5/11 - White Sox @ Rangers

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ May 11, 2016 -> 07:23 AM)
Man am I glad I went to bed. What in the actual f*** happened? Good luck against Hamels now lol

Robin took Soxtalk's advice and used Matt Albers in a high leverage situation. It didn't work out, so Robin is back to being an idiot. He should have used his gassed relievers because last night was a must win. Now the playoff hopes really take a hit. With Latos going today, another nugget is it will be a miracle if he holds them to single digits. So basically the White Sox are screwed.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 11, 2016 -> 07:49 AM)
Robin took Soxtalk's advice and used Matt Albers in a high leverage situation. It didn't work out, so Robin is back to being an idiot. He should have used his gassed relievers because last night was a must win. Now the playoff hopes really take a hit. With Latos going today, another nugget is it will be a miracle if he holds them to single digits. So basically the White Sox are screwed.

+1

Beauty of baseball is that you come back the next day and play and forget about yesterday's game.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 11, 2016 -> 06:49 AM)

If someone could retire Ian Desmond, that might help...

Mazara hits lefties at 630 and righties at 895.

Duke should have been used there...once he got to Moreland, it was already a brush fire.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2016 -> 08:21 AM)
Mazara hits lefties at 630 and righties at 895.

Duke should have been used there...once he got to Moreland, it was already a brush fire.

Sample size. Still had a big lead. Albers pitched the previous night, I am sure Robin was hoping not to have to use him.

If there are pitchers who should not ever be used on a roster, that isn't the manager's problem.

But I'm sure Duke would have had no problem with Mazara, because hindsight is awesome. The move that wasn't made would have easily worked out 100% of the time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 11, 2016 -> 07:25 AM)
Sample size. Still had a big lead. Albers pitched the previous night, I am sure Robin was hoping not to have to use him.

If there are pitchers who should not ever be used on a roster, that isn't the manager's problem.

But I'm sure Duke would have had no problem with Mazara, because hindsight is awesome. The move that wasn't made would have easily worked out 100% of the time.

Go back to the gamethread. Fathom called it "inexplicable" if I remember correctly...that was before the count was 2-2 on Mazara I'm sure.

Yes, Duke has been pretty lousy in high leverage situations against almost every lefty recently. Big Papi, Moreland and Chris Davis come to mind just from the past week alone.

But you still go with statistical probability. You paid Duke $5 million per year for these specific situations, not Carroll.

Everyone who has followed Sox baseball the past 30 years knows that no lead in Texas is ever safe, unless it's 7+.

Duke, Putnam and Albers in no particular order were the priority relievers over Carroll once the situation started becoming a "clear and present danger."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ May 11, 2016 -> 07:39 AM)
Play the game and get the hell out of there. Thank god there's an off day tomorrow, and maybe a rain out Friday night. This pen needs a break.

LOL. That's about how most probably feel, like the Orioles series around the time of riots.

If you look at it, 4-2 against the Rangers still SEEMS like a good record, but it could have been better...those types of games sting more. Maybe it's because we had our first chance to get to 14 games over .500 and then you're back to 12 staring at another loss and a weekend in NY and possibly just being 10 games over when we should have had a much more comfortable margin in the division.

Those two game swings happen every single day of the season in the standings, but this one hurts a lot more because losing a 5 run lead in the last couple of innings is just such a rare occurrence for an MLB team, even down its top two relievers.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)
Go back to the gamethread. Fathom called it "inexplicable" if I remember correctly...that was before the count was 2-2 on Mazara I'm sure.

Yes, Duke has been pretty lousy in high leverage situations against almost every lefty recently. Big Papi, Moreland and Chris Davis come to mind just from the past week alone.

But you still go with statistical probability. You paid Duke $5 million per year for these specific situations, not Carroll.

Everyone who has followed Sox baseball the past 30 years knows that no lead in Texas is ever safe, unless it's 7+.

Duke, Putnam and Albers in no particular order were the priority relievers over Carroll once the situation started becoming a "clear and present danger."

The bullpen was taxed. Just like your boy with the Rangers had to leave a guy in who gave up 5 walks in less than an inning. Why isn't that inexplicable? Then the people's choice Albers came in, and even if he let all the inherited runners score, the Sox would still have the lead, but he was bad. It happens. Next game. I do know if he would have pitched a taxed bullpen piece and he got hurt, that would have also been inexplicable. You and a few others have been waiting a long time to pounce on Robin. That's pretty obvious. But you pounced when it was obvious to most the problem wasn't the bullpen management. It was the performance of the pitchers.

:lol:

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 11, 2016 -> 07:53 AM)
The bullpen was taxed. Just like your boy with the Rangers had to leave a guy in who gave up 5 walks in less than an inning. Why isn't that inexplicable? Then the people's choice Albers came in, and even if he let all the inherited runners score, the Sox would still have the lead, but he was bad. It happens. Next game. I do know if he would have pitched a taxed bullpen piece and he got hurt, that would have also been inexplicable. You and a few others have been waiting a long time to pounce on Robin. That's pretty obvious. But you pounced when it was obvious to most the problem wasn't the bullpen management. It was the performance of the pitchers.

I can't crush Robin for that. Taxed late inning guys. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Let's get the series today!

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ May 11, 2016 -> 08:59 AM)
I can't crush Robin for that. Taxed late inning guys. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Let's get the series today!

That's what I say.

Keep the offense rolling. The Sox team OPS is suddenly pretty, pretty good.

Everyone is acting like the Sox are running into a buzzsaw in Hamels. Sure, he's been a good pitcher in his career, but he's been pretty average so far this season. His BB% is way up, his HR/FB is way up, and his FIP and xFIP are much higher than his ERA. I dont actually know if he's much better than Latos right now in all honesty.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 11, 2016 -> 06:22 AM)
Hamels is tough, but the Sox bats seem to be heating up. Hopefully Latos will bounce back after a couple of mediocre outings.

I hope our bats come out. I think if we get the mediocre Latos that would be a good thing and about as much as I could have expected when we signed him. He's doing a good job of pitching, but his stuff isn't good enough to continue to pitch like he did early in the season. Stay healthy and give us quality innings which keep us in the game is what I hope Latos can do. Anything more is gravy.

Come on Sox...pick up the pen from last night.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 11, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
Everyone is acting like the Sox are running into a buzzsaw in Hamels. Sure, he's been a good pitcher in his career, but he's been pretty average so far this season. His BB% is way up, his HR/FB is way up, and his FIP and xFIP are much higher than his ERA. I dont actually know if he's much better than Latos right now in all honesty.

I agree, Hamels isn't an ace anymore. And Latos was throwing harder than he has been all season last time out, if he can get some of his control back I think he'll be fine.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 11, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
I hope our bats come out. I think if we get the mediocre Latos that would be a good thing and about as much as I could have expected when we signed him. He's doing a good job of pitching, but his stuff isn't good enough to continue to pitch like he did early in the season. Stay healthy and give us quality innings which keep us in the game is what I hope Latos can do. Anything more is gravy.

Come on Sox...pick up the pen from last night.

Against the Twins last time out his stuff wasn't the problem. His velocity was up near his career averages (even hit 96), and his swinging strike rate was double what it has been this season, and was also in line with his career averages. Control was his big issue, hopefully he has a better handle on it today.