John Danks should never start for the White Sox again

Buehrle>Wood

I know people are speculating Miguel Gonzalez back up, but here is the order I'd like to see:

Turner

Johnson

Gonzalez

Danks (unless he can put 3-4mph on his fastball, then he's #1 on this list)

And no, I don't know enough about options and how that affects my order. I just believe the most in each of those pitchers like that.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ May 3, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)
It's a nice thought, but he shouldn't. The Sox took the risk when they signed him.

I could see him hitting the DL today. Try to clear his head for a couple weeks.

Exactly right he shouldn't. The contract was signed in good faith. If it was doing the right thing and walking away from money if you can't perform, the opposite would have to be the right thing to do as well, and the Sox would owe Sale, Q, Eaton a lot of cash.

QUOTE (hi8is @ May 3, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)
Reminds me of some Areosmith song... How'd the chorus go again??

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

Dude looks like a lady

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
Piggybacking off of what Brian has said, a local sports radio host that may or may not be on the air at this moment told me they discussed releasing Danks upon arriving home from road trip. This same host tweeted about the possibility yesterday. That's all he had. I believe that this is happening. May not be by tomorrow though. We shall see.

does his name rhyme with Splat Fiegel

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
Expecting just about anyone to be better than Danks has been is a pretty good bet. That doesn't apply to Volstad.

If Danks goes on the DL, Gonzalez could come back. Otherwise, I'm not sure who else is on schedule.

Volstad has major league experience, and has been decent so far. Just saying, if he doesn't pitch tonight, he may get a spot start.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
I know people are speculating Miguel Gonzalez back up, but here is the order I'd like to see:

Turner

Johnson

Gonzalez

Danks (unless he can put 3-4mph on his fastball, then he's #1 on this list)

And no, I don't know enough about options and how that affects my order. I just believe the most in each of those pitchers like that.

I'm bad with options and contract status and all that too, but I believe with Turner if they brought him up it would have to be a relatively permanent decision compared to the others, because he could not be sent back down without hitting waivers. Somebody can correct me on my details because I'm sure they're off.

I agree with your order on "talent" alone, though.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 3, 2016 -> 07:57 AM)
It's a nice thought, but he shouldn't. The Sox took the risk when they signed him.

I could see him hitting the DL today. Try to clear his head for a couple weeks.

I saw an interview with Jim Kaat yesterday and he said he was pitching poorly one season with the Sox and Tanner gave him 10 days off to work with Johnny Sain and that's when they came up with working very quickly and Kaat won 20 games that year for the Sox.Of course Kaat pitching poorly was like a 4-6 record and an ERA of 4 so not quite the same as Danks .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (shysocks @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:18 AM)
I'm bad with options and contract status and all that too, but I believe with Turner if they brought him up it would have to be a relatively permanent decision compared to the others, because he could not be sent back down without hitting waivers. Somebody can correct me on my details because I'm sure they're off.

I agree with your order on "talent" alone, though.

The problem with Turner is even if he is 5th starter worthy, chances are you are going to have to replace him at some point during the season. The 9 innings he logged last year would make it difficult IMO to expect him to make 25 more starts. Of course the 5th starter is a guy who gets replaced often with most teams, so maybe no big deal.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (flavum @ May 3, 2016 -> 08:17 AM)
If Danks goes on the DL, Gonzalez could come back. Otherwise, I'm not sure who else is on schedule.

Volstad has major league experience, and has been decent so far. Just saying, if he doesn't pitch tonight, he may get a spot start.

Didn't Gonzales just get hit in the face with a line drive ? How is he doing ?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
Didn't Gonzales just get hit in the face with a line drive ? How is he doing ?

I've heard he's fine. Only threw a few pitches the other day before getting hit.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
The problem with Turner is even if he is 5th starter worthy, chances are you are going to have to replace him at some point during the season. The 9 innings he logged last year would make it difficult IMO to expect him to make 25 more starts. Of course the 5th starter is a guy who gets replaced often with most teams, so maybe no big deal.

That is true, and even still Turner might only need to get us through July.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 3, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
Why aren't the Sox using Erik Johnson? Serious question because I really don't know (not trying to pile on Danks).

It hasn't been officially said, but I fully believe that the Sox have no faith in him. They have had so many chances to utilize him and have not done so. I am not sure what else would explain it.