Off day ruminations

southsider2k5

Fraziers line right now reminds me a lot of Abreu's first month in 2014. Tons of RBIs and good power but low average. Abreu's was in a shorter time span though, and I think he had an injury in there.

Abreu was awesome that year.

QUOTE (Tony @ May 12, 2016 -> 05:59 PM)
I actually think this year may be the worst, considering the Sox are in 1st place and leading the AL in wins. The over-reacting to every pitch is getting obscene. And before you post "That's just how it is every year", don't. It doesn't make it right.

I think the reality is a bunch of us have forgotten how to win. To be good still involves losses. I would agree, the last couple of game threads have been pretty rough.

Ill just say I think you guys have some short term memory. Yes, Robin is second guessed but every post was calling for his head by the middle of last year (I know because I made 100s of those posts). There was legitimate traction on this site to trade Sale and blow up the entire organization. Theres still some of those posts yeah but nowhere near the level what it once was. Game threads are always going to be inherently negative.

Well, yeah...cursing out David Robertson for the "double blown" save when it was 95% caused by Jerry Sands was a bit much.

The previous blown save, you had Navarro making an errant throw leading to that tying run. (Of course, you still have to pitch over them and I can't begin to count how many 2 out runs have scored against the Sox in the past couple of weeks).

At any rate, there will always be some skepticism about the Sox ("mentally soft," "mental midgets") until they make the playoffs again.

The word "choke" was thrown around a lot in 2012. Others would just argue the more talented team finally showed up when it counted and that the White Sox and their 11 rookie pitchers were gassed.

But yeah, the cursing/expletives thing (look at me, I'm seeking attention just like the comments thread for a yahoo or TMZ article) has to go. At least try to provide SOME level of analysis or active reasoning/engagement.

It is a 162 game season. The sox don't blow that game against Texas or take one more in NY, we go 3-3. The tone would be a lot different.

Regardless, if they played 500 ball the rest of the way that would put us at 86 wins. I think we still need another pitcher, and another bat. But this is stuff that will be addressed at the deadline.

Basically, I think we are going to be fine.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
Question of the Day: Are the 2016 White Sox for real, and will they be playing in the playoffs this year?

I think they are for real. IMO, I thought 2016 was going to be a bridge year and the team was really going to be competitive in 2017 with Anderson and likely Fulmer up. This season has been a lot of fun so far and while this last week sucked, Im not really down at all on this team. I think they need another bullpen arm and think they need a #3 starter. Robin also needs to stop hitting Rollins and AJax in the 2 hole. Other than that, I have no real complaints. It's been fantastic watching Frazier and Lawrie so far and I've personally been really happy with Avi's progress. We've seen them play some really tough teams well, I think we will be watching some meaningful October baseball this year.

As an aside, I know there is a lot of concern about Rodon thus far, but I was taking a lot back through his numbers this morning and he really hasnt been that bad. 4 of his 7 starts have been quality, he's been keeping his walks down since the game against Minnesota, and he's striking people out. He's just about to hit the year mark, let's cut the kid a break, he's pitched pretty damn well all things considered. We get spoiled because Sale and Q are legitimately 2 of the best 10 pitchers in the league, having those same expectations of someone who is supposed to be our 3/4 is unrealistic.

Are the White Sox for real? They better be.

Some playoff math:

Current record: 24-14

Games left against KC, Detroit, and Cleveland: 55. If they can't go 10-9 against each of these teams, then it's just more of the same.

Just go 29-26. That brings them to 53-40.

13 more games against the Twins. Let's be nice and say 8-5. That's 61-45.

Interleague play. Tough schedule this year. NL is doing well so far. I'll take 10-10. That's 71-55.

Then there's the rest of the AL East and West. The Sox are currently 17-13, most of which was on the road. 36 games left, mostly at home. Just go 19-17.

That's 90 wins. That's winning the AL Central.

If they don't do this, they blew it.

There were a bunch of big positives to take away from a 2-4 week.

1) They were in all 6 games and could have won any of them.

2) I expected to lose 2/3 at Texas going in, and I think we had a tough luck loss with Q in New York. You're going to lose 2/3 on the road to mediocre teams on the road sometimes. I think 2-4 is fine.

3) Sale dominated as expected.

4) We are identifying the holes we need to shore up. We need another big bat, yes, but we also probably need a bit more depth in the bullpen

5) We got another servicable start from Gonzalez and he may be the fifth starter answer.

6) Todd F'n Frazier.

7) The rest of our division really sucks too right now.

I'm hoping we win 6 out of 10 home games, and split the remaining road games.

However, even if we go 1-5 in our last 6 road games in May, we finish the two toughest months of our schedule with an over .500 road record.

And even if we go just 5-5 at home, and then 1-5 on the road, we finish April and May with a 30-24 record. That pace extrapolates to a 90 win season.

I still think people look at the Cubs' cartoonish record across town and somehow expect the Sox to keep up with that.

Remember, anything over .600 ball puts us in a position to win 95-100 games.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

When they lose games, it's not like they are getting their ass kicked, they are losing in the way that a baseball team loses games. Like they scored 7 runs, but couldn't hold a lead late in the game and lost by 2. Or they held the opponent to 2 runs but just weren't hitting that day against a good pitcher. Things like that. Last year, if the opposing team got to 4 runs, you pretty much knew it wasn't happening, if you were even bothering to watch.

QUOTE (Tony @ May 12, 2016 -> 04:59 PM)
I actually think this year may be the worst, considering the Sox are in 1st place and leading the AL in wins. The over-reacting to every pitch is getting obscene. And before you post "That's just how it is every year", don't. It doesn't make it right.

I think Baltimore now has the best record in the A.L.

Mark

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2016 -> 09:00 AM)
Question of the Day: Are the 2016 White Sox for real, and will they be playing in the playoffs this year?

We'll know a lot more by the middle of next week or in about 10 days won't we?

Mark

As much as last week sucked, better to have leads to blow than to not have leads at all, right? Sure it's more frustrating, but I'd rather go 2-4 with a chance at going 6-0 than to go 2-4 and not be in a position to win any of the 4 losses. First week all year they've lost over 2 games, right the ship at home and it's all good. Plus, no ground lost in the division, I'll take it.