Attendance 2016

Buehrle>Wood

Dick Allen, please don't blame me for this particular thread. Btw, you jinxed Papelbon and the Nationals earlier today with your comments.

Pete Abraham@PeteAbe

Crowd of 15,025 in Chicago for two 1st place teams. Maybe Robin Ventura needs a zany suit.

First time the White Sox have been 4 or more games ahead in 1st place since JUNE 19th, 2008. Nearly 8 years.

Edited by caulfield12

I don't understand why this is so hard to understand for folks.

The Sox have played s***ty baseball for three straight years and six of the last nine.

One month isn't going to immediately change that.

Sox sold 100,000 tickets last week...if they keep winning the crowds will be there especially when the kids get out of school.

Really it's not that hard to understand folks.

Mark

I like it. For now I can buy a $7 ticket and sit almost anywhere in the stadium. Caught some action down the RF line and also with some bleacher bums this evening. Obviously I'd prefer a raucous sell out crowd, but there are advantages to being one of the 15k as well.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:04 PM)
Sox CSN twitter

15,025 in attendance tonight at U.S. Cellular Field in a battle of the Sox. #WhiteSoxTalk

That's just awful.

Were YOU there? If not, stop it with the f***ing fan shaming.

Quote of the Night:

Adam Eaton has it pretty much right on the money:

“I can’t blame the fans for not wanting to come see us the last two years, especially with the struggles that we had."

Just change it to the last three years and he'd be exactly on the money.

Mark

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:04 PM)
Sox CSN twitter

15,025 in attendance tonight at U.S. Cellular Field in a battle of the Sox. #WhiteSoxTalk

That's just awful.

You're better than this, B>W.

I never understand why any of this matters. If they continue winning, the fans will come. We're all aware of how things work. We're also aware there will be random home games, mainly on a weekday, that don't draw well.

If history and the apparent sale of 100,000 tickets isn't enough, I won't be bothered one bit. More room for me in the park

Eaton was referring to the two prior seasons he was on the team...so he couldn't have included 2013 since he wasn't around.

"Well, they had a surprising year in 2012 and almost beat the Tigers and then sucked eggs the year before I arrived..." Wouldn't go over too well. All he can do is speak from his experience with the team/organization.

Benetti, for one, is going well out of his way to be complimentary...it's a refreshing change from the same tired old tripe from Rongey. Connor McKnight has also brought new enthusiasm to his position, everyone was just kind of in a rut, Hawk (especially) included. That said, we can see with our own eyes what's going on...we don't need to be beaten over the head with a new stat every 32 seconds to tell the story of this 2016 team.

The real question is why they didn't actually start valuing defense more and making definitive decisions on players like DeAza, Ramirez, Beckham, Gillaspie, Flowers and Viciedo much sooner.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ May 4, 2016 -> 01:35 AM)
You're better than this, B>W.

I never understand why any of this matters. If they continue winning, the fans will come. We're all aware of how things work. We're also aware there will be random home games, mainly on a weekday, that don't draw well.

If history and the apparent sale of 100,000 tickets isn't enough, I won't be bothered one bit. More room for me in the park

Maybe, eventually they will show up. If they aren't thinking about 2013, or 1982.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ May 4, 2016 -> 12:27 AM)
Were YOU there? If not, stop it with the f***ing fan shaming.

I've been to 4 out of 10 games. Unfortunately gonna miss the Red Sox series on business. I'll be there Friday though. I do my part, not too relevant though.

Walk up sales don't happen much anymore. I forgot the number but a few years ago I think in 2012 there was a walk up IIRC under 2k, and they said it was the largest walk up of the season. The days of half priced Mondays and bring a Pepsi can for a half priced ticket are OVA! Most get their tickets in advance, and if you are going to go to 2 or 3 or 4 games at most, why would you choose a game where you could freeze your ass off? Until the good seats from the good weather games are sold, the April/May games are going to not be that well attended for the most part.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 4, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
Walk up sales don't happen much anymore. I forgot the number but a few years ago I think in 2012 there was a walk up IIRC under 2k, and they said it was the largest walk up of the season. The days of half priced Mondays and bring a Pepsi can for a half priced ticket are OVA! Most get their tickets in advance, and if you are going to go to 2 or 3 or 4 games at most, why would you choose a game where you could freeze your ass off? Until the good seats from the good weather games are sold, the April/May games are going to not be that well attended for the most part.

I almost never get walk up tickets to any baseball game actually, even though I could.

The exception being the Sox, because I go with my cousins and they sit in the bullpen sports bar in front of 106 or wherever it is.

QUOTE (South Sider @ May 3, 2016 -> 11:45 PM)
I like it. For now I can buy a $7 ticket and sit almost anywhere in the stadium. Caught some action down the RF line and also with some bleacher bums this evening. Obviously I'd prefer a raucous sell out crowd, but there are advantages to being one of the 15k as well.

This. Enjoy the cheap ass tickets and pick of seats now b/c it won't be that way all season. The diehards are getting out to the stadium now, but that stadium will be very crowded come June/July.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 3, 2016 -> 11:40 PM)
I don't understand why this is so hard to understand for folks.

The Sox have played s***ty baseball for three straight years and six of the last nine.

One month isn't going to immediately change that.

Sox sold 100,000 tickets last week...if they keep winning the crowds will be there especially when the kids get out of school.

Really it's not that hard to understand folks.

Mark

Exactly, the previous years resulted in very low season ticket sales as well as sales of those partial plans. It will pick back up if the performance stays anywhere near this.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 4, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)

Do they consider same day Internet Sales the same as walk up sales? It's the same thing nowadays, in the past you buy at the gate, today you purchase online a few hours earlier and print at home.

Honestly, for game experience, my ideal is 20-25,000. That's enough fans to have an atmosphere, but not enough that there's going to be long lines at concessions and in the bathrooms, and then it won't take forever to get out of the ballpark and get home. Plus there will be guaranteed good seats available.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 4, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)
Honestly, for game experience, my ideal is 20-25,000. That's enough fans to have an atmosphere, but not enough that there's going to be long lines at concessions and in the bathrooms, and then it won't take forever to get out of the ballpark and get home. Plus there will be guaranteed good seats available.

Agreed. I really enjoy being able to walk up to just about any concession and get my stuff and go within 2 minutes. Short bathroom lines are great too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2016 -> 07:53 AM)
Maybe, eventually they will show up. If they aren't thinking about 2013, or 1982.

Sox actually had a very good, solid season in 1982. Were in the race most of the year until Bernazard broke his leg in Oakland in September and Burns came up lame at the end.

I'd take an 87 win season right now in a heartbeat, at least that puts you probably in the wild card now.

Mark