Danks DFA'd

justBLAZE

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:50 PM)
76 replies and 18 members reading this thread shows the level of shock regarding this move. Wow. Just wow.

The only thing that surprised me was the timing. I expected that they would give him through June to turn it around. I am guessing that they had seen something that just said no. It also shows the mindset is to win now and jetison the past

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 3, 2016 -> 04:01 PM)
The only thing that surprised me was the timing. I expected that they would give him through June to turn it around. I am guessing that they had seen something that just said no. It also shows the mindset is to win now and jetison the past

That would be my guess as well. It's been mentioned that he's lost velocity over the past year, and it would make sense for the Sox to conclude that it's not coming back.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 3, 2016 -> 05:01 PM)

They saw his results

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 3, 2016 -> 04:42 PM)
Somebody will tale a flier. It won't cost anything.

Somebody might give him that chance to pitch in the minors, but for immediate major league starts? I doubt it. And I doubt Danks wants to just hang on with the amount of money he's made.

Wish him well, thank him for the good things that he did and the efforts he put in trying to come back from the injury. But this is best for all concerned, he simply doesn't have it and the Sox can't afford to keep wasting chances.

I also give credit to the Sox for biting the bullet on a deal this large. They did the right thing.

Mark

Danks for the memories for the memories even though they weren't so great.

I wish him the best, but it's tough to feel bad for him when he's still owed 15 million.

On that note:

:hawk:

Edited by He Gawn

Like everyone else, I am shocked and would not have guessed this would happen until June. I wish Danks well but this move had to be made.

Hopefully one of EJ, Gonzalez, Turner will solidify the 5th spot in the rotation.

Good job by the FO making this call, it must not have been easy.

QUOTE (hi8is @ May 3, 2016 -> 05:53 PM)
For us out of towners, could you please recap?

Kinda typical stuff...

Tough to let Danks go.

Happy with new additions

Johnson will get an opportunity, but also mentioned Gonzalez and Turner

If a video link is available, I'll throw it on here. Coop is supposed to be on too.

QUOTE (aboz56 @ May 3, 2016 -> 03:31 PM)
Good riddance. Never liked the contract extension from day one. He's been stealing money for years.

More surprising than releasing Danks is seeing this guy post. I don't think I've seen him around here in a decade!

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 3, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
Bruce Levine

‏@MLBBruceLevine

White Sox continue to pursue a Left handed hitter as well as a starting pitcher. They have been very active

It clearly takes 2 to tangle and while I'm sure the White Sox would like to improve their current roster, how can they be 'very active'? This isn't a criticism - it's probably tough for other teams to trade core players in early May, but, at the same time, and I know I'm being picky, I can't say a team that hasn't made any moves is being 'very active'.

QUOTE (spiderman @ May 3, 2016 -> 07:31 PM)
It clearly takes 2 to tangle and while I'm sure the White Sox would like to improve their current roster, how can they be 'very active'? This isn't a criticism - it's probably tough for other teams to trade core players in early May, but, at the same time, and I know I'm being picky, I can't say a team that hasn't made any moves is being 'very active'.

Making a lot of inquiries, scouting targets, in house discussions, and/ or proposals is active, you could be actively looking for a house and not made any offers. Same type of thing.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 3, 2016 -> 03:42 PM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 24s25 seconds ago

The #Whitesox asked Danks to go to the minors but he declined

But given claims of so many posters here he was a "team player". Glad they dumped him now. No need for him to mope around in the bullpen.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ May 3, 2016 -> 07:48 PM)
But given claims of so many posters here he was a "team player". Glad they dumped him now. No need for him to mope around in the bullpen.

So he's not a "team player" because he elected to be released, rather than go to the minors? The Sox front office obviously didn't want him around anymore. Their offer to send him to the minors was nothing more than a professional courtesy.