5/10 - White Sox @ Rangers Game Thread

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 10, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
So why hasn't Sands been DFA'd yet?

The "don't mess with a good thing/manager superstition" thing. Same reason Rollins is still in there and hitting 2nd again.

There's a 50/50 chance if we lost that game a Sands move would have been made. Then again, no idea no Shuck has been doing offensively at Charlotte.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 10, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
This is what I am waiting for. He needs to trust his stuff and challenge hitters more. I think he is either overthrowing the ball or trying to be to fine or maybe both. The guy has so much talent though

If he was overthrowing or trying to throw it through a brick wall, you would see his FB velocity at 95-98.

This version is more emulating the Sale "pitch at lower speeds with more command and contact" version. Maybe he tends to either lose his control (mechanical issue) and/or gets hesitant about throwing strikes when he gets hit around so he starts to nibble at times. Obviously, when he's getting ahead in counts and has that slider in the back of hitter's minds, he can be a nightmare for opposing teams.

Of course, some pitching coaches would argue that "trying to overthrow" will lead to diminished velocity and poor/er mechanics, but I'm not 100% sure that's what he has been doing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2016 -> 05:30 PM)
The "don't mess with a good thing/manager superstition" thing. Same reason Rollins is still in there and hitting 2nd again.

There's a 50/50 chance if we lost that game a Sands move would have been made. Then again, no idea no Shuck has been doing offensively at Charlotte.

The same reason that John Danks is still the fifth starter.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 11, 2016 -> 01:22 AM)
I'm starting to lose patience with Rodon. He has too much talent to be pitching like this.

This pitch to contact approach might work with sale but it's not working for him. Command isn't good enough

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ May 10, 2016 -> 07:24 PM)
I'm going to keep saying until you people stroke my ego and acknowledge it:

1 Sale

2 Q (but really a 1)

4 Latos

5 Miguel Gonzalez/Carlos Rodon

There's a glaring hole on this team.

It sort of seems like you want Rodon to struggle.