Vacation/Travel Thread

Texsox

the National Museum of the American Indian has a really good cafe, but it's a little pricey.

The Air and Space annex at Dulles is better than the one on the Mall imo. They have the Enola Gay, one of the shuttles, an SR-71 and a bunch of other interesting planes there.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 3, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
I'm probably going to Washington D.C. this summer. Are there any tourist attractions that you guys would recommend (other than the obvious ones)?

It's obvious, but absolutely go to the Air and Space Museum. Also go to the Udvar-Hazy Center, which is an additional "wing" of the Air and Space Museum but a little outside of town. It has a space shuttle. The shuttle's real big. It also has the Enola Gay, which is extremely cool for history buffs.

These are above and beyond the other attractions to me.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 3, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
I'm probably going to Washington D.C. this summer. Are there any tourist attractions that you guys would recommend (other than the obvious ones)?

Sounds like I am actually going in about 3 weeks, I just found out.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 3, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
I was there for a wedding last year, the downtown area had enough going on to have a fun weekend. If the Bears played there, I wouldn't be against going for a Saturday-Monday jaunt. But yeah, overall it looked like it really f***ing sucks.

Dont go to Cleveland for a Bears game. They are horrible to you.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 3, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
You have to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I meant to quote your lyrics and this is not related to a vacation... but I'm seeing Huey Lewis & the News in 2 weeks. So pumped.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)
Sounds like we will be making a trip to Galveston TX this summer. We'll probably rent a house on the beach, see an Astros game, spend a day at the Johnson Space Center, take the Bolivar Ferry, and plenty of beach days.

That's definitely a must. Very cool. So much to do - you could spend an entire day there.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:50 PM)
I meant to quote your lyrics and this is not related to a vacation... but I'm seeing Huey Lewis & the News in 2 weeks. So pumped.

My son works for USAA. They hired Huey Lewis & The News to play their Christmas party at the Alamodome. He made the comment, I have no idea who this band is, you probably have heard of them . . . :lol:

BTW Those cities and areas that are struggling can be great places to visit. Tap into the local energy. The people who love their towns and are fighting to bring them back to life. It won't be chains, it will be good people pouring their lives into the effort. I'd stop in Cleveland in an instant. Great music in the clubs.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 4, 2016 -> 05:46 AM)
My son works for USAA. They hired Huey Lewis & The News to play their Christmas party at the Alamodome. He made the comment, I have no idea who this band is, you probably have heard of them . . . :lol:

What does he do for USAA?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 4, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
What does he do for USAA?

He is a manager in the new member group. One of his best friends is on the banking side. They both where hired after earning their MBAs. I can't say enough about what a great company it is to work for.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 3, 2016 -> 12:30 PM)
Don't know how long you'll be there, and I don't know what your interest is, but these are always my top recommendations:

Holocaust Museum

National Museum of American History

Arlington National Cemetery

Lincoln Memorial

Vietnam and WWII Memorials

National Air and Space Museum

Bureau of Printing and Engraving

QUOTE (shysocks @ May 3, 2016 -> 12:34 PM)
It's obvious, but absolutely go to the Air and Space Museum. Also go to the Udvar-Hazy Center, which is an additional "wing" of the Air and Space Museum but a little outside of town. It has a space shuttle. The shuttle's real big. It also has the Enola Gay, which is extremely cool for history buffs.

These are above and beyond the other attractions to me.

Cool, thank you both for the suggestion. I'll definitely try to go to a few of those places for sure.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:58 PM)
That's definitely a must. Very cool. So much to do - you could spend an entire day there.

Absolutely. I actually lived in the next town over from JSC from like 1st to 3rd grade. I went to school with kids whose dads worked in Mission Control on the Shuttle Program. I love it there, and can't wait to take my kids to see it

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
Any ideas in Canada for a 3-4 day trip in August? I've been to most places I want to in the US and obviously Europe is out of the question. So leaning towards planning a trip to Canada where I've never been but I don't even know where to start.

Start at Glacier National Park in Montana, then drive to Banff National Park. Since it's a shorter trip that's probably enough, but if you've got more days I'd also recommend flying to Vancouver from Calgary and doing everything there is to do there.

This is some of what you'll see in Banff:

banff-lake-morraine_36732_600x450.jpg

QUOTE (shysocks @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
Start at Glacier National Park in Montana, then drive to Banff National Park. Since it's a shorter trip that's probably enough, but if you've got more days I'd also recommend flying to Vancouver from Calgary and doing everything there is to do there.

I had just heard of Lake Louise and it looks stunning. This is definitely the top of my list. Thanks you.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
Any ideas in Canada for a 3-4 day trip in August? I've been to most places I want to in the US and obviously Europe is out of the question. So leaning towards planning a trip to Canada where I've never been but I don't even know where to start.

If you are in Chicago, Toronto is an 8-10 hour drive, as is Niagara Falls.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 4, 2016 -> 06:46 AM)

Update: The Huey Lewis concert was last Saturday. Dude's still got it. They rocked out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2016 -> 11:54 AM)
Absolutely. I actually lived in the next town over from JSC from like 1st to 3rd grade. I went to school with kids whose dads worked in Mission Control on the Shuttle Program. I love it there, and can't wait to take my kids to see it

That's really awesome. My parents live north of Houston now (about an hour drive from JSC), so I bought a year membership. I plan to go back when I visit this summer.

QUOTE (shysocks @ May 17, 2016 -> 08:24 AM)

That looks amazing.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 17, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)
That's really awesome. My parents live north of Houston now (about an hour drive from JSC), so I bought a year membership. I plan to go back when I visit this summer.

I spent a summer (post divorce) with my dad in Conroe and one in Montgomery. Pretty country up there.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 4, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
Just booked our summer vacation this year...4 nights in Dublin then 5 nights in London in July.

I've been to Ireland 3 times, I would do one night in Dublin and then leave. It's a city, that's it. It's not what Ireland is all about, you'll have a much better time renting a car and driving around and seeing the sites, truly incredible.

In London, I thought the London Eye was very overrated, London doesn't have much of a skyline and it's $$$$

The Cabinet War Rooms were fantastic, must do. Highly recommend Stonehenge and a visit to Bath is very cool (day trip), Tower of London is cool. Learn to take the Tube the first day, best way to get around and extremely quick/efficient.

The food in London is great, no matter what anybody tells you, they just didn't do their homework. Some of the best chefs in the world operate in London.

Nightlife - if you are into dance music, fabric is one of the best nightclubs in the world, a bodysonic (subwoofers connected to the floor) dance floor. It's open through the night and usually until noon the next day it not, later. Definitely pop into any interesting pub that you may see.

If you are looking for a cheap/decent place to stay, you could stay at the London School of Economics in their dorm suites. It was a very good price compared to other places. Also, the easyhotel is very cheap but VERY small. Just for reference (not knowing your price points)