The Tim Anderson Timetable

Dunt

31 members have voted

1. 1. If Tim Anderson stays hot, when do you want to see him up?

• June
    • After the all-star break
    • September
    • Playoffs
    • Trade him for a bag of sunflower seeds, the White Sox don't develop anyone talented

I'm bored and slightly hung over at work, so all I really want to do is think about White Sox baseball right now. My mind is on Timmy and when he's going to be coming up and making an impact on this team. He is absolutely tearing up AAA right now and SS is a vacuous hole of suck at the major league level. How long do you want to keep seeing results from him before you entertain the idea of bringing him up? I personally think if he's still hitting like this in mid June, you bring him up. The lineup still has too many easy outs in it and I think you can easily address one of them by bringing him up.

I think he'll obviously be up in September but I don't consider him a part of 2016 plans. Perhaps he comes up and is a tremendous pinch runner and somehow makes his way up to our playoff roster though :)

QUOTE (bmags @ May 20, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
I think he'll obviously be up in September but I don't consider him a part of 2016 plans. Perhaps he comes up and is a tremendous pinch runner and somehow makes his way up to our playoff roster though :)

Yeah I could see that. He may be officially added to the 40 man after the game on August 31 to qualify for the playoff roster.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 20, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
Yeah I could see that. He may be officially added to the 40 man after the game on August 31 to qualify for the playoff roster.

If he stays pretty hot, AND we get a chance to call him up a week or two early with a DL spot to be able to give us flexibility with towards a potential playoff roster, it could actually make sense.

If he's better than the options that exist post trade deadline then there is zero doubt should come up and help contribute to hopefully a division winning club. Let's say the Sox don't move for a SS and in August you've got a .5 WAR Rollins and a .5 WAR Saladino and a 320/350/450 Anderson with solid defense in AAA -- he comes up, no doubt about it. If he can even hit 270/300/400 down the stretch that would be a huge boost and on days you want to go defense you simply plug in Saladino.

I"m about ready to cut bait on Rollins I haven't seen anything from him that suggests he is still an effective starter. His lack of range at SS is troubling.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 20, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
If he's better than the options that exist post trade deadline then there is zero doubt should come up and help contribute to hopefully a division winning club. Let's say the Sox don't move for a SS and in August you've got a .5 WAR Rollins and a .5 WAR Saladino and a 320/350/450 Anderson with solid defense in AAA -- he comes up, no doubt about it. If he can even hit 270/300/400 down the stretch that would be a huge boost and on days you want to go defense you simply plug in Saladino.

I"m about ready to cut bait on Rollins I haven't seen anything from him that suggests he is still an effective starter. His lack of range at SS is troubling.

Agreed with all of this.

When is the last time the White Sox "pushing" a hitter up to the big leagues earlier (rather than later) on his projected timeline worked out well in the long-term?

Beckham?

Semien?

Viciedo (although it's more about the positional changes than rushing him)?

Sanchez?

Micah Johnson?

I always come back to Rowand and Crede, and how long it took for them to really earn a starting spot and become 100% comfortable at the big league level. It wasn't an overnight happening. It was a process that took 2-3 years for both.

Now, in recent years, they've shown a bit more patience with guys like Trayce Thompson, and maybe it's starting to pay off. Maybe Fields, Anderson, Borchard, etc., just didn't have what it takes to stick as big leaguers. Saladino persevered through some ups and downs and was in the minors for an extensive period of time, another example.

You also have to be extra careful and go back to considering how raw he was when drafted...and how far he's come in a relatively short time, considering his basketball background and relative lack of experience in terms of repetitions at the highest level, like Rodon and Carson Fulmer experienced with their nearly year-round programs (including Cape Cod in the summer).

In the end, we all are aware there just aren't going to be many SS's on the market who will be true impact players for a contender...adding Anderson will have the effect of making a big trade, if he's ready. But the main reason there's no point to rush him is that nobody's going to run away with the division, and we shouldn't make any move out of desperation.