Vacation/Travel Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (kevo880 @ May 17, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)
Going to San Fran with my wife (who is 6 months pregnant) Memorial Day weekend. Any advice for some fun things to do?

Swan Oyster Depot - get there early! It's an institution for seafood and crab

If Nature Friends Tourist Club is open to the public, it's a must do. One of the coolest things I have ever seen! German beer hall overlooking Muir Woods (which you should visit)

Fisherman's Wharf is pretty much Navy Pier, I like it better than NP but it's still a tourist nightmare. Seek out Bush Man on the Wharf if you want to scare/prank your wife.

You can rent a sweet car for cheap from "Flight Car"

Check out the neighborhoods, Mission, Castro, Hayes Valley, Haight Ashbury.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
Any ideas in Canada for a 3-4 day trip in August? I've been to most places I want to in the US and obviously Europe is out of the question. So leaning towards planning a trip to Canada where I've never been but I don't even know where to start.

Toronto is a fun big city, lots of good restaurants/bars, some good sight seeing. Super, super easy to fly into from Midway.

Have heard awesome things about Vancouver & Montreal, headed there in September for a bachelor party.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ May 17, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
I've been to Ireland 3 times, I would do one night in Dublin and then leave. It's a city, that's it. It's not what Ireland is all about, you'll have a much better time renting a car and driving around and seeing the sites, truly incredible.

In London, I thought the London Eye was very overrated, London doesn't have much of a skyline and it's $$$$

The Cabinet War Rooms were fantastic, must do. Highly recommend Stonehenge and a visit to Bath is very cool (day trip), Tower of London is cool. Learn to take the Tube the first day, best way to get around and extremely quick/efficient.

The food in London is great, no matter what anybody tells you, they just didn't do their homework. Some of the best chefs in the world operate in London.

Nightlife - if you are into dance music, fabric is one of the best nightclubs in the world, a bodysonic (subwoofers connected to the floor) dance floor. It's open through the night and usually until noon the next day it not, later. Definitely pop into any interesting pub that you may see.

If you are looking for a cheap/decent place to stay, you could stay at the London School of Economics in their dorm suites. It was a very good price compared to other places. Also, the easyhotel is very cheap but VERY small. Just for reference (not knowing your price points)

Thanks for the tips. We're actually taking a day trip to Cork and Cashel so we'll only have 2 days in Dublin. Then we're taking the ferry to Wales and will spend one day in Anglesey going to Caernarfon and Snowdonia then heading on to London the next day. The Tower of London is a must for me and we have a day trip planned to Bath and Stonehenge also actually.

We spent part of last summer in Rome and Paris and found their subway systems very easy to use. How is London's? Any specific places you ate at or things you ate there that you'd recommend?

QUOTE (The Gooch @ May 20, 2016 -> 12:00 PM)
So I am going to Austin for work next week and looking to find a restaurant with some good food and live music. Anyone have any suggestions here? Will be me, my boss, and a coworker.

All in one or do you want to eat in one place and then head out? Quirky fun, high end class? Are you trying to impress?

QUOTE (Tex @ May 20, 2016 -> 12:29 PM)
All in one or do you want to eat in one place and then head out? Quirky fun, high end class? Are you trying to impress?

One place for now, and both quirky and fun work. Looking for good food and good music :)

Anything in South Congress if you are just looking for an area.

But for a specific destination go to

Mean Eyed Cat

A Johnny Cash theme place. Lots of locals. Craft cocktails and beer. Good food. Usually solid bands. You will want to order the brisket.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 20, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)

Mean Eyed Cat

A Johnny Cash theme place. Lots of locals. Craft cocktails and beer. Good food. Usually solid bands.

That sounds awesome. I love Johnny Cash *Hawk voice*

Not necessarily in the summer, but I am planning a little weekend in mid -Sept in Boyne Falls, MI.

Hoping to get a big cabin for about 20 people and do some drinking, barbecuing, golfing, firepitting, etc.

Anyone ever been up that way?

QUOTE (Tex @ May 20, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)

Mean Eyed Cat

A Johnny Cash theme place. Lots of locals. Craft cocktails and beer. Good food. Usually solid bands. You will want to order the brisket.

Thanks for the tip! Looks cool!

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 20, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
Not necessarily in the summer, but I am planning a little weekend in mid -Sept in Boyne Falls, MI.

Hoping to get a big cabin for about 20 people and do some drinking, barbecuing, golfing, firepitting, etc.

Anyone ever been up that way?

That's quite a haul! I haven't been up there but lots of friends have gone and they all loved the Traverse City/Mackinac Island area.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ May 17, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Swan Oyster Depot - get there early! It's an institution for seafood and crab

If Nature Friends Tourist Club is open to the public, it's a must do. One of the coolest things I have ever seen! German beer hall overlooking Muir Woods (which you should visit)

Fisherman's Wharf is pretty much Navy Pier, I like it better than NP but it's still a tourist nightmare. Seek out Bush Man on the Wharf if you want to scare/prank your wife.

You can rent a sweet car for cheap from "Flight Car"

Check out the neighborhoods, Mission, Castro, Hayes Valley, Haight Ashbury.

Awesome. Appreciate it!

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 21, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)
That's quite a haul! I haven't been up there but lots of friends have gone and they all loved the Traverse City/Mackinac Island area.

It's about 5 hours for my Chicago southwest suburbs guys...I'm coming from Vegas, so I figure they can suck it up a bit! My wife has some friends coming from Cleveland so it's a good spot between Chicago and Cleveland to meet.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 17, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)
Thanks for the tips. We're actually taking a day trip to Cork and Cashel so we'll only have 2 days in Dublin. Then we're taking the ferry to Wales and will spend one day in Anglesey going to Caernarfon and Snowdonia then heading on to London the next day. The Tower of London is a must for me and we have a day trip planned to Bath and Stonehenge also actually.

We spent part of last summer in Rome and Paris and found their subway systems very easy to use. How is London's? Any specific places you ate at or things you ate there that you'd recommend?

A great, high-end meal we had was Fifteen by Jamie Oliver.

Lowlander was awesome - Belgian cafe with great beer and food. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revi...on_England.html

Belgo Centraal - A Belgian beerhall that was very good.

There are so many fish and chips spots but it's pretty easy to get some subpar ones because so many do it. I'd ask someone at your hotel or a local for a place nearby to grab a pint and great fish and chips. Concierge will know the great spots that tourists don't know about.

Yeah, London "tube" is great and very easy. Enjoy!

Honolulu.

What's an acceptable but normally priced hotel on Waikiki Beach area. Or an Air B and B suggestion. Is there much traffic traveling from Waikiki Beach area to Pearl Harbor and to and from the airport and to Hawaii's campus?

Any favorite hotels not too expensive? Any must places to eat?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 24, 2016 -> 03:22 PM)
Honolulu.

What's an acceptable but normally priced hotel on Waikiki Beach area. Or an Air B and B suggestion. Is there much traffic traveling from Waikiki Beach area to Pearl Harbor and to and from the airport and to Hawaii's campus?

Any favorite hotels not too expensive? Any must places to eat?

Before you do anything, spend the $7 or $8 and purchase the app "Oahu Revealed" and familiarize yourself with it. If you are driving around, it will locate you and show you the nearest things to check out. The best way to find hidden beaches and sites that you otherwise would not know were near you

Pear Harber is 20 miles or so, 40 minutes to an hour depending on traffic.

Air BNB would be much cheaper option. Waikiki is fun but very touristy, we rented a car so we could drive to all the other areas on the island, highly recommend doing so.

Not even joking, the most memorable meal of my life was at Opal Thai on the North Shore of Oahu. It was on Diners Driveins and Drives, it was amazing, the owner is the waiter and even if the food sucked, I would return just for him.

This is going to be long-winded but we had exceptional food on Oahu, in Waikiki I recommend the following...

Marukame Udon - I would say this is a must because it's extremely authentic. My Asian buddy told me he went there 3 times during his week stay, we matched that - Udon noodle soup with shrimp tempura.

Hawaiiana had great sushi just off the main drag, very small and only a few tables.

Alan Wong's was a fantastic, high end meal

Nico's at Pier 38 - as fresh as it gets for restaurant seafood, they buy directly from the fish market next door. Great Poke

Side Street Inn - where the chefs eat late at night, Anthony Bourdain visited here on one of his shows.

Malasadas Portugese donuts at Leanards are very famous and very good.

Musubi Cafe is also very famous although I was not a fan.

Not nearly as sexy, but I just got back from Washington DC on a FINRA conference. The best advice I can give to anyone who has never been there, check in with a local Senator or Representative before you go. What they can do for you in terms of tours is about a million times better than going and doing the general tour groups. If you are a history geek like I am, the city was amazing. Such history at every turn, and so much to see.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jun 3, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
I'm looking for a beachy area in Wisconsin that I can go with my wife and 2 year old. Last year we went to St. Joseph, MI, and we enjoyed it, and are looking for something similar. Suggestions?

Crazy, my hometown is the adjoining town to St. Joe. Parents went to St. Joseph High School and recently moved back there. What did you do during your stay?

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Jun 3, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
Crazy, my hometown is the adjoining town to St. Joe. Parents went to St. Joseph High School and recently moved back there. What did you do during your stay?

Went to the beach and the downtown area; enjoyed the local food and brews. The weather wasn't the greatest, so the beach wasn't an option for a couple days, so we drove up to Holland to go to Founder's Brewery, and also to Kalamazoo for Bell's Brewery (loved that place). I think the only day the weather was decent was the day we were driving home.

Edited by smalls2598

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jun 3, 2016 -> 07:00 PM)
Went to the beach and the downtown area; enjoyed the local food and brews. The weather wasn't the greatest, so the beach wasn't an option for a couple days, so we drove up to Holland to go to Founder's Brewery, and also to Kalamazoo for Bell's Brewery (loved that place). I think the only day the weather was decent was the day we were driving home.

Yeah, sucks the weather is so unpredictable there. Did you happen to go to Silver Beach Pizza?

My wife and I are bringing her parents there for the first time in a couple of weeks. It's weird how touristy it has gotten in the last 5-10 years. Growing up there it was just like any other small town. It is nice though that wineries and breweries are popping up all over the place.