Parents Stuck With Their Kids

greg775

My younger brother lives at home and has a decent job. So do a couple of guys at my work, as did my college roommate who graduated with a masters in engineering and a well-paying job. That would have been my plan too if I didn't move into my now-wife's condo.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I have noticed from my friends and coworkers, surprisingly, is that the ones with little or no student loan debt are the ones that are welcomed into their parents houses throughout their 20's. The ones with loads of student debt have been thrown out onto their own to make it. It's like the families that were wealthy enough to pay for their children's college still baby them after college, but the ones that weren't able to have been tougher on their kids.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ May 26, 2016 -> 12:33 PM)
I can totally understand people living with their parents initially after graduating high school or college. I didn't have a job lined up when I graduated college so the plan was to live with my parents until I found something and saved a little money. I'm from a really small town and ended up being bored to death. After about a month I moved to Denver, where my sister lived at the time, and took a sales job at a car dealership to pay for my living. Hated that and ended up leaving about 6 month later. Waited tables at Red Lobster until I finally started using my degree about 2 years after I graduated. If my parents had lived in a more urban area I definitely would have stayed with them so I wasn't constantly struggling to pay my bills. To be honest though, I appreciate what I have so much more now than I'm sure a lot of my friends that lived with their parents throughout most of their 20's. I wouldn't consider myself extremely frugal, but I think it has caused me to spend my money much more wisely than I would have if my 20's wouldn't have been a financial struggle.

I'm fairly certain living on my own after college and struggling prevented me from racking up some of the CC debt I see some of my friends fight.

I should point out, I think either way I'd probably charge a form of rent, but would follow the methods a few here referred to where it would go towards a savings account for them. My opinions would also be impacted if they lived for free at home and just wasted all of there money (vs. actually leverage it to get ahead and save for a house...hopefully my kids won't have to worry about student loan debt...it is a goal of mine to have them graduate in the best possible position for them to make themselves to be financially independent (ie, graduating debt free...however...after that, they got to maintain that and I hope my wife and I can teach them those values while they grow up, etc).

I.e., never carry credit card debt, live under your means, needs vs. wants, selective splurging, etc. Personally, I want to be in a position that if I wanted to, I could quit working at 45 and do whatever the heck I pleased that made me happy. That isn't to say I actually plan on quitting work, but I'd like to be in a position where If I wanted to, I could (I think everything is more fun and enjoyable when you are doing it because you want to and have the choice...vs knowing you need to to pay the very next bill).

Most of the twenty-somethings I know who live with their parents get defensive when someone brings this up. They WANT to have a job where they can afford their own car, their own place, and so on, they're trying to, but they can't. They're all either in college (because they're working while taking classes) or college graduates and they're trying not to be bitter about it, but they're tired of older generations s***ting on them all the time, too.

Honestly though can you blame them? Their whole lives they were told "work hard in school so you can go to college and you'll find a job" cuz that's how it was for Boomers and Gen X. But it's not. Why listen to them anyway?

Edited by Ezio Auditore

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 26, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
I should point out, I think either way I'd probably charge a form of rent, but would follow the methods a few here referred to where it would go towards a savings account for them. My opinions would also be impacted if they lived for free at home and just wasted all of there money (vs. actually leverage it to get ahead and save for a house...hopefully my kids won't have to worry about student loan debt...it is a goal of mine to have them graduate in the best possible position for them to make themselves to be financially independent (ie, graduating debt free...however...after that, they got to maintain that and I hope my wife and I can teach them those values while they grow up, etc).

I.e., never carry credit card debt, live under your means, needs vs. wants, selective splurging, etc. Personally, I want to be in a position that if I wanted to, I could quit working at 45 and do whatever the heck I pleased that made me happy. That isn't to say I actually plan on quitting work, but I'd like to be in a position where If I wanted to, I could (I think everything is more fun and enjoyable when you are doing it because you want to and have the choice...vs knowing you need to to pay the very next bill).

Agreed

I would rather my kids lived with me than going into crazy debt trying to live.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 26, 2016 -> 09:10 AM)
My parents let me stay one year and then I had to go. That was it.

I moved out at 19.

I'm kinda tired of hearing about the crippling debt of college. The big issue here is that all these kids are staying past 4 years. All four of my cousins are in their 5th to 7th year of college, and they aren't becoming f***ing doctors or lawyers. Two of them are doing political science and the other psychology. The student loans are paid off rather easily by making the minimum payment - I paid mine off last year. The rates are low. These same idiots complaining about their student loans are the ones who just had to get a shiny new car, too, and then they struggle. Shocker.

Also, I don't think finding a job today is any easier or harder than it was in 2006 when I went out after it. This isn't 2009 and 2010. I worked an unpaid internship (with the Blackhawks) that opened doors to get interviews, in my eyes. Then I applied for like 200 suburban entry level marketing jobs and studied my ass off and prepared like no other for said interviews so I could get a job. I took the time to know about the company, what they wanted, prepare custom presentations given on a laptop, just to blow them away. And I still got rejected for a bunch because it WAS F*CKING COMPETITIVE THEN, TOO. I wound up taking an entry level job as a marketing coordinator at a f***ing stenography company. Your first job out of college is never going to be your dream job. These kids these days (and trust me, I interview plenty of them) show up for interviews and have no idea what the hell they're even doing there. It's a sense of entitlement that f***s them, and those clowns don't deserve the jobs they're going after. Then they complain about not being able to get a job, live with their parents forever, age themselves out of the jobs they should have gotten years ago, and then cry that Bernie Sanders isn't going to be president.

Lazy little b****es. All of them. I have 6 millennials working in my department from tons interviewed. These were the few that actually did what I did and prepared, and they got the jobs.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 26, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
I made 23k out of college and afforded rent among other things. The people that say you need to make 70k to afford Chicago are full of s***.

This, too.

I worked my regular job (though I was making 38, still not much) and then did some Blockbuster management part time. My then girlfriend (now wife) and I shared a one bedroom apartment and both drove 10 year old cars.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 26, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
I moved out at 19.

I'm kinda tired of hearing about the crippling debt of college. The big issue here is that all these kids are staying past 4 years. All four of my cousins are in their 5th to 7th year of college, and they aren't becoming f***ing doctors or lawyers. Two of them are doing political science and the other psychology. The student loans are paid off rather easily by making the minimum payment - I paid mine off last year. The rates are low. These same idiots complaining about their student loans are the ones who just had to get a shiny new car, too, and then they struggle. Shocker.

Also, I don't think finding a job today is any easier or harder than it was in 2006 when I went out after it. This isn't 2009 and 2010. I worked an unpaid internship (with the Blackhawks) that opened doors to get interviews, in my eyes. Then I applied for like 200 suburban entry level marketing jobs and studied my ass off and prepared like no other for said interviews so I could get a job. I took the time to know about the company, what they wanted, prepare custom presentations given on a laptop, just to blow them away. And I still got rejected for a bunch because it WAS F*CKING COMPETITIVE THEN, TOO. I wound up taking an entry level job as a marketing coordinator at a f***ing stenography company. Your first job out of college is never going to be your dream job. These kids these days (and trust me, I interview plenty of them) show up for interviews and have no idea what the hell they're even doing there. It's a sense of entitlement that f***s them, and those clowns don't deserve the jobs they're going after. Then they complain about not being able to get a job, live with their parents forever, age themselves out of the jobs they should have gotten years ago, and then cry that Bernie Sanders isn't going to be president.

Lazy little b****es. All of them. I have 6 millennials working in my department from tons interviewed. These were the few that actually did what I did and prepared, and they got the jobs.

(you're a millennial emot-ssh.gif)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 26, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
I made 23k out of college and afforded rent among other things. The people that say you need to make 70k to afford Chicago are full of s***.

$18,800 in 1981. Entry level purchasing / product manager position.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 26, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
$18,800 in 1981. Entry level purchasing / product manager position.

which is just shy of $50k equivalent today.

The last few posts are unintentional versions of this:

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ May 26, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)
There was a meme for this a couple years ago. http://www.quickmeme.com/Old-Economy-Steven/

QUOTE (Tex @ May 26, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)
I lived at home until I got married. My mom washed my clothes for my honeymoon :ph34r:

Me too, however I paid for my younger brother's college tuition instead of rent.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 26, 2016 -> 12:11 PM)
I moved out at 19.

Everyone is unique. 20 year olds from every generation are going to be idealistic. That said, I have the exact opposite opinion of the people I interviewed in the accounting profession and a number of executives I talk with (in different areas of expertise) have a similar opinion to me...we don't even think we'd get hired based upon our resumes. We are blown away at what some people have accomplished by the time they are interviewing for an internship / full time job (and it wasn't that long ago that I graduated and had a resume that put me in a position to get internships, a full time gig at a great company, etc). I will say millennials think differently than previous generations but different doesn't mean worse. They put a different value on money, freedom, and time and really the whole "experience" of things and I don't really think that is a bad thing.

Technically I have seen some studies that put me in the millennial bucket where as others put me just outside of it. Either way, the world is more competitive and more complex today than ever before. That again, isn't necessarily all bad. What was amazing 50 years ago shouldn't necessarily be amazing today and vice versa.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 26, 2016 -> 03:39 PM)
However, I have no issue with kids who want to move home and save money. One of my good buddies at work lived with his parents that first year, and he saved a boat load of money because of it.

Yeah but my thread was about the parents. Not many on here are thinking maybe ol mom and pop want a break from the $$$ it takes to raise kids and Johnny and Julie are letting them down moving in.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ May 26, 2016 -> 06:15 PM)
Most of the twenty-somethings I know who live with their parents get defensive when someone brings this up. They WANT to have a job where they can afford their own car, their own place, and so on, they're trying to, but they can't. They're all either in college (because they're working while taking classes) or college graduates and they're trying not to be bitter about it, but they're tired of older generations s***ting on them all the time, too.

Honestly though can you blame them? Their whole lives they were told "work hard in school so you can go to college and you'll find a job" cuz that's how it was for Boomers and Gen X. But it's not. Why listen to them anyway?

Hmmmm. This is an interesting post. They are wasting some time whining? My point is my dad made it clear me moving back home was not moving back home. I think I even kept a lot of my stuff in the car. I basically was there for a month while putting all my efforts into using my degree and finding my first job. With the expectation, "you are not moving back in here" I got my butt in gear and found a job and moved out within a month. I never really moved back in. Once you get that first job and apartment then you can reassess what's going on and try to improve.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 26, 2016 -> 07:11 PM)
I moved out at 19.

This is an interesting post. This one mentions the sense of entitlement I was talking about with the participation trophies. Some parents get what they deserve though. If you raise Johnny and Julie to be "special" and get everything they want at all times, don't push them to be winners you might wind up with kids that want to live with you until they are 40.

I did notice a lot of the posters were saying, "I know guys and girls who lived at home in their 20s and they liked it. They saved money. It was good for them." Again ... what about the parents? I could see some parents supporting their kids their entire lives as long as they stay single.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 26, 2016 -> 08:26 PM)
I work harder than everyone else so everyone else should be PUNISHED! Everyone else probably had it EASY to get where they were, unlike me.

The person that wrote that on here did work harder than everybody else. And he hired six millenials who were prepared for their interviews and also WORKED HARD. Maybe the participation trophies aren't so smart after all. Why write a post like this? If you work hard you SHOULD be rewarded more than those freeloading.

I only lived with my parents for about 4 years after I graduated HS. I was able to go from living with them to buying my own house. All while going to college, having 2 kids and having a decent-paying job just about fall into my lap.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 26, 2016 -> 08:11 PM)
I moved out at 19.

I really appreciate this post. Makes me think times haven't changed that much. Those who go after it with great zeal and energy and belief, ones who don't even consider relying on mommy and daddy for help, well they make it. You could go out and give speeches I'm sure. You are an achiever; not a blind dreamer in winning the lottery or hoping somebody will see your resume online and give you a call because you are a special kid. Just wanted to say congratulations on your life so far. I like your attitude.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 26, 2016 -> 03:45 PM)
Maybe the participation trophies aren't so smart after all.

I've mentioned this before but I think the whole participation trophies meme is bulls***. I played softball in the 80's and we had them back then too. The thing was, we knew exactly what they were. Something to take up space on a shelf at home and then later get buried in a box in the back of a closet somewhere.

They didn't make us feel any better. We were still jealous of the kids that got the much bigger and better first and second place trophies.

Honestly, I get more annoyed at the people that celebrate their kid "graduating" every single grade level including pre-school.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 26, 2016 -> 03:45 PM)
The person that wrote that on here did work harder than everybody else. And he hired six millenials who were prepared for their interviews and also WORKED HARD. Maybe the participation trophies aren't so smart after all. Why write a post like this? If you work hard you SHOULD be rewarded more than those freeloading.

The people that tend to scream at how hard they work tend to be those incredibly out of touch with the efforts of those around them. Not surprised you are drawn to that.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 26, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)
The people that tend to scream at how hard they work tend to be those incredibly out of touch with the efforts of those around them. Not surprised you are drawn to that.

I'm with Steve. I hire people all the time, and find it very hard to find people under 30 who can do that job and I would want to hire. I have had countless people show up to interviews completely blank as to what we do and most of the time what the job typically calls for. When I find good people, I find some really good people, but it is tough. And I would say it is tougher than back in the 90's and early 2000's. I get too many people with a super inflated set of job expectations in regards to pay and vacation relative to the amount of work required.

And I do realize that my situation was unique. I paid off my college loans within 2 years, mostly because I worked my ass off every summer, every break and 2 nights a week in a factory to cover school costs NOT covered by my small scholarship. I was able to live at home, albeit paying rent, for about 9 months before I got a real job, and mover out a month after that. i realize not everyone could find and work a job like I did to pay for school. Doesn't mean they can't work at McDonalds or Kohls.