John Danks should never start for the White Sox again

Buehrle>Wood

The Sox aren't stupid. Danks was already walking a tight rope with his diminished stuff and average-at-best command. Now that his stuff has further diminished, there's really no hope for success. Unless the velocity comes back and comes back soon, the Sox will make a change in the near future. At bare minimum, they'll put him on the DL and give some of the AAA guys an opportunity. Also, Robin is saying all the things a good manager should say when it comes to a high-character, long-tenured veteran. Ripping a guy like Danks to the media wouldn't go over well in the clubhouse. It's up to Rick & KW to play bad cop and make a change.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought it was very interesting that the Sun-Times beat writer wrote Saturday that "Ventura is standing behind his veteran left-hander, but the decision to keep Danks in the rotation goes above him."

If true (and I have no idea if it is) that seems to be an unusual situation where the field manager isn't making the decisions the directly impact the club.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Apr 30, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
Thought it was very interesting that the Sun-Times beat writer wrote Saturday that "Ventura is standing behind his veteran left-hander, but the decision to keep Danks in the rotation goes above him."

If true (and I have no idea if it is) that seems to be an unusual situation where the field manager isn't making the decisions the directly impact the club.

Mark

The General Manager makes the roster decisions. That isn't unusual, that is his job.

Just put him on the DL and see what happens in a month with the No. 5 starter slot. The fans despise him so why trot him out there to likely fail? The DL he can still get paid and build arm strength or learn how to be a reliever.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 30, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
Just put him on the DL and see what happens in a month with the No. 5 starter slot. The fans despise him so why trot him out there to likely fail? The DL he can still get paid and build arm strength or learn how to be a reliever.

Would be really dumb to be in the race all year and get to the end of the season and say "Wow if we only gave someone other than Danks a shot in the first half, we only came up a few games short". Give someone else a chance. 60 day DL fine but I don't want him seeing another start unless he has an ERA below 3 in Charlotte in at least 2-3 rehab starts.

Edited by soxforlife05

I think the only chance is for one of those Navarro/Eldred type trades (although why the Brewers threw a shortstop into the deal, I have no idea).

I don't think it's just a matter of the contract....I suspect there is some fear that you cut him and someone picks him up and he figures things out. Sox are hardly the only contender with a lousy 5th starter situation.

And, of course, he's Cooper's guy, and Cooper is KW's guy.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Apr 30, 2016 -> 11:45 PM)
Would be really dumb to be in the race all year and get to the end of the season and say "Wow if we only gave someone other than Danks a shot in the first half, we only came up a few games short". Give someone else a chance. 60 day DL fine but I don't want him seeing another start unless he has an ERA below 3 in Charlotte in at least 2-3 rehab starts.

Very well stated.

Mark

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Apr 30, 2016 -> 10:17 PM)
Does Danks have a son?

:lol:

By the way, one convention we have here is putting sarcasm in green.

Welcome to the board.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
The General Manager makes the roster decisions. That isn't unusual, that is his job.

It depends on how you read the quote.

Keeping him on the roster is the GM's decision, playing him should be the manager's decision. Based on the schedule, Ventura probably doesn't have much in the way of an option, if a SP is on the roster they almost have to pitch every 5th day. But, you could read into it that Ventura is being told to pitch him.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 2, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)
It depends on how you read the quote.

Keeping him on the roster is the GM's decision, playing him should be the manager's decision. Based on the schedule, Ventura probably doesn't have much in the way of an option, if a SP is on the roster they almost have to pitch every 5th day. But, you could read into it that Ventura is being told to pitch him.

No, he would be told that he is not the on the roster as a starting pitcher anymore.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ May 1, 2016 -> 12:45 AM)

Zero chance they would put him on the 60 day DL. You can get away with a 15 day trip due to a phantom injury but not a 60.

I am sure Danks making another start is a decision Ventura, Cooper, Hahn and KW came to together. The other options, Gonzalez, he wasn't so good. Johnson, he has been struggling in AAA and the Sox don't seem to trust him, or Turner who would have to be added to the roster, and then subjected to waivers if he failed, so they could lose him. Or they could try Fulmer but every indication is he needs more time.

The alternatives aren't so great. Maybe another bad one will do the trick. Hopefully he shocks the world and pitches a decent game.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 2, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
Zero chance they would put him on the 60 day DL. You can get away with a 15 day trip due to a phantom injury but not a 60.

NO reason to use the 60 day DL anyway, with a roster spot still open.

I'm rooting for Danks just to be the same guy as the last couple years. That would be acceptable 5th starter stuff.

Hope Wednesday he'll pitch well enough to face the Rangers. If not, he may be done. Like, done done.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 2, 2016 -> 10:15 AM)
Not said in a Sox context, but still of note:

But Tim Lincecum, who will stage his long-awaited showcase on Friday, according to MLB Network's Jon Heyman, still could make sense.

He's sucked for many years, and is coming off hip surgery. Expecting much out of him IMO is a huge reach. I actually think Gonzalez, Johnson, and Turner are better choices.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 2, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
He's sucked for many years, and is coming off hip surgery. Expecting much out of him IMO is a huge reach. I actually think Gonzalez, Johnson, and Turner are better choices.

Give him a minor league deal with an opt-out and give everyone a shot after a couple more Danks starts. Like you mentioned above, the other alternative aren't doing much anyway.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 2, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
Give him a minor league deal with an opt-out and give everyone a shot after a couple more Danks starts. Like you mentioned above, the other alternative aren't doing much anyway.

The thought is that no one will offer him a major league deal, so as long as the money plus the chance at the rotation are there, the Sox have a chance, if they want a chance.

I wish there was a glimmer of hope. At the minimum I wish they told us what the plan is. So far it just seems like a weekly slide into the abyss until he gives up.

I was just thinking if the team was four games under .500 Danks is just another problem, not THE problem. That could have a tremendous difference in his career.