Austin Jackson

hogan873

There's been a lot of talk about how valuable Jackson has been to the Sox. Not only does he provide outstanding defense in center field, having him on the team has allowed Eaton to move to and thrive in right field. He doesn't have a great bat, but to me his defense more than makes up for that.

So, what are the chances the Sox try to sign him to an extension? And if the Sox are interested in doing so, is he interested in staying with the Sox? I know it's early, but it would be hard to imagine taking a step backward next year in the outfield.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 9, 2016 -> 08:16 AM)
There's been a lot of talk about how valuable Jackson has been to the Sox. Not only does he provide outstanding defense in center field, having him on the team has allowed Eaton to move to and thrive in right field. He doesn't have a great bat, but to me his defense more than makes up for that.

So, what are the chances the Sox try to sign him to an extension? And if the Sox are interested in doing so, is he interested in staying with the Sox? I know it's early, but it would be hard to imagine taking a step backward next year in the outfield.

The team is in no rush. See how it plays out. We are still in the one day he is a bum the next day they need to lock him up for years stage. I would imagine with his agent, signing a team friendly extension wouldn't happen anyways. If he leaves, they will find someone else. I think they have discovered a pretty good formula here. Like you said, anyone not making a lot of money but caused Eaton to move to RF and Avi to leave his glove in the clubhouse is worth a little more WAR than his numbers allow.

Heck, someone like Juan Lagares would be fine.

Just find an above average MLB CFer who will give you at least a 625ish OPS and they can make it work...ironically, this was exactly what Brian Anderson was back in 2006, but the OPS numbers required you to be a 675-725 CF to hold that position because of the inflated offensive numbers.

Hopefully Jackson will figure out a way to hit more line drives and cut down his strikeout rate, which has dogged him ever since his big league debut. The plus with Austin is he can take some walks at least, and all of those guys like Rollins and Lawrie being more patient are rubbing off on the rest of the team in a positive way...but he still has a pretty pronounced hitch in his swing.

If the White Sox were to make the playoffs, it's hard to imagine they would debut Tim Anderson AND Jacob May in the same starting line-up and expect to compete next April. More than likely, they'd bring in another veteran on a one year deal and only go to May if that veteran option failed first.

Edited by caulfield12

Austin Jackson belongs in the Major Leagues. He is changing games with his fielding.

Last year the White Sox had like 5 players in their starting lineup who were below replacement level. This year they have all Major Leaguers and a pitching staff that's awesome.

This team is legit.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 9, 2016 -> 08:52 AM)
Just find another CF to keep Eaton in RF and all will be well.

Bingo. Defensive metrics haven't been too kind to Jackson either. He's solid but he's not exactly Lagares out there.

For those that think Jacob May's bat would replace Austin Jackson's seamlessly, here's an idea of how well AJax did as a minor leaguer:

AJax

AAA .293/.349/.389

AA .285/.354/.419

A+ .345/.398/.566

May

AAA .273/.321/.374

AA .275/.329/.334

A+ .258/.326/.395

So the trajectory May is on would have to radically change for him to be an everyday MLB bat. Granted, his AAA numbers are only 100 ABs, but for this bat to be an everyday CF, he would have to have game changing defense on his side. May however projects to be just adequate-to-good.

If the goal is to save $5M with AJax next year and spend it elsewhere, I suppose I could get behind this. But i worry b/c our OF depth is so awful..........that you'd hate to give up on this thing if Jacskon really wanted to come back w/ no salary raise

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2016 -> 08:21 AM)
I would imagine that at Jackson's age, if he has a legit bounceback season, he will want to chase a big contract in free agency, and who can blame him.

That is why i am kind of shocked that KW/RH didn't get '17 options on both Jackson and Latos. Sure, it might have costed a little more money on the books for '16 (who really knows) but it would be really nice to have about an 8mil option on both players... especially considering that this offseason it appeared the Sox were still kind of on a two-three year plan. Unfortunate to see the Sox gamble on both players, giving them opportunities that likely didn't exist elsewhere, possibly have them come through, and then as a reward have to give them 3 year deals if you want them back.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ May 9, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
That is why i am kind of shocked that KW/RH didn't get '17 options on both Jackson and Latos. Sure, it might have costed a little more money on the books for '16 (who really knows) but it would be really nice to have about an 8mil option on both players... especially considering that this offseason it appeared the Sox were still kind of on a two-three year plan. Unfortunate to see the Sox gamble on both players, giving them opportunities that likely didn't exist elsewhere, possibly have them come through, and then as a reward have to give them 3 year deals if you want them back.

It could be that the Sox outbid other teams for Jackson and Latos only because they were willing to forego an option on those players. Both players are under 30 and theoretically still within their physical primes, so each player probably considers it a worthwhile gamble to take a one-year deal at this point, especially Jackson as a position player at a premium defensive position.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 9, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
For those that think Jacob May's bat would replace Austin Jackson's seamlessly, here's an idea of how well AJax did as a minor leaguer:

AJax

AAA .293/.349/.389

AA .285/.354/.419

A+ .345/.398/.566

May

AAA .273/.321/.374

AA .275/.329/.334

A+ .258/.326/.395

So the trajectory May is on would have to radically change for him to be an everyday MLB bat. Granted, his AAA numbers are only 100 ABs, but for this bat to be an everyday CF, he would have to have game changing defense on his side. May however projects to be just adequate-to-good.

If the goal is to save $5M with AJax next year and spend it elsewhere, I suppose I could get behind this. But i worry b/c our OF depth is so awful..........that you'd hate to give up on this thing if Jacskon really wanted to come back w/ no salary raise

Really poor way to look at it. Small sample size and Austin Jackson isn't nearly the hitter he was when he came up. He put up .760 OPS his first 4 years. We're talking about replacing not that guy, but a guy with a .620 OPS. I'm not necessarily for it either though.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ May 9, 2016 -> 11:27 AM)

Neither one of them would have signed here if they were forced to take an option year. The whole attraction was that they had immediate openings, and they could be on the market in a year. They both literally took less money to do so.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)
Neither one of them would have signed here if they were forced to take an option year. The whole attraction was that they had immediate openings, and they could be on the market in a year. They both literally took less money to do so.

Exactly. That and the promise of plenty of playing time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)
Neither one of them would have signed here if they were forced to take an option year.

I don't think that is a guarantee. Jackson signed very late with seemingly the only team that was willing to give him an everyday job. I'm not sure that an 8 or 9 million dollar option for '17 would have cost the Sox more than a million more this season if anything at all.

Latos is more of a stretch, as it appears much more likely that he took a discount to sign with the Sox BUT if a team wasn't willing to guarantee him a spot in the rotation how MUCH money could they have possibly been offering him? Say the Sox had to pay Latos 4 or 5 million in '16 to get an option for 8 million in '17... if KW/RH truly believed in him and weren't just placating a fan-base with a a recognizable name, paying for that option might have been worthwhile.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ May 9, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
I don't think that is a guarantee. Jackson signed very late with seemingly the only team that was willing to give him an everyday job. I'm not sure that an 8 or 9 million dollar option for '17 would have cost the Sox more than a million more this season if anything at all.

Latos is more of a stretch, as it appears much more likely that he took a discount to sign with the Sox BUT if a team wasn't willing to guarantee him a spot in the rotation how MUCH money could they have possibly been offering him? Say the Sox had to pay Latos 4 or 5 million in '16 to get an option for 8 million in '17... if KW/RH truly believed in him and weren't just placating a fan-base with a a recognizable name, paying for that option might have been worthwhile.

Latos was looking forward to a nine figure contract not that long ago. If he just wanted an extra million or two this year, he could have gotten it. He wanted a shot a job this year, and he wanted to get back onto the market as soon as possible.

Jackson had a chance to sign with Texas for another one year deal before Desmond signed down there, but he wanted to play CF. If he didn't sign here, he would have probably taken the one year deal in TX.

No way Boras was both allowing such a cheap one year deal for Jackson AND a relatively cheap option for next year at the same time...not with the lack of FA options for most teams in the coming 2016-17 marketplace.

The fact is, Jackson has been pretty terrible offensively for almost two full seasons after being a solid/above-average MLB CFer and borderline All-Star a couple of those seasons in Detroit (which plays huge offensively with the exception of down the lines).

Plus, you have his younger age to consider. Boras did what he felt was right to maximize Jackson's earning potential if he could put up a 675-725ish OPS or better this year. And, despite the "eye test," Jackson isn't grading out so far as irreplaceable in CF as much as Eaton and Cabrera (especially Adam) have both improved and Garcia's off the field, so the entire effect is even more noticeable.

In general, have no problem with these types of one year deals because they tend to bring out the best in players.

Edited by caulfield12

Figure this from Jackson's stand point. If he has a bad year, he looks for another one year bridge contract, and probably finds it based on his defense. If he has a vintage year, he doesn't want to be locked out of the market. He wants the chance to cash in.

That's why bringing in Wil Myers and a LH hitting defensive CFer (not Billy Hamilton, haha) for next season would give the outfield even better balance. Neither one's going to be prohibitively expensive.

In general, the goal is to get as many "in their prime" year player as possible. We've been fortunate with Cabrera's bat bouncing back so far this year, but there are no guarantees yet...especially with Avi's "resurgence."

Names like Leonys Martin, Rasmus (probably too expensive), someone from Arizona with Pollock coming back (maybe Owings as Drury is THE man), Lagares, Inciarte, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, etc.

Just don't overpay for Andrew McCutcheon who seems to have already peaked and is starting the decline phase of his career now (not that we have the willingness to trade away all of our best prospects in a package anyway.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 9, 2016 -> 08:16 AM)

His defense has been great and these players obviously have meshed well as a team, but as an individual player, he's hitting a .622 OPS. We can find a defensive outfielder. Root for Jacob May to have a good year.