John Danks should never start for the White Sox again

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
I absolutely hate this line of thinking. They're already 0-4 in his starts, and in 3 of them he gave them no chance to win. He's pretty much one of the 3 worst pitchers in baseball over the last 4 seasons. We've seen too many seasons derailed over the past twenty years due to incompetent number 5 starters.

Right on the money.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 10:18 AM)
Some Sox players (wrongly) surely feel LaRoche was forced out or something along those lines.

If Danks is incredibly popular amongst teammates, that gives you pause re: what it does to chemistry.

Maybe they skip him again and do that a few more times when they can. Use Gonzalez.

Agree on the teamate part. But skipping him may make him even worse when he is not in a set schedule.

It's the AL version of pitchers batting. You know nothing good will come of his start. It's like a wasted out, only far worst. It's a wasted chance at a win. This team isn't good enough over the season to give away starts.

I agree with the poster who predicted that we'll be trading for a starting pitcher. Sale, Quintana, and Rodon are the only three reliable arms in the rotation, and the latter isn't yet conditioned to throw 200 innings.

I was also saddened to read Danks' comments. It wasn't his fault that he blew out his shoulder a few years ago, and he's gone about his business the right way since the surgery. It's disappointing that he's now a marginal player, but I bear him no ill will.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
I absolutely hate this line of thinking. They're already 0-4 in his starts, and in 3 of them he gave them no chance to win. He's pretty much one of the 3 worst pitchers in baseball over the last 4 seasons. We've seen too many seasons derailed over the past twenty years due to incompetent number 5 starters.

+1

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 49s50 seconds ago

Robin Ventura said John Danks will start again on Wednesday. #WhiteSox are off on Monday. Jose Quintana would go Tuesday vs. Boston.

*tomato flies past head*

This has to be it. I really don't see the harm in giving Eric Johnson a shot, the guy was once seen as a near certain solid back of the rotation starter with some upside. Even if he's fallen out of favor, they really have nothing to lose, they're just spinning their wheels with him at this point.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)

Robin Ventura said John Danks will start again on Wednesday. #WhiteSox are off on Monday. Jose Quintana would go Tuesday vs. Boston.

*tomato flies past head*

Typical White Sox. Danks needs to get shelled. We'll never get the message otherwise. Take one bad game here to prevent many more

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 04:29 PM)
It doesn't surprise me. One more start to evaluate him and give Gonzalez, Turner, and Johnson a look before deciding who to call up next.

We can't look at it as one more start to evaluate him. That's ridiculous. We know exactly who he is and what he's capable of. And if he gives the team a quality start, what now? Will that give him four more starts afterward?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
We can't look at it as one more start to evaluate him. That's ridiculous. We know exactly who he is and what he's capable of. And if he gives the team a quality start, what now? Will that give him four more starts afterward?

Evaluate might not be the right word. Let's just call it one last chance. If he sucks, I expect him to be gone permanently.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
This has to be it. I really don't see the harm in giving Eric Johnson a shot, the guy was once seen as a near certain solid back of the rotation starter with some upside. Even if he's fallen out of favor, they really have nothing to lose, they're just spinning their wheels with him at this point.

Ya I just don't get the EJ situation. They obviously don't think much of him but there's absolutely no harm in trotting him out there right now. Same way I felt after we were out of contention last year, see what the hell you got at least, you could be wrong White Sox.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 04:24 PM)
f*** Robin. What kind of f***ing bulls*** is this that Robin thinks that f***ing Danks give the team any shot to win any motherf***ing games.

What a f***ing joke.

While I share your anger, I doubt this is Robin's call.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
While I share your anger, I doubt this is Robin's call.

Yeah, I agree.

I also don't think that Danks will be DFA'd or traded as part of a salary-swap. It's more likely that he'll end up doing mop-up duty in the 'pen.

*tomato flies past head*

At 16-7 the fans have more belief in this team than the manager. Hahn and Kenny need to step in and make this decision for Robin, and if they can't someone has to go wake up the Chairman.

It is completely inexcusable for Danks to throw another pitch in this uniform ever again, especially if the team is competing for something meaningful. Winning teams would have John Danks sent far, far away...

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)
At 16-7 the fans have more belief in this team than the manager. Hahn and Kenny need to step in and make this decision for Robin, and if they can't someone has to go wake up the Chairman.

It is completely inexcusable for Danks to throw another pitch in this uniform ever again, especially if the team is competing for something meaningful. Winning teams would have John Danks sent far, far away...

This is real life, not a fantasy team. Baseball organizations need to be careful in how they handle veteran players who were once pretty good and won a lot of games for that organization. DFAing Danks after a few bad starts in April would be counter-productive from a PR perspective, especially after the LaRoche fiasco. Not to mention a waste of money as well. It would be much smarter for the Sox to put him on the DL, and then move him to long relief. Danks' ability to eat innings and save bullpen arms might be useful when the Sox are occasionally down 7-0 in the fourth inning.

Edited by Black_Jack29

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 05:59 PM)
Can we stop calling a eating innings an ability? Literally anyone can go out there and get destroyed while throwing a lot of pitches.

Yes, but you don't want guys like Jones, Albers, and Putnam doing that. If you're down several runs early in the game and it's unlikely that you'll win the game, you want somebody out there who (1) can throw a lot of innings and (2) you weren't planning on using in higher-leverage situations. A washed-up starter is ideal for those situations.

I'm not sure about being counterproductive PR-wise...

How smart is it to start him against one of the better offenses in the game in the Boston Red Sox, at home, where the fans will have what reaction if he gets bombed again? Wouldn't that be even more sad/depressing?

What are the odds he can shut down Boston the way he's been going?

As we keep reacting to those "relax/chill-out" comments...even Connor McKnight just said the same thing, well, we can "afford to keep sending Danks out there because we're off to such a good start/have a 3 game lead, etc.," that's wrong-headed thinking. If we were in the position of the Minnesota Twins instead, and looking up at the rest of the AL Central, what would the spin on that be? That we're already finding ourselves in a position X number of games back so we might as well wave the white flag and throw every fifth game away, yet still believe the other four starters can carry the team back into contention?

Yes, the Royals and Tigers have been struggling, and the Indians were without Brantley...this is when we should be stepping on the gas and trying to extend that lead for when the rest of the pitching starts to return to merely human.

Edited by caulfield12