The Bench

Dunt

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 12, 2016 -> 12:03 PM)
The Sox win and people want to get rid of players

The Cubs are on track for a historical season and STILL talking about adding guys like Braun or Trout...or trading Soler to improve the team.

That's not a bad thing to have high standards and want to improve a team or make it even stronger to get through the inevitable rough patches and stretch out a divisional lead.

How many times have we heard "Well, our leaders Thome/Dye/Konerko got together with KW/Hahn and convinced him we have enough horses in the stable to win this thing..."? Of course, part of that's PR spin to convince the fans to buy in when money hasn't been spent in an attempt to improve the team.

And you do have to give them credit, they did everything they could in 2012 with Liriano (flop), Myers (flop), Hudson (won a couple of games in the late innings but in general was toast) and Youkilis (great three weeks and then just couldn't hold it together health-wise)...2010, with Manny Ramirez, that was almost kind of insulting.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 12, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
Don't get why the Cubs have to come up every other post here. Who cares?

Because there's nothing inherently terrible/bad/negative with wanting to get better?

What team is completely satisfied with where they're at...? I hate that argument, that we should just be contented and that looking for ways to improve and make the team even more competitive is a bad thing?

Or even worse, that we're not supporting Sands/Carrol/Sanchez/Erik Johnson/Saladino if we're talking about trading or replacing them?

It's kind of like that old axiom about "supporting the troops" but not in general being for war. Just because you're thinking of ways to get better doesn't mean you're a "bad" fan or whatever. Just like those folks who don't want to see war after war bristle when they're called "unpatriotic." There are always two sides to every coin.

If you want more speed, Leury Garcia and Shuck are the best options.

The problem is Garcia gives you the same positional versatility as Saladino/Sanchez (maybe can play OF more), but his bat doesn't play and he doesn't have the "automatic" basestealing ability of a Gore to just will himself into scoring position every time in the 8th or 9th inning as a PR. Plus, replacing outfielders in the late going defensively is not as much of a critical need this year, which is part of the reason why Shuck is probably in Charlotte instead of CHI.

If your one tool is speed, it better to be ELITE speed, where it can be used as a weapon. Like if we had Billy Hamilton in that role coming off the bench, for example.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
The Cubs are on track for a historical season and STILL talking about adding guys like Braun or Trout...or trading Soler to improve the team.

That's not a bad thing to have high standards and want to improve a team or make it even stronger to get through the inevitable rough patches and stretch out a divisional lead.

How many times have we heard "Well, our leaders Thome/Dye/Konerko got together with KW/Hahn and convinced him we have enough horses in the stable to win this thing..."? Of course, part of that's PR spin to convince the fans to buy in when money hasn't been spent in an attempt to improve the team.

And you do have to give them credit, they did everything they could in 2012 with Liriano (flop), Myers (flop), Hudson (won a couple of games in the late innings but in general was toast) and Youkilis (great three weeks and then just couldn't hold it together health-wise)...2010, with Manny Ramirez, that was almost kind of insulting.

*Checks website URL*

*Checks Forum*

The Cubs rant is a little out of place here, now isn't it?

Yeah, I want this team to be better, but I'm not just going to cut players and figure it out.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2016 -> 03:16 PM)
Because there's nothing inherently terrible/bad/negative with wanting to get better?

What team is completely satisfied with where they're at...? I hate that argument, that we should just be contented and that looking for ways to improve and make the team even more competitive is a bad thing?

Or even worse, that we're not supporting Sands/Carrol/Sanchez/Erik Johnson/Saladino if we're talking about trading or replacing them?

It's kind of like that old axiom about "supporting the troops" but not in general being for war. Just because you're thinking of ways to get better doesn't mean you're a "bad" fan or whatever. Just like those folks who don't want to see war after war bristle when they're called "unpatriotic." There are always two sides to every coin.

I don't have a problem with getting better, I didn't say I am completed satisfied with where we're at or the roster as constructed. I made a post regarding a few roster moves earlier in this thread.

What I said is - I don't understand why the Cubs need to be mentioned every other post.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 12, 2016 -> 03:51 PM)
I don't have a problem with getting better, I didn't say I am completed satisfied with where we're at or the roster as constructed. I made a post regarding a few roster moves earlier in this thread.

What I said is - I don't understand why the Cubs need to be mentioned every other post.

So true.