Parents Stuck With Their Kids

greg775

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 09:08 AM)
Here is where I got my start:

http://www.cdwjobs.com/ShowJob/Id/987145/S...y-Level-Inside/

They hire a ton of people, same with CH Robinson, Coyote etc. Entry level sales, work your ass off and move up. I havent seen these jobs slowing down at all, which is why its confusing when new grads cant find a job. I have a psych degree and I am in tech sales. I made 23k out of college in base salary and worked my ass off to make more. Even my tiny company has 3 open entry level sales jobs.

https://www.coyote.com/logistics-jobs/#logi...cs-jobs-section

https://chrobinson.csod.com/ats/careersite/...mp;c=chrobinson

Rock, I know this is a generalization, but I swear it seems like every damn kid I see today under 24 claims to suffer from anxiety, have panic attacks or are otherwise mental midgets. They can't handle sales jobs. They would have to talk to people, be nice, etc. After spending most of the teen years with online relationships, how do they handle real life interactions? They don't, hence panic attacks and anxiety. I see it with most of my younger son's friends (18) and even with some of the older son's friends (23).

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
Rock, I know this is a generalization, but I swear it seems like every damn kid I see today under 24 claims to suffer from anxiety, have panic attacks or are otherwise mental midgets. They can't handle sales jobs. They would have to talk to people, be nice, etc. After spending most of the teen years with online relationships, how do they handle real life interactions? They don't, hence panic attacks and anxiety. I see it with most of my younger son's friends (18) and even with some of the older son's friends (23).

I havent seen that. Most of the under 24 year old kids I know seem to be trying to specialize in some niche occupation, including going to grad school for additional qualification only to find out that there are no openings because its such a niche. I feel you need to get general experience in something like sales before you specialize in any sort of business. Even banking jobs start out in some type of sales. But thats just my opinion.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 09:51 AM)
I havent seen that. Most of the under 24 year old kids I know seem to be trying to specialize in some niche occupation, including going to grad school for additional qualification only to find out that there are no openings because its such a niche. I feel you need to get general experience in something like sales before you specialize in any sort of business. Even banking jobs start out in some type of sales. But thats just my opinion.

Yeah, I really think this is on schools. What could you possibly know other than school after going K-12, then undergrad? The schools have found a moneygrab of 4+1 and direct to masters that they market to their current undergrad students. And I sort of remember in school it seeming like grad school was much more inevitable than it was, so why not "save some money" and go straight to grad.

And that sucks. Really wish they set expectations that at least MBAs and others are more applicable after several years in business. Seems like the opposite though, that they are trying to change it so that is not the norm.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 23, 2017 -> 11:42 PM)
Jack, what is your field? You sound like a sharp guy. Cmon Soxtalk, let's get Jack a job.

Jack, out of curiosity, you've been looking for five years. Where do you live? Are your parents freaked out? You might do what caulfield suggested and head overseas to teach a year or so just to end your slump.

p.s. You said you can't even get a retail job. In five years, you couldn't get a retail job at all? No jobs whatsoever?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 12:09 AM)
Nice post. You are doing well.

Jack Parkman says he's been looking for a job for five years and can't even get a retail job. This is where I'd like more facts to delve more into the Millenial thing.

What does that mean looking for a job for five years? Does that mean just in one city, one suburb? Does it mean bugging your college admins to start helping you? Having your college advisor tell you how to get a f***ing job? Again, five years looking for a job? Does that mean applying every day? Does it mean only applying for jobs you are not gonna get? In five years you could get another degree. I realizes it costs money, but again, I don't know how anybody can look for a job for five years. Will the government give food stamps to a person who is actively seeking work for 5 years?

First off, I am high-functioning autistic so my problems start there. I have a BS in Chemical Engineering. I do work at a supportive position for those with autism but they want to help as many as possible rather than give their employees living wages. Understandable though. I have no complaints about where I work other than the pay. I have had to learn a bunch about workplace etiquette and other things about acceptable behavior in the workplace. Now that I have that knowledge, I have been looking but it is frustrating to fill out app after app that takes me 90+ minutes for not knowing whether it is worth my time and they will call me because of the ridiculous amount of industry related knowledge that I don't have that they want.

About the Retail jobs, I have an issue getting past their initial screening process because my idea of what they want to hear in the personality tests and their actual ideas of what they want to hear don't match up. I had to have someone tell me what they wanted to hear when I got my only job in that field, and the tests are significantly harder to "beat" now for a non-neurotypical. Therefore, I am living at home and have pretty much zero earning power. I have to drive 100 miles round trip for a 5 hr day and that is all I have had for 4 years. The work is not consistent, and there are times where I spend 2 weeks without work. Honestly I'm just grateful that I have something to do, rather than nothing at all. I feel incredibly lucky that I live in a major metro area, where supportive employment exists.

Most of the pressure comes from myself, rather than my folks because they know that it is hard for neurotypicals out there in my age group. Add in the autism and it makes it even worse. I hold myself to a high standard. I have an incredibly hard time learning from interview to interview because I can't read the interviewer based on voice tone and body language and without verbal feedback, I have no idea where my mistakes came from. It is like beating my head against a brick wall. Honestly, I have no idea when I leave one whether I did well or not.

I have been using every resource available to me RE: Job coaching, mock interviews, University resources, bugging even the president of my university, complaining that I have been left behind. I network to the best of my ability at two industry societies but still nothing. I was starting with zero knowledge of the job search process when I graduated, so it has been a struggle to learn that over the last 5 years.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 10:22 AM)

Yeah. That's a generalization and generally BS. For instance, most political campaigns are entirely run on 18-24 year olds, and that job includes talking to a ton of people every single day about difficult and charged subjects.

Stop with the Millennials are terrible BS. It's completely and factually untrue.

I was tempted to write up a rebuttal, but I know it will fall on deaf ears.

It is amazing how these damned kids just ended up this way completely on their own.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 01:39 PM)
Wait, Alpha you actually think an entire generation has panic attacks, in everyday conversations?

I just...I mean...WTF

First, I didn't say that. So please read a little better. Second, with anywhere from 10% to 33% (depending on which med report you read) of people under 24 on Adderol or other type meds, 1 in 8 suffering from depression is it such a stretch to go with a lot of kids are f***ed up? I know not all are. Just from my anecdotal views, I have 2 nieces who are stellar students and I have 2 others that are going to be on government handouts for most of their lives, I believe. Panic attacks, anxiety, OMG, I can't have a job where I have to talk to people! (one actually said that, while she was tweeting something). Most of the adults I know have one or more kids on some type of attention drugs. I believe I said something like " it seems like every damn kid I see today ...". Not 'an entire generation is f***ed up'.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
First, I didn't say that. So please read a little better. Second, with anywhere from 10% to 33% (depending on which med report you read) of people under 24 on Adderol or other type meds, 1 in 8 suffering from depression is it such a stretch to go with a lot of kids are f***ed up? I know not all are. Just from my anecdotal views, I have 2 nieces who are stellar students and I have 2 others that are going to be on government handouts for most of their lives, I believe. Panic attacks, anxiety, OMG, I can't have a job where I have to talk to people! (one actually said that, while she was tweeting something). Most of the adults I know have one or more kids on some type of attention drugs. I believe I said something like " it seems like every damn kid I see today ...". Not 'an entire generation is f***ed up'.

Um. 7% of all people suffer from depression, and for teenagers to deal with it at a SLIGHTLY higher rate seems, um, completely normal and identical to the experience of every generation ever. So. Seems your rage is misplaced.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 02:39 PM)
blah blah blah get off my lawn blah blah blah alternative facts

This post has been edited by a Soxtalk Administrator since it violates board policy. Name calling will not be tolerated, and can result in suspension or banning.

Warning for all parties: name calling and personal insults are off limits, stop or you will be suspended.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 02:38 PM)
Um. 7% of all people suffer from depression, and for teenagers to deal with it at a SLIGHTLY higher rate seems, um, completely normal and identical to the experience of every generation ever. So. Seems your rage is misplaced.

11% ADHD according to cdc.

8% with depression

From the cdc website "The percentage of children with an ADHD diagnosis continues to increase, from 7.8% in 2003 to 9.5% in 2007 and to 11.0% in 2011." So slightly is almost 40% from 2003 to 2011. The only rage I see is coming from you, who like Jenks pointed out, takes everything you don't agree with as a personal assault and license to be an ass.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
I love how you go from being a gigantic p**** when it comes to talking to people you agree with (i.e., your feminazi friend) to an ass when it comes to people you don't agree with. Is there really a need for this kind of post? Like you've never over-generalized before when talking about a specific group of people?

I'd get banned for this post. Just sayin'

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 05:30 PM)
11% ADHD according to cdc.

8% with depression

From the cdc website "The percentage of children with an ADHD diagnosis continues to increase, from 7.8% in 2003 to 9.5% in 2007 and to 11.0% in 2011." So slightly is almost 40% from 2003 to 2011. The only rage I see is coming from you, who like Jenks pointed out, takes everything you don't agree with as a personal assault and license to be an ass.

you can't shift the goalpost from depression to ADHD because it better serves your argument. I agree that ADHD is overdiagnosed. I think it's a problem. Over-perscription is something I think is very real in this country, and does have its side-effects. I think it's a valid concern that kids have far more experience interacting digitally than in person. But your overgeneralizing doesn't help solve the problem, and it pisses Millennials like me off to continually hear what "disasters" we are given the world we've inherited.

And please. That last sentence could be flipped to talk about you and other far-right posters on this board just as easily. Sounds like someone's feeling a little snowflake-y.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
I love how you go from being a gigantic p**** when it comes to talking to people you agree with (i.e., your feminazi friend) to an ass when it comes to people you don't agree with. Is there really a need for this kind of post? Like you've never over-generalized before when talking about a specific group of people?

Mods I'm actually serious about this. What's the line? Because I'm on my last of 3 strikes, over the 13 years I've been here, and I've been completely civil in the year I've been back because I enjoy this community and would like to remain apart of it. However, if this type of thing is allowed now, then I guess I don't need to be as conscious of my tone as I have been for the last year. Input would be appreciated. Because that all sounds like a personal attack. /snowflake

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/beg-packing-bri...t-asia-travels/

More Millennial madness, lol...in all seriousness, this whole GoFundMe thing is getting out of hand.

About the only thing you can guarantee people won't donate money to is to pay down the US Federal Debt.

I like the way Simon Sinek packaged his summary re millennials. Four aspects were identifed characterising millennials. Parenting, technology, impatience and environment. He nicely teases these out, however points two and three intersect and essentially create the fourth, their environment. He does underestimate some achievements but i take his argument as presented.

I would cut to the chase and and label their problem largely created and served by instantaneous gratification. Technology. Social media. The fact that these gofundme type appeals for holidays and become normalized disgusts me, but I like many here, are not wholly immersed in their world and these pride stripping appeals are now normalized. It is okay to ask for a hand out. Values have seismically shifted and deem to be returning any time soon.

Having to work and save for a holiday or car or a house was something we all did. THe millennials just do not see the need and worse cannot appreciate the feeling and pride in having done so. Most of these kids have never changed a tire on a car and these small pragmatics skills are leaving them under-educated.

Sinek's point re phones [ or connectedness] is good too. The dopamine hit is a real management issue going forward. Kids are unable to cope without them in proximity. Serious anxiety levels become elevated. But worse than that, they cannot read a map, our friend here Jacob Stroner would not be able or WANT TO travel Europe with a guide book as we did, use coin operated telephones or acquire a spattering of enough learnt language to cross continents with traveler's cheques.

Millennials do not have the patience, lateral thinking, gifted demeanor and unfortunately, now, the opportunity to practice these little things which are larger than they appreciate.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/980006...travels/?page=2

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylc=X3oDMT...ss&ei=UTF-8

Link to Simon Sinek videos on millennials, internet addiction, workplace, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

Actually, I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other about this topic.

Generalizations are not overly helpful. It's interesting that almost nobody reached out to Jack Parkman (unless they all did it by PM), there was a debate which led nowhere, but if we can't discuss it constructively on a message board, there's very little hope of bridging these generational differences in real life.

Whatever politics is today, it has certainly succeeded in pitting sides against each other instead of unifying everyone together as Americans. Rich vs. poor, black vs. white, Christian vs. atheist, scientists vs. their opposites, the list goes on and on.

And actually, this is a huge failure of the Democratic Party. Instead of providing helpful solutions, we're constantly debating things intellectually but not necessarily helping as much as we should be. There's time for talking, but actions are even more important. It's where we are stuck as a country, polarized, with only a common enemy being capable of bringing people together across all spectrums.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 09:47 PM)
Mods I'm actually serious about this. What's the line? Because I'm on my last of 3 strikes, over the 13 years I've been here, and I've been completely civil in the year I've been back because I enjoy this community and would like to remain apart of it. However, if this type of thing is allowed now, then I guess I don't need to be as conscious of my tone as I have been for the last year. Input would be appreciated. Because that all sounds like a personal attack. /snowflake

I love Reddy and I forget if Reddy likes greg or is a greg hater. I think Reddy may like me.