Vacation/Travel Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 11:05 PM)
Yeah, sucks the weather is so unpredictable there. Did you happen to go to Silver Beach Pizza?

My wife and I are bringing her parents there for the first time in a couple of weeks. It's weird how touristy it has gotten in the last 5-10 years. Growing up there it was just like any other small town. It is nice though that wineries and breweries are popping up all over the place.

Yea, we went there and did enjoy it. I remember the wait to get in was pretty brutal, so we got a little toasty at the bar while waiting.

Edited by smalls2598

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my work, I get the month of July off...So over two weeks in July I am renting a car and driving out east down the coast by myself from Chicago but I will be meeting some people along the way. The initial plan is to do these cities in this order; Pittsburgh, Gettysburg, Williamsburg (2 nights with my buddy who lives there), Charleston (2 nights), Savannah (2 nights), Asheville, Louisville, then home.

Since I'll be by myself and don't really plan on booking most things until the day of, any recommendations of things I should see along the way? Places I should drive out of my way for? Any tips for traveling alone? I'm pretty sociable and not afraid to talk and meet new people so I'm really looking forward to this.

My girlfriend couldn't take the time off, but this allows me to be flexible and do all the things I would like to do. I figured I might as well do these things while I'm young and don't have the responsibilities to attend to at home.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 08:56 AM)
If you are history or Civil War History buff at all, spend AT LEAST one whole day in Gettysburg. Take one of the bus tours to start, and see what interests you, and then go back to it. It is an incredibly powerful place.

That was part of my plan and reasoning behind going there. The girlfriend wouldn't enjoy it like I would. I didn't think about a bus tour, but that sounds like a great idea.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
That was part of my plan and reasoning behind going there. The girlfriend wouldn't enjoy it like I would. I didn't think about a bus tour, but that sounds like a great idea.

The bus tour will drive you through almost all of the site, hitting all of the main spots from the battle. They will also give you a nice overview of what happened at each place. This will give you an idea of what to explore more in depth after you are on your own. The battlefield really covers the entire town.

QUOTE (brett05 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
My kids think it takes two days to get to the Dells. We'll see how quick they figure it out that we are going to Disney instead.

Very cool. That will be a fun reaction to watch when they realize where they are going.

• 4 weeks later...

I just spent 4 days in Boulder, Colorado. I have been to Colorado several times in the winter, but never in the summer before. It was beautiful this time of year. Went on some great hikes, golfed, went fly fishing, and rock climbing. Can't wait to get back.

On the golf note, the altitude definitely adds distance to your game. It was actually a detriment because it took me several holes to figure it out. I kept hitting the ball further than intended, particularly with my low irons and wedges.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
Anyone have any suggestions for a 3-4 day resort with pool or beach style trip somewhere in or near Texas?

I have been wanting to go here just havent been able to fit this in to our schedule. Definitely looks nice and a lot of great reviews.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/satj...resort-and-spa/

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 09:27 PM)
I just spent 4 days in Boulder, Colorado. I have been to Colorado several times in the winter, but never in the summer before. It was beautiful this time of year. Went on some great hikes, golfed, went fly fishing, and rock climbing. Can't wait to get back.

On the golf note, the altitude definitely adds distance to your game. It was actually a detriment because it took me several holes to figure it out. I kept hitting the ball further than intended, particularly with my low irons and wedges.

I'm going to Ft. collins in two weeks. Colorado is great anytime of the year.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 08:27 PM)

Nice man. Where did you golf? Just golfed at Keystone last weekend, which was my first time golfing up in the mountains. Just as I get used to golfing at 5,000 feet in Denver, I go play up there and have to play up another club or 2. This is after just golfing back in Michigan a few weeks ago. I'd say up in the 8,000-10,000 ft range I was playing about 3 clubs up from what I was playing at 0 altitude.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 03:59 PM)
Nice man. Where did you golf? Just golfed at Keystone last weekend, which was my first time golfing up in the mountains. Just as I get used to golfing at 5,000 feet in Denver, I go play up there and have to play up another club or 2. This is after just golfing back in Michigan a few weeks ago. I'd say up in the 8,000-10,000 ft range I was playing about 3 clubs up from what I was playing at 0 altitude.

We played at Flatirons Golf Course. Local public course right there in Boulder.

It sounds like going way up in the mountains at that elevation would be really tough to play. Obviously you'd get used to it if you played enough. But for someone like me, it would be difficult.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
Anyone have any suggestions for a 3-4 day resort with pool or beach style trip somewhere in or near Texas?

Texas has hundreds of miles of great beaches. Pretty much anything from Galveston to South Padre Island is great stuff. Port Lavaca, Corpus Christi, Sand Dollar Island also worth noting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 12:21 AM)
Texas has hundreds of miles of great beaches. Pretty much anything from Galveston to South Padre Island is great stuff. Port Lavaca, Corpus Christi, Sand Dollar Island also worth noting.

Been looking and can't find a solid combination of "well reviewed hotel" and "actually on the beach so that you don't have to drive 3 miles to it every time".

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
yes

Thanks! Don't have a ride down to Midway so have to park the car there and don't wanna drag two car seats, a stroller, suitcases and two kids on a shuttle bus. That makes it easy.

We leave Sunday for a week in Sun Valley, Idaho, awesome mountain resort town.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
Been looking and can't find a solid combination of "well reviewed hotel" and "actually on the beach so that you don't have to drive 3 miles to it every time".

Everything in Galveston is within three miles of the beach. Most them are on Seawall Blvd.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 14, 2016 -> 08:13 PM)
I'm going to Denver with the lady the week after this. Unfortunately, the Rockies are out of town but were there for four days. We're staying in a AirBnB house in the Indian Creek neighborhood. I know we'll hit up at least one brewery and go hiking another day but any other suggestions or shared experiences would be appreciated.

Denver Biscuit Company is a great spot for breakfast. At night it turns into a new york style pizza place/bar that is pretty good too.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Aug 14, 2016 -> 08:49 PM)
Denver Biscuit Company is a great spot for breakfast. At night it turns into a new york style pizza place/bar that is pretty good too.

That place was on DDD. Food looked great and the atmosphere seemed really cool too.

Although almost every place that show visits seems like a great place so its hard to really tell.