Vacation/Travel Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 02:46 AM)
I checked again today, and the cheapest tickets through American Airlines now are $430. So I think I did well. Groom thinks we can get our AirBNB place at the MGM for about $120 a person for the 3 nights. So we are talking under $300 for my flight + board, with access to MGM pools.

My stress about this has changed to excitement, for sure.

Spirit is one of those nickle and dime airlines, so keep that in mind when you're packing. They charge for carry-on and checked bags, so pack light.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
Spirit is one of those nickle and dime airlines, so keep that in mind when you're packing. They charge for carry-on and checked bags, so pack light.

My tickets are through American Airlines, I just used Spirit as an example of how expensive they had been prior to (and since) I grabbed my seats.

I flew American to AZ last January, and was able to fit all clothes for the week in my carry on + backpack. Only doing 3 days in Vegas, so I'll have no problems with the same set-up.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
I went to Vegas in early October for a bachelor party. Was a great time. I recommend getting a cabana at a pool (any pool but we were at the Flamingo). Also, can you link me to where you saw cheap tickets for Vegas? Every time I look, it's around $450 round trip like you said. Thanks.

https://www.cheapoair.com

Current cheapest for the same weekend is $290 through Spirit both ways.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 12:04 AM)
https://www.cheapoair.com

Current cheapest for the same weekend is $290 through Spirit both ways.

Thanks. I'll look into it. Went in early October and won a lot of money playing roulette (found out my strategy doesn't work quite the same out here haha) and have had an itch to go back. I likely won't until next winter though.

• 4 weeks later...

July 29th my best friend is getting married in New York and me and my buddy plan on driving instead of flying. The 29th is a Saturday but we plan on heading out that way Thursday morning. What are some cool stops along the way? Niagra Falls and the Statue of Liberty are a given.

We are both love food and after spending the next 5 months dieting and exercising we have definitely decided to make stops at awesome restaurants along the way, so if you have any favorite spots I would love to hear about them.

Sucks that the Sox are playing Cleveland that weekend, but in Chicago. Would have been nice to catch the game in Cleveland.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 01:27 PM)
Does anyone know how many users can be on one account for MLB.TV? Does is max out at a certain number of people watching games with only 1 log in account?

I use it on different devices, plus my mom and sister use it on their smart TVs. Not sure there is a limit.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 09:46 AM)
Nice, where are you staying? I'll be there as well, at the Golden Nugget (first time staying downtown).

We've got a group of 11 of us going. I'm staying at the Monte Carlo, but my one friend has a suite at the Cosmo with a balcony overlooking the Bellagio fountains. I imagine most time spent in a hotel will be there.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
We've got a group of 11 of us going. I'm staying at the Monte Carlo, but my one friend has a suite at the Cosmo with a balcony overlooking the Bellagio fountains. I imagine most time spent in a hotel will be there.

Awesome, yea we try to get one nice suite so that we have a good place to watch games/pregame when not at the tables/sports books/pools. MGM Sig has nice places and so does the Elara Hilton.

This year we have one of the Golden Nugget suite's:

61753_1_master.jpg

I'm interested to see how Downtown is for a few nights, only been there for a few hours before and it should be a pretty different experience. Typically we stay near the Cosmo, love that area.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)
Awesome, yea we try to get one nice suite so that we have a good place to watch games/pregame when not at the tables/sports books/pools. MGM Sig has nice places and so does the Elara Hilton.

61753_1_master.jpg

I'm interested to see how Downtown is for a few nights, only been there for a few hours before and it should be a pretty different experience. Typically we stay near the Cosmo, love that area.

Holy s***, that's your suite??

And I'm glad you say that about the MGM Sig, because that's where I'll be for a bachelor party this summer.

I'm going to Vegas for 4 days in late May. Staying at Excalibur because it was dirt cheap and I wanted to be nearer to the Strip than I was last time.

I don't need a "better" hotel, it's just a bed and a place for my stuff.

I stayed at the Westgate last year - it's a very nice hotel, but even with the monorail stopping there, it felt far away from any of the places I wanted to go.

I'm going to spend more time at Fremont/downtown this time - I was there for a short time a couple of days last year and it's a very fun area.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)

61753_1_master.jpg

My god. That is incredible.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 12:25 AM)
Holy s***, that's your suite??

And I'm glad you say that about the MGM Sig, because that's where I'll be for a bachelor party this summer.

The Sig is a great value, we had a fantastic time there. One of the few places with balconies and being out there at 5am still drinking was extremely cool. The 3 pools makes it much easier to get good pool space, plus it's not as big of a hassle to get a chair. The downside is that you aren't directly on the strip, getting to anything is still like a 20 minute walk (it also has a tunnel to the MGM and that takes a solid 15 minutes even with the moving sidewalks pushing you).

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 08:31 AM)
My god. That is incredible.

Yea, we were blown away when looking it up. $650ish a night for it, and then we supplemented with cheap rooms (100 a night) for extra beds. When you split it among 6 people it's not bad at all.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 09:23 AM)
Yea, we were blown away when looking it up. $650ish a night for it, and then we supplemented with cheap rooms (100 a night) for extra beds. When you split it among 6 people it's not bad at all.

I'm going to keep this in mind for future Bachelor party considerations.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 10:54 AM)
I'm going to keep this in mind for future Bachelor party considerations.

I'll report back here how the stay is, they definitely seem to be the class of downtown Las Vegas and I'm interested to see how the pool atmosphere, location, etc hold up vs on the strip.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
Can anyone recommend a decent area to stay in NYC that isn't extremely expensive?

I just got into the NYC marathon, but I don't know a damn thing about NYC.

Congrats! Ran the marathon in 2015. Didn't get in this year. My recommendation would be to get a place as close to Central Park as possible allowing you to walk back after the race. The subway after the race is free, but it is extremely crowded. When I ran it, I used hotwire to get a place in Midtown near Times Square. Think I paid like $200/night. I liked it because the buses to the start line were located a block away from my hotel, and it was about a 2 mile walk back to the hotel from the finish line.

It's an awesome race. Unfortunately nothing is going to be really cheap. Have fun.

QUOTE (SoxFan2003 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 03:28 PM)
Congrats! Ran the marathon in 2015. Didn't get in this year. My recommendation would be to get a place as close to Central Park as possible allowing you to walk back after the race. The subway after the race is free, but it is extremely crowded. When I ran it, I used hotwire to get a place in Midtown near Times Square. Think I paid like $200/night. I liked it because the buses to the start line were located a block away from my hotel, and it was about a 2 mile walk back to the hotel from the finish line.

It's an awesome race. Unfortunately nothing is going to be really cheap. Have fun.

Thanks! And thanks a lot for the reply.

I wasn't aware there were buses that took you to the starting line, that helps a ton.