Draft Profile: Zack Collins, catcher

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 25, 2016 -> 08:09 AM)
As we approach the draft, we are going to publish profiles of a number of likely White Sox targets. First up - Zack Collins, catcher from Miami U.

This is also the first article from our newest writer, Owen Schoenfeld, who is the_XSport on SoxTalk. So welcome him aboard as well!

If Collins can really mash like that, I'd move him from catcher immediately. That bat is much more valuable 160 times a season rather than 130.

Sure, if he's like Schwarber.

But there's a HUGE advantage in today's game in getting offense from the catcher's position. How many catchers have an OPS above 800 right now in the majors?

4...Castillo, Perez, Lucroy and McCann (last three are barely over)...then you've got Molina and Posey.

Having a catcher in the Top 20% at his position is a huge-difference maker, unless he just doesn't have the confidence of the pitching staff and he needs to DH, but IMO it's a lot better for a young player's development to be intimately involved in both sides of the game, at least in his first 3-4 years in the majors.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)

But there's a HUGE advantage in today's game in getting offense from the catcher's position. How many catchers have an OPS above 800 right now in the majors?

4...Castillo, Perez, Lucroy and McCann (last three are barely over)...then you've got Molina and Posey.

Having a catcher in the Top 20% at his position is a huge-difference maker, unless he just doesn't have the confidence of the pitching staff and he needs to DH, but IMO it's a lot better for a young player's development to be intimately involved in both sides of the game, at least in his first 3-4 years in the majors.

But if he's just average at best defensively is it worth it? I'd rather let him mash at 1B and just have a good defensive catcher.

Even if they decide not to stick him at catcher, he still provides a ton of value if he DHs. Things this franchise desparately needs to infuse:

-Offensive prospects....check

-Left handed power....check

-OBP ability.....check

-Potential premium defensive position.....check

If Rutherford or another high quality prospect doesnt fall to them, this should be the play. I dont expect him to move as fast as Schwarber, but if you can infuse this kid into the roster soon, that is so valuable.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 25, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
Even if they decide not to stick him at catcher, he still provides a ton of value if he DHs. Things this franchise desparately needs to infuse:

-Offensive prospects....check

-Left handed power....check

-OBP ability.....check

-Potential premium defensive position.....check

If Rutherford or another high quality prospect doesnt fall to them, this should be the play. I dont expect him to move as fast as Schwarber, but if you can infuse this kid into the roster soon, that is so valuable.

Yep. If Rutherford is on the board or someone else falls, that'd be my pick. I'd go Collins under slot if not though.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)

Technically 5... Trevor Brown had an 802 OPS as of before last night.... He's now at a 782... 56 ab's though.

Edited by Soxnfins

• 4 weeks later...