John Danks should never start for the White Sox again

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/725876907225546752

Ventura on Danks: "Right now we're going to try to make him better so he can help us."

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/725877656093335556

A dejected Danks: "There are 24 guys in here who are setting the world on fire. I got in the way of something special tonight."

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/725883008415203328

For a team as hot as the Sox are, Ventura seemed quite down. My take: He so wants Danks to be part of this, but sees it not happening.
Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 08:31 PM)
It really sucks but they just need to release him, it's not going to work. Time to move on and attempt to find an alternative, the guy is toast and I feel awful for him.

Not at all trying to be a dick, but the guy is terrible at his job yet will never worry about his finances ever again. That's a luxury none of us have. So, no sympathy. DFA his ass.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 10:31 PM)
It really sucks but they just need to release him, it's not going to work. Time to move on and attempt to find an alternative, the guy is toast and I feel awful for him.

I honestly don't feel bad for him. I understand what he was and possibly what he could have been, but as of now, he's a liability. This emotional attachment is just going to hurt us in the long run. Let's say he pitches two straight quality starts, does this earn him another month of wetting the bed? I hate to think this way with how the team is playing, but if having one or two more terrible starts in a row means he's gone I'll accept it. The old White Sox would let loyalty trump victories. I'd hope Hahn understands this team deserves better. Whomever that better is, we'll find out -- but its not Danks

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 11:52 PM)
Shades of Jim Parque near the end...will never forget that four homer game by Mike Cameron.

I was at that game. I remember when he was going for # 5 he was walked and the crowd boooooed our pitching for doing so. His next and final at bat Cameron put it on the warning track, and he got an amazing ovation. Plus thats the game that him and Aaron Boone went back to back jacks in the first inning and then did it again in the same 1st inning. I almost saw 2 things of history in one day. 2 giys going back to back an back to back again in one inning and ALMOST a 5 home run game.The cool thing was that I had a friend from Seattle that was in town and he got to see his home team do this when we were about 20 rows behind home plate.

I don't mind Danks taking the money, MLB has a strong union and god knows there is enough money floating around the game to make sure the players get a fair shake for the value they provide to the owners. I do mind him sucking ass and taking the wind out of the sail of the team. Every start he's made he has gotten absolutely lit up where you are just PRAYING they hit it right at some one so he can get out of it. I mean, if you're one of the other 24 guys you see it, plain as day.

I don't think most fans have an appreciation for the insane competitive zeal and work ethic it takes to make it as a pro athlete. Danks put in countless hour of rehab to work to come back and you know he didn't have to do any of it he could have easily half assed it, never built up any arm strength and basically just dared the Sox to cut him. But he didn't, because there's no way a pro athlete can just turn off that competitive fire it doesn't matter if he's getting paid or not. But even for a pro, Danks went above and beyond trying to come back from this devastating injury. My understanding of the injury is that just coming back and pitching 600+ big league innings is unprecedented. Do not think Johan Santana, granted he was older, made it even 300 post capsule surgery.

It's time to use some of the LaRoche money and just write off the rest of Danks' salary and DFA him.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 09:26 PM)
A dejected Danks: "There are 24 guys in here who are setting the world on fire. I got in the way of something special tonight."

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/725877656093335556

That's just painful to read. I've been of the opinion that a lot of the negativity towards Danks was a bit excessive, but there hasn't been much this season that one could point to as support for keeping him in the rotation. DFA-ing him, though? Why wouldn't they move him to the pen (probably for use in low leverage situations) before they go that route?

If we release him nobody would pick him up cause of the salary, right? That's sad cause I'd like to see him go to the NL. I wouldn't count him out yet once he gets the arm strength fully back.

One other thing you guys have to remember ... we have four lefty starters. When you are the worst of the four, it's not easy. The other teams lick their chops that it's not one of the three great lefties. Do Danks a favor and trade him somewhere a team needs a lefty starter. Or put him in middle relief. He's our Danny Duffy. Lose him in the bullpen.

Still I can't end a thread without adding ... I love Johnny Danks!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 01:47 AM)
If we release him nobody would pick him up cause of the salary, right? That's sad cause I'd like to see him go to the NL. I wouldn't count him out yet once he gets the arm strength fully back.

One other thing you guys have to remember ... we have four lefty starters. When you are the worst of the four, it's not easy. The other teams lick their chops that it's not one of the three great lefties. Do Danks a favor and trade him somewhere a team needs a lefty starter. Or put him in middle relief. He's our Danny Duffy. Lose him in the bullpen.

Still I can't end a thread without adding ... I love Johnny Danks!

a team would take a flyer on him if released, because the sox would be on the hook for the salary. but who needs the 2016 dank aside as a roster filler or replacing an injured starter/reliever?

that said, what happened to the guy that was in spring training that corrected tipping his pitches? he looked above average not even a month ago.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 04:16 AM)
a team would take a flyer on him if released, because the sox would be on the hook for the salary. but who needs the 2016 dank aside as a roster filler or replacing an injured starter/reliever?

There are four or five NL teams with zero interest in winning games this season who would probably take on another tomato can like Danks for the minimum. He's no worse and likely better than some of the trash being run out there by the Braves and Reds.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 05:17 AM)
You can tell the guy cares and wishes he could be passable for this exciting team, but he just doesn't have ML stuff anymore. Rich or not, Danks is a guy I feel bad for but it's time for a change.

Agreed. At the end of the day, money is just a secondary reinforcer and it's hard for me to not feel bad for him after the Hayes tweets.