deal on the first taker (Cubs/Angels) and locking up Lucroy to a long-term deal with those savings...building the core of my team around him going forward.

The Brewers don't want to sign Lucroy. They want to trade him. They also aren't lacking funds and could sign him without dumping Braun.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 26, 2016 -> 08:12 AM)
I'd do Adams and Michalczewski for Lucroy for sure. Brewers probably wouldn't though.

Tough pill to swallow for a guy you control for only 1.5 years. I think Trey is the replacement for Frazier in 2018. With so many guys off the books after next year, giving away the few offensive pieces we have in the minors doesn't seem wise.

Where do you think Delmonico fits in the Sox future? Is he an option to compete for the third base opening, when Frazier leaves in 2018?

Then there is still Davidson. It seems like there are 3 possible replacements for Frazier, if you include Trey. So, who do you guys think has the

best shot at it? How would you rank their defense? I would guess that it would be Trey, Nicky and Matt, in that order.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ May 26, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
Yankees are only a game under .500.

Astros are 9 under. A's are 8. Angels are 5. Cincy, Padres, Minny, Brewers, Braves. Those are likelier trading partners.

Rasmus is a lefty outfielder who would seemingly be available.

I would definitely target Rasmus.

Wouldn't the Astros lose a comp pick if they traded Rasmus? If so, they may want a Top 100 prospect in return, and I'm not sure if the Sox would be willing to deliver that. I'm sure that the Sox aren't the only team that'd be interested in Rasmus.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ May 26, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)
I would definitely target Rasmus.

Wouldn't the Astros lose a comp pick if they traded Rasmus? If so, they may want a Top 100 prospect in return, and I'm not sure if the Sox would be willing to deliver that. I'm sure that the Sox aren't the only team that'd be interested in Rasmus.

Yeah they would want fair compensation for losing possible draft pick compensation and the alotted slot value.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ May 26, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
White Sox are interested in trading for either Carlos Beltran or Brett Gardner

http://showtimesports.sportsblog.com/posts...tt-gardner.html

This person has zero credibility. He puts out rumors constantly hoping something will stick. He has had 3 -4 Jimmy Butler staying/going, several Bruce/Cargo rumors to Sox, Rmors on almost every position w Bears etc...................

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 26, 2016 -> 04:19 PM)
This person has zero credibility. He puts out rumors constantly hoping something will stick. He has had 3 -4 Jimmy Butler staying/going, several Bruce/Cargo rumors to Sox, Rmors on almost every position w Bears etc...................

To be fair, he's going off tweets from Buster Olney. Beyond that is speculation, of course.

Olney is fairly well respected in regard to these sorts of things.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 26, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
Tough pill to swallow for a guy you control for only 1.5 years. I think Trey is the replacement for Frazier in 2018. With so many guys off the books after next year, giving away the few offensive pieces we have in the minors doesn't seem wise.

.242 hitter with minimal power in AA? Not impressed I think Davidson is better

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ May 26, 2016 -> 05:31 PM)
To be fair, he's going off tweets from Buster Olney. Beyond that is speculation, of course.

He is extrapolating a lot off of very little. To say the Sox are trying to trade for Gardner and Beltran is speculative at best, because reading what was posted I did not see Olney say those things

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 26, 2016 -> 06:59 PM)
He is extrapolating a lot off of very little. To say the Sox are trying to trade for Gardner and Beltran is speculative at best, because reading what was posted I did not see Olney say those things

Which is why I said he's going off tweets and beyond that is speculation.

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ May 26, 2016 -> 05:31 PM)

He isn't even doing that as far as I can tell. I can't find anything that corroborated the basis for either Gardner or Beltran.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 26, 2016 -> 08:28 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosen...526-column.html

Rosenbloom counsels waiting it out...desperate times don't call for desperate measures, as Sox will severely overpay unless they just take on a contract another team is dumping.

Even then, Rios/Peavy show the danger of that.

In hindsight, in terms of players we gave up and salary commitment we took on, neither deal hurt us or prevented us from making more moves.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 26, 2016 -> 08:28 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosen...526-column.html

Rosenbloom counsels waiting it out...desperate times don't call for desperate measures, as Sox will severely overpay unless they just take on a contract another team is dumping.

Even then, Rios/Peavy show the danger of that.

The Peavy trade didn't work out as we would have hoped, but I'd hardly consider that a bad trade.