Garcia not playing the last few games

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 22, 2016 -> 09:35 PM)
Probably has something to do with Garcia being very cool recently and 0/12 with 4 k's against Ventura lifetime.

Sands has also been more dangerous this past week, so attempting to with the hot hand and shake things up a bit.

If Avi is supposdly a different hitter, with his new approach, shouldn't his history against a particular pitcher be of less significance?

You would think that they would like to see how the changes affect his results against a guy who had previously dominated him.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 23, 2016 -> 04:17 AM)
If Avi is supposdly a different hitter, with his new approach, shouldn't his history against a particular pitcher be of less significance?

You would think that they would like to see how the changes affect his results against a guy who had previously dominated him.

There you go, using common sense again.

No, it isn't common sense to throw out splits against a pitcher because a guy has changed his batting stance, that is ridiculous.

Avi looks the same as he has since the sox acquired him, streaky. And recently he has been trending more towards bad streaky

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 23, 2016 -> 05:55 AM)
No, it isn't common sense to throw out splits against a pitcher because a guy has changed his batting stance, that is ridiculous.

Avi looks the same as he has since the sox acquired him, streaky. And recently he has been trending more towards bad streaky

12 plate appearances is a pretty tiny sample size.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ May 23, 2016 -> 08:02 AM)
12 plate appearances is a pretty tiny sample size.

I'm fine with it. Avi's entire body of work doesn't really lend him a lot of trust

All this tells me is that we need another impact bat. We're not going to win this division with a Sands/Garcia DH duo. DH is a position that is usually a plus in the lineup and it's been either neutral or negative this year. And the need for another impact bat is only highlighted when the offense and team has struggled like it has the past 10 games... I do think another bat is more important than another SP...

I would suggest a more open/revolving door with Charlotte for the Sands and Sanchez spots (I like Sanchez - he may be a regular in time - but we already have an extra infielder - need the spot to audition bats). Saladino should play at least equal minutes with Rollins. He's hitting about the same and, dare I suggest, he's young and likely to improve with more experience. Rollins is 37 and didn't hit a lick last year either.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 23, 2016 -> 08:20 AM)
I would suggest a more open/revolving door with Charlotte for the Sands and Sanchez spots (I like Sanchez - he may be a regular in time - but we already have an extra infielder - need the spot to audition bats). Saladino should play at least equal minutes with Rollins.

I agree with this. I'd almost rather have Leury than Sanchez because Leury can play the OF and steal a base. Saladino should be the starter and Rollins should never face another RHP all season. Rollins can start at SS vs LHP. My question is: Would Rollins be better against RHP if he just hit right handed instead of batting lefty? He hit 11 homers from the left side last year compared to 2 right handed but he had a wRC+ of like 115 vs LHP I believe.

Although none of us knows what the front office really thinks of Avi, it would seem useful to give him every opportunity to demonstrate whether or not he can be the DH. If he can't, then the need for another bat becomes more acute. It is very doubtful that anyone else on this roster could fill that role. They should be letting him play as much as possible, while carefully evaluating him. In the meantime, Hahn has already stated that they are actively engaged in attempts to acquire a left handed bat.

QUOTE (Special K @ May 23, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)
We're not going to win this division with a series of sub playoff team talent.

I fixed this for you. ;)

As we have alluded to in a lot of threads, there is a whole lot of smoke and mirror success happening. As long as everyone doesn't regress to the mean at the same time, and for an extended time, we may sneak in. But we could upgrade almost everywhere. The only strategy question is what is the biggest need and what will we have to dig a hole to get?

QUOTE (Tex @ May 23, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
I fixed this for you. ;)

As we have alluded to in a lot of threads, there is a whole lot of smoke and mirror success happening. As long as everyone doesn't regress to the mean at the same time, and for an extended time, we may sneak in. But we could upgrade almost everywhere. The only strategy question is what is the biggest need and what will we have to dig a hole to get?

Who is smoke and mirrors? Sure there's a few guys overperforming expectations, but there's also a few guys underperforming expectations, regression to the mean goes both ways. And you're acting like we have a bunch of juggernauts in our division. Every other team in the ALC is pretty flawed themselves. I disagree that we'd have to "sneak in".

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 23, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
Who is smoke and mirrors? Sure there's a few guys overperforming expectations, but there's also a few guys underperforming expectations, regression to the mean goes both ways. And you're acting like we have a bunch of juggernauts in our division. Every other team in the ALC is pretty flawed themselves. I disagree that we'd have to "sneak in".

Looking at soxtalk preseason predictions, most posters did not project a division win. Most of the paid prognosticators left the Sox off the list of division winners.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 23, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
Looking at soxtalk preseason predictions, most posters did not project a division win. Most of the paid prognosticators left the Sox off the list of division winners.

Ok, you didn't really answer the question, but sure. Most of the preseason projections had the Sox finishing around 81-84 wins, right behind Cleveland. Now that they're 26-18 and several games up in the division, if they play the rest of the season out to preseason expectations, they'll be right there for a playoff spot. The Sox were basically like every other AL team, expected to be around .500, which means if you catch a couple breaks you can end up in the playoffs. That's far from a "smoke and mirrors" scenario you're claiming. That'd be more like if the Phillies made the playoffs this year.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 23, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
Ok, you didn't really answer the question, but sure. Most of the preseason projections had the Sox finishing around 81-84 wins, right behind Cleveland. Now that they're 26-18 and several games up in the division, if they play the rest of the season out to preseason expectations, they'll be right there for a playoff spot. The Sox were basically like every other AL team, expected to be around .500, which means if you catch a couple breaks you can end up in the playoffs. That's far from a "smoke and mirrors" scenario you're claiming. That'd be more like if the Phillies made the playoffs this year.

Perhaps my most optimistic thing is we're 26-18 and our best hitter is having a career worst season. So if he can get going that'll help tremendously.

Edited by SouthSideSale

It would have been like the Twins making it last year (as a wildcard).

The feeling this year, at least now that the White Sox aren't going to run away with it (for the moment) is more like those 2008 and 2009 seasons that went down to the wire and where the division winner's in that 86-89 win range rather than the lower 90's. I think it's fair to say MOST who made predictions were in that 81-85 range, in the hunt all season but just a player or two short.

I think the Nate Silver/538 projection had us winning the division at 88 games as of the Sunday evening update. Of course, there's a huge divergence with FanGraphs, who has CLE clearly winning and teams like KC and Detroit with almost no chance.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 23, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)

I guess smoke and mirrors is too vague, it seem to mean more of a stretch to you than it does me. So insert your phrase for this team is winning more than expected and without continued luck and everything going right, it probably will not continue. They are winning in spite of and not because of the talent level of the team.