Parents Stuck With Their Kids

greg775

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
It's still wrong. If you work you should get reimbursed. Unpaid internships are garbage.

I think it's perfectly fine for something like this where you cut the production of the employees by 1/3.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I've observed is college grads feeling very much confined by the things they studied in school when they look for work. You can use college to learn a trade or specific set of skills/knowledge that translates clearly into a career field, but you don't have to. But if you do take a route in your studies that doesn't automatically qualify you for some specific profession, you have to disavow yourself of the notion that you need to find work in your major field. You can do a lot of things with a degree in philosophy, but you probably won't work in philosophy. But you should have learned to be a thoughtful, critical, and communicative enough person that you can go into an organization and really prove your worth.

I see many of my peers feeling trapped by their degrees, but the vast majority of jobs out there aren't looking for a specific college major, but they do care about whether you could graduate from a reputable college. My older sister graduated from college with a degree in English, loved her experience, and felt that it made her more prepared for the working world. What did end up doing for a living? Being a regional supervisor for a home furnishings chain. Indeed, they didn't have classes in that, but she got herself a job and started looking for ways to move up the food chain. That's not to say everyone will manage to do this or that finding a job is easy, but you do have to broaden your horizons a bit.

Another challenge I tend to see people facing is geography. If you live where your parents live, that might not be where the jobs are. If I moved in with mine, I might be able to use the fact I know people in town to find decent work, but it would be far from a guarantee...it's a place where the number of jobs is going down, not up. For a lot of people, that might be the sneaky problem with having to move back in with family.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 05:49 PM)
It's still wrong. If you work you should get reimbursed. Unpaid internships are garbage.

Exactly. Any business owner who employs college students or anybody for that matter and does not pay them a cent under the wink, wink guise of an internship should be thrown in jail.

If I were an employer I would feel like the cheapest bastard alive. It in un-American. It is a fricking travesty. Our country should be ashamed of itself. Unpaid internships. I would LOVE to get one of the owners on the phone and give them a piece of my mind over this abhorrent practice!!!

It is the American dream to work and be paid for the f***ing work not have the employer get free work out of somebody under the pretence of academia!!!!

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 09:12 PM)
Something I've observed is college grads feeling very much confined by the things they studied in school when they look for work. You can use college to learn a trade or specific set of skills/knowledge that translates clearly into a career field, but you don't have to. But if you do take a route in your studies that doesn't automatically qualify you for some specific profession, you have to disavow yourself of the notion that you need to find work in your major field. You can do a lot of things with a degree in philosophy, but you probably won't work in philosophy. But you should have learned to be a thoughtful, critical, and communicative enough person that you can go into an organization and really prove your worth.

I see many of my peers feeling trapped by their degrees, but the vast majority of jobs out there aren't looking for a specific college major, but they do care about whether you could graduate from a reputable college. My older sister graduated from college with a degree in English, loved her experience, and felt that it made her more prepared for the working world. What did end up doing for a living? Being a regional supervisor for a home furnishings chain. Indeed, they didn't have classes in that, but she got herself a job and started looking for ways to move up the food chain. That's not to say everyone will manage to do this or that finding a job is easy, but you do have to broaden your horizons a bit.

Another challenge I tend to see people facing is geography. If you live where your parents live, that might not be where the jobs are. If I moved in with mine, I might be able to use the fact I know people in town to find decent work, but it would be far from a guarantee...it's a place where the number of jobs is going down, not up. For a lot of people, that might be the sneaky problem with having to move back in with family.

Good post!

I do think college grads should stick around the town in which they graduated in looking for that first job. Cause just like you said going back home you have zero connections. At least if you 'bug' the university enough they might help you actually find a job. Your counselor or higher ups at the school of business if you graduated in business, the school of religion if you graduated in religion, etc., might help. You go home and you might quickly get stuck in your high school rut and wind up bagging groceries at Jewel til u find a real job. Weeks turn into months, months into a year and you are f***ed.

• 3 weeks later...

Not trying to flame millenials here.

But I know a guy who is a career counselor for one of the schools at University of Kansas and he said he had three kids call in the last two weeks who coincidentally mentioned their parents. He said pretty much all three had the same message: "My parents were getting on me about not having a job. Can you tell me what openings there are?"

I would think it would be kind of scary as a parent to have Johnny or Julie graduate on a Sunday when everybody celebrated them getting their diplomas, then a month later with 23 year old Johnny and Julie sleeping til noon every day and eating a good amount of groceries before heading to the pool then the clubs at night, some anxiety might set in with mom and dad. "Are my kids going to get good jobs or not after securing diplomas?"

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
Exactly. Any business owner who employs college students or anybody for that matter and does not pay them a cent under the wink, wink guise of an internship should be thrown in jail.

If I were an employer I would feel like the cheapest bastard alive. It in un-American. It is a fricking travesty. Our country should be ashamed of itself. Unpaid internships. I would LOVE to get one of the owners on the phone and give them a piece of my mind over this abhorrent practice!!!

It is the American dream to work and be paid for the f***ing work not have the employer get free work out of somebody under the pretence of academia!!!!

I did an unpaid internship in college but I received course credit for it. Gave me a bit of exposure to the job market and everyday life in the IT market...so it wasn't the worst thing I've ever done. It also taught me something...the world doesn't owe you anything...including money. ;)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
I did an unpaid internship in college but I received course credit for it. Gave me a bit of exposure to the job market and everyday life in the IT market...so it wasn't the worst thing I've ever done. It also taught me something...the world doesn't owe you anything...including money. ;)

I understand the course credit is nice, but didn't you ever feel like the place you were interning were cheap bastards? I mean getting all that free work ... did they ever take the interns to lunch at least? Let me answer that ... nah.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)

I still disagree. Why should the company lose money to take college students on internships? From our view, many of the hospitals couldn't afford to take them if they had to pay them as well.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 08:55 PM)
I still disagree. Why should the company lose money to take college students on internships? From our view, many of the hospitals couldn't afford to take them if they had to pay them as well.

The company should lose money because it is putting them to work. If it's just the interns observing, fine, college credit is OK. But many companies have them doing work. It's really not classy to make people work for free even if they get a couple credit hours. I remember summer jobs were important to me when I was in school. It was a way to make spending money at college and gas money, etc., since my parents paid the big three - tuition, books and room and board. I also had internships in which I did get paid. One summer I stayed in my campus town and worked for a company 20 minutes away in my field but got paid.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)

That's true of a lot of entry-level positions, though. Most hires straight out of college are going to be a drain on the company for several months/the first year before they've learned enough workplace and job-specific skills to contribute meaningfully.

At least in the engineering world, internships are paid and sometimes quite well. My friend got an internship at one of the big auto makers, and he was paid over $20/hr and I think they paid for his apartment in the area too. Those sorts of arrangements were pretty typical for my other classmates as well. I stayed local, but I still made close to $20, which was great for a college student.

edit: not sure if it's been mentioned before, but unpaid internships also filter out poorer students who can't necessarily afford to work full time for no pay.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
I understand the course credit is nice, but didn't you ever feel like the place you were interning were cheap bastards? I mean getting all that free work ... did they ever take the interns to lunch at least? Let me answer that ... nah.

Not really. If you don't want to take an unpaid internship in exchange for real world work experience which looks nice on a resume...there is this insane idea I have: DON'T TAKE IT.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 09:04 PM)
Not really. If you don't want to take an unpaid internship in exchange for real world work experience which looks nice on a resume...there is this insane idea I have: DON'T TAKE IT.

I'm surprised you don't see anything wrong with putting people to work, benefitting from them and not paying them anything. A lot of companies used to expect to pay 1-2 interns a summer, but then jumped for joy when colleges came up with this plan to give a couple hours credit for work. To me, it's just more of what America has become. Not many opportunities to make $$$ for the little guy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
I'm surprised you don't see anything wrong with putting people to work, benefitting from them and not paying them anything. A lot of companies used to expect to pay 1-2 interns a summer, but then jumped for joy when colleges came up with this plan to give a couple hours credit for work. To me, it's just more of what America has become. Not many opportunities to make $$$ for the little guy.

They ARE being paid something, though. It's valuable real world experience, and quite often, these unpaid internships turn into something more. Money isn't the only form of reward in this world...don't get me wrong, it's the goal because it makes life easier, but sometimes in order to get to point Z, you have to walk through the alphabet.

And again, nobody is holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to do these unpaid internships. They're choosing to do so. As I previously stated, I did an unpaid internship in college...would I have rather been paid? Sure. But I wasn't...and I did get to see what an IT job looked like, gained a bit of experience, and moved on in life.

And there are plenty of opportunities for the little guy to make money. I'm was one of those little guys. I grew up in Bridgeport to parents that (combined) never made more than 45,000 a year. We weren't rich but we weren't poor...mostly because we did without things many take for granted. For example, we never had cable television or a VCR growing up. We never vacationed anywhere tropical, or to theme parks. We went camping because it's what we could afford. So, by almost all definitions of the word, I was a little guy.

Yet somehow I found multiple opportunities to make $.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 06:18 AM)
They ARE being paid something, though. It's valuable real world experience, and quite often, these unpaid internships turn into something more. Money isn't the only form of reward in this world...don't get me wrong, it's the goal because it makes life easier, but sometimes in order to get to point Z, you have to walk through the alphabet.

And again, nobody is holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to do these unpaid internships. They're choosing to do so. As I previously stated, I did an unpaid internship in college...would I have rather been paid? Sure. But I wasn't...and I did get to see what an IT job looked like, gained a bit of experience, and moved on in life.

And there are plenty of opportunities for the little guy to make money. I'm was one of those little guys. I grew up in Bridgeport to parents that (combined) never made more than 45,000 a year. We weren't rich but we weren't poor...mostly because we did without things many take for granted. For example, we never had cable television or a VCR growing up. We never vacationed anywhere tropical, or to theme parks. We went camping because it's what we could afford. So, by almost all definitions of the word, I was a little guy.

Yet somehow I found multiple opportunities to make $.

I agree with this. Real world experience is so much more valuable than classroom experience. When I got my first IT job I learned more in my first 6 months there than I ever did in any of my classes. I'm sure a lot of other careers are similair.

It's just not possible to duplicate the real world in a classroom setting.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 08:43 AM)
I agree with this. Real world experience is so much more valuable than classroom experience. When I got my first IT job I learned more in my first 6 months there than I ever did in any of my classes. I'm sure a lot of other careers are similair.

Yeah, the issue is that you still need to eat and put a roof over your head. So people who come from less have a hard time getting that unpaid real world experience than those who come from a more comfortable economic background.

But no disagreement with the point that real world experience holds so very much value.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
Yeah, the issue is that you still need to eat and put a roof over your head. So people who come from less have a hard time getting that unpaid real world experience than those who come from a more comfortable economic background.

But no disagreement with the point that real world experience holds so very much value.

This is where giving them college credits for the internship helps, it allows them to continue the student loans while gaining the experience.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 03:43 PM)

I understand what many of you like ptatc is saying. So it costs the hospitals money? Well don't have interns then. I know I'm inflexible on my opinion here, but I think a place of business that expects interns to report for duty and do actual work should pay the interns some money. It doesn't have to be more than minimum wage by a dollar or two, but don't have an internship program if you don't pay anything. The fact you get a handful of credit hours is worth something, yes it is. I just think in a great country like America everybody who does work for a company that actually benefits the company should make a few cents doing it.

I mean I worked for a golf course several summers as a high school and college kid. They could have refused to pay me and instead given me all the free golf and swimming my heart desired. If I loved golf I guess I probably would do it, but it would be wrong of the golf course even though that's worth a lot of money in green fees. What free golf is is a nice perk for employees but thankfully they paid me and I got to keep my tips, too.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 1, 2016 -> 02:13 AM)
I understand what many of you like ptatc is saying. So it costs the hospitals money? Well don't have interns then. I know I'm inflexible on my opinion here, but I think a place of business that expects interns to report for duty and do actual work should pay the interns some money. It doesn't have to be more than minimum wage by a dollar or two, but don't have an internship program if you don't pay anything. The fact you get a handful of credit hours is worth something, yes it is. I just think in a great country like America everybody who does work for a company that actually benefits the company should make a few cents doing it.

I mean I worked for a golf course several summers as a high school and college kid. They could have refused to pay me and instead given me all the free golf and swimming my heart desired. If I loved golf I guess I probably would do it, but it would be wrong of the golf course even though that's worth a lot of money in green fees. What free golf is is a nice perk for employees but thankfully they paid me and I got to keep my tips, too.

You're conflating the idea of on the job training exchange for work and working for free on something that's not career related. That's apples and oranges. People are often willing to do free internships because the job experience is more valuable to them long term than a simple paycheck.

I would agree if this "internship" was flipping burgers at McDonald's, but internships aren't utilized for such positions. They're utilized in specific fields of study where you can get exposure to everyday life on the job, IE, real world experience for a job that will someday require real world experience.

There is a reason so many college grads cannot find work as easily as they thought they could...most jobs in my industry require experience, which just happens to be something college kids do not have much of, if any at all. Now, if only there was a way they could have some experience...oh, that's right...they could! It's called internships. Some pay, some do not...but it's still up to the individual to CHOOSE this path. Not everything in life is about today...sometimes it's about tomorrow, and planning ahead.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 1, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
You're conflating the idea of on the job training exchange for work and working for free on something that's not career related. That's apples and oranges. People are often willing to do free internships because the job experience is more valuable to them long term than a simple paycheck.

I would agree if this "internship" was flipping burgers at McDonald's, but internships aren't utilized for such positions. They're utilized in specific fields of study where you can get exposure to everyday life on the job, IE, real world experience for a job that will someday require real world experience.

There is a reason so many college grads cannot find work as easily as they thought they could...most jobs in my industry require experience, which just happens to be something college kids do not have much of, if any at all. Now, if only there was a way they could have some experience...oh, that's right...they could! It's called internships. Some pay, some do not...but it's still up to the individual to CHOOSE this path. Not everything in life is about today...sometimes it's about tomorrow, and planning ahead.

I wonder how many companies that have an unpaid internship policy are paying their CEO's mega million dollar salaries. I understand many of you are pro-company on this issue, I'm just saying it's in general a sleazy practice if that's the right word. Obviously not in all instances. I am pretty sure many schools are in on this scam and do not allow the class credit if the internship is paid. We're not sharing the wealth much in America anymore, even on this smaller scale. I think it all adds up to making the world a lousier place.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)

I tell you one thing, though I'm curious about Millenials, I do wonder about the generation that raised them. It seems Generation X was even worse than the Baby Boomers in raising their little precious kids with the idea said kids can DO NO WRONG. Boomers started it. Yes, parents in their mid 50s coddled their precious little ones with the participation trophies and making teachers' lives hell for giving Johnny or Julie a B instead of an A. Now the parents who are in their 30s (Gen X?) are even worse. The kids are for the most part totally spoiled brats. However, I would like to learn more about this because with so many people getting laid off at work, I don't see how there's the money to give little Johnny and Julie all the gadgets they need to be happy and all the ice cream they need to get fat. With young parents refusing to accept the fact their kids may deserve a C or D in a class, they are realizing they don't need to study at all, just have mommy and dad attack their teachers verbally to get the grades changed. No teacher needs the grief so many acquiesce before the principal gets involved and say they are too tough graders.

What are we calling today's generation of kids 10 and younger. The ones I've seen are very very adept at video games and all gadgets and also very very entitled. Oh my gosh the "young" parents today are even more protecitve than their parents were.

Finally I was interested in that article that said Millenials don't want to commit to anybody so they won't even f***. Not sure what that's all about? Is this generation going to be the one that simply DOES NOT WANT married life? That does NOT WANT to buy a house with a perfectly green lawn? Generation X is not like that. They do want family life and "perfect" family life in terms of raising their little angels to where they never experience any challenges or angst. EVER. Johnny and Julie are PERFECT and they will feel that way the rest of their lives (as they live with mommy and daddy til they are 40).

Let me know.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 1, 2016 -> 02:13 AM)

Two issues here.

1) do you really want someone practicing medicine on you who hasn't been mentored and interned in a clinic?

2) It is mandated by the Department of Education that these student have internships with licensed professionals so the can apply what they learned in school on real patients before they treat patients by themselves without supervision.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 12:38 AM)
I tell you one thing, though I'm curious about Millenials, I do wonder about the generation that raised them. It seems Generation X was even worse than the Baby Boomers in raising their little precious kids with the idea said kids can DO NO WRONG. Boomers started it. Yes, parents in their mid 50s coddled their precious little ones with the participation trophies and making teachers' lives hell for giving Johnny or Julie a B instead of an A. Now the parents who are in their 30s (Gen X?) are even worse. The kids are for the most part totally spoiled brats. However, I would like to learn more about this because with so many people getting laid off at work, I don't see how there's the money to give little Johnny and Julie all the gadgets they need to be happy and all the ice cream they need to get fat. With young parents refusing to accept the fact their kids may deserve a C or D in a class, they are realizing they don't need to study at all, just have mommy and dad attack their teachers verbally to get the grades changed. No teacher needs the grief so many acquiesce before the principal gets involved and say they are too tough graders.

What are we calling today's generation of kids 10 and younger. The ones I've seen are very very adept at video games and all gadgets and also very very entitled. Oh my gosh the "young" parents today are even more protecitve than their parents were.

Finally I was interested in that article that said Millenials don't want to commit to anybody so they won't even f***. Not sure what that's all about? Is this generation going to be the one that simply DOES NOT WANT married life? That does NOT WANT to buy a house with a perfectly green lawn? Generation X is not like that. They do want family life and "perfect" family life in terms of raising their little angels to where they never experience any challenges or angst. EVER. Johnny and Julie are PERFECT and they will feel that way the rest of their lives (as they live with mommy and daddy til they are 40).

Let me know.

Er...millennials were raised by the Baby Boomers.

Generation X are the ones raising the current generation (Gen Z, Aughts, etc.)

Interesting tidbit:

I lived with my cousins for the first month of my internship in NYC. They're about my parent's age.

They told my dad they loved having me around and that they were a bit sad when I had to leave. I just found that interesting.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 05:08 AM)
Interesting tidbit:

I lived with my cousins for the first month of my internship in NYC. They're about my parent's age.

They told my dad they loved having me around and that they were a bit sad when I had to leave. I just found that interesting.

You probably are a nice guy who was a good conversationalist with them, neat and very polite. You made sure to not inconvenience them so they like you. You probably thanked them a lot and they felt great about the whole thing.

Edited by greg775