Parents Stuck With Their Kids

greg775

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 12:07 AM)
Er...millennials were raised by the Baby Boomers.

Generation X are the ones raising the current generation (Gen Z, Aughts, etc.)

Maybe some were but the first round of boomers gave birth to Gen X.

Boomers (1946 - 1964) --> Gen X (60s - 70s) --> Millennials (80s and 90s)

My parents are boomers, I'm Gen X and my kids are millennials AKA Gen Y.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)

Parents boomers, I'm Gen X, but my kids are both 5 and under, so they're beyond Z or something. I think Gen Z is defined as being born in the mid 90's to mid late 2000's...as both my kids were born after 2010, I'm not sure they have a generational definition yet.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
Parents boomers, I'm Gen X, but my kids are both 5 and under, so they're beyond Z or something. I think Gen Z is defined as being born in the mid 90's to mid late 2000's...as both my kids were born after 2010, I'm not sure they have a generational definition yet.

Gen Z. Of course...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Z#..._range_defining

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)

My parents are boomers. My brother (9 years older) is one of those that dances on the line of Millenials/Gen X.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 11:38 PM)
I tell you one thing, though I'm curious about Millenials, I do wonder about the generation that raised them. It seems Generation X was even worse than the Baby Boomers in raising their little precious kids with the idea said kids can DO NO WRONG. Boomers started it. Yes, parents in their mid 50s coddled their precious little ones with the participation trophies and making teachers' lives hell for giving Johnny or Julie a B instead of an A. Now the parents who are in their 30s (Gen X?) are even worse. The kids are for the most part totally spoiled brats. However, I would like to learn more about this because with so many people getting laid off at work, I don't see how there's the money to give little Johnny and Julie all the gadgets they need to be happy and all the ice cream they need to get fat. With young parents refusing to accept the fact their kids may deserve a C or D in a class, they are realizing they don't need to study at all, just have mommy and dad attack their teachers verbally to get the grades changed. No teacher needs the grief so many acquiesce before the principal gets involved and say they are too tough graders.

What are we calling today's generation of kids 10 and younger. The ones I've seen are very very adept at video games and all gadgets and also very very entitled. Oh my gosh the "young" parents today are even more protecitve than their parents were.

Finally I was interested in that article that said Millenials don't want to commit to anybody so they won't even f***. Not sure what that's all about? Is this generation going to be the one that simply DOES NOT WANT married life? That does NOT WANT to buy a house with a perfectly green lawn? Generation X is not like that. They do want family life and "perfect" family life in terms of raising their little angels to where they never experience any challenges or angst. EVER. Johnny and Julie are PERFECT and they will feel that way the rest of their lives (as they live with mommy and daddy til they are 40).

Let me know.

Wow, so many generalizations in there. My kids are all 13 and younger and I admit they use electronics quite a bit. However, they have grown up with electronics being everywhere. I don't think it makes them entitled to have them. It's a different world than it was in the 80s.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)

It kinda depends. My parents are def Baby Boomers and they're both over 65 but my brother and me are at the beginning of the Millennial scale.

What's the big deal about kids using electronics? So they are more sophisticated than we were growing up. We were more sophisticated than our parents and so on. So? What is this, jealousy? I wish smartphones existed when I was 12. Granted, I was too poor but still.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 12:11 PM)
What's the big deal about kids using electronics? So they are more sophisticated than we were growing up. We were more sophisticated than our parents and so on. So? What is this, jealousy? I wish smartphones existed when I was 12. Granted, I was too poor but still.

Especially with the push to teach kids coding now, which will be a massive boost to the science and technology industry.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)

Old folks don't understand it, therefore it can't be good.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
It kinda depends. My parents are def Baby Boomers and they're both over 65 but my brother and me are at the beginning of the Millennial scale.

There's definitely some overlap depending on how you define the dates for each generation and when your parents, you and your kids were born. But it's not entirely wrong to say Gen X raised this current generation.

Even the youngest of the Gen X'rs are pushing 40 now. A whole lot of us had kids in the 80's and 90's who are coming of age now.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
There's definitely some overlap depending on how you define the dates for each generation and when your parents, you and your kids were born. But it's not entirely wrong to say Gen X raised this current generation.

Even the youngest of the Gen X'rs are pushing 40 now. A whole lot of us had kids in the 80's and 90's who are coming of age now.

I think as a general rule of thumb, Gen Xers were raised by Boomers and Millennials were raised by Gen Xers

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
I think as a general rule of thumb, Gen Xers were raised by Boomers and Millennials were raised by Gen Xers

Just from experience, I'd say Boomers --> Gen X & Mid 80s to Early 90s Millenials,

Gen X --> Late 90s to Early 2000s Millenials and Gen Z

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 11:24 AM)

Originally it was by birth year, and a generation was considered 20 years.

Pre-1945- The Greatest Generation (self named of course)

1946-1965- Baby Boomers

1966-1985- Generation X

1986-2005- Generation Y, or whatever

2006+ - Current kids under 10ish.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
Especially with the push to teach kids coding now, which will be a massive boost to the science and technology industry.

eh, from what my wife's seen teaching middle school for a little while now, these kids know how to "use" computers to go on facebook or play games or whatever, but they're not exactly tech-savvy. They can barely use word processors or even google, have a hard time negotiating basic computer functions, etc. It's not like in the 90's where you might have to spend a day or two messing around with buried config settings, physical hardware dip switches or jumpers etc. to get your favorite game to work right.

Re: the phone/electronic topic, i'm not opposed to it, and it has nothing to do with me not understanding technology, but i'd rather my son never looked at a phone or tablet except to watching a tv show or movie. My 4 year old becomes a monster when I try to take the thing away. I'd prefer that he go play outside and explore bugs or something than sit and play subway surfer for an hour. I don't necessarily buy the "tv rots your brain" theory my parents used to throw around, but I'm sure there's SOMETHING to that. If anything it just makes kids more anti-social, even if we are becoming a more "internet-social" world. I'd rather my kid be the minority there and actually learn some people skills since most of his peers won't have that in 15-20 years.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)
eh, from what my wife's seen teaching middle school for a little while now, these kids know how to "use" computers to go on facebook or play games or whatever, but they're not exactly tech-savvy. They can barely use word processors or even google, have a hard time negotiating basic computer functions, etc. It's not like in the 90's where you might have to spend a day or two messing around with buried config settings, physical hardware dip switches or jumpers etc. to get your favorite game to work right.

The push is super recent. Like, weeks old with programs Google and Apple are releasing.

CEO: "We will require a college degree for just about every job in this company"

College" " Sure come earn a degree with us. Just don't forget to take out 80k in loans first so you can afford it!"

Student: "Sweet I just graduated, time to get that job!"

Recruiter: "Well you don't have your Masters, so you will need that for any type of really good position, but we do have a couple things in sales and admin that require a bachelors. Will get you about 30k your first few years out of school"

Student: "well that's disappointing, I'm going to have to live at home for awhile until I can either move up or move on to get a Masters degree"

Parents: "Back in my day we were kicked out when we were 18 and had to go to work! You damn millennials! So entitled! Fine I guess you can stay here until you get you s*** together"

So it is the baby boomers that let the price of college go through the roof, started requiring a college degree from almost every job, and forced kids to take out tons of money to get that education and often accept low paying jobs (considering having a college degree, debt, etc) in an over-saturated job market where everyone has a degree now because they basically have to get one to work anywhere.

Too bad we are like you were "back in the day." Hopefully we make better decisions for our kids' futures.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)

I've noticed this as well. It seems like every other kid I talk to or hear about wants to "get into IT" but they have no idea what it actually entails. Many don't even realize there are different fields within IT. Hardware, software, programming, networking, systems analysis, mobile app development, web development, etc...

My oldest is taking IT classes in college and I told her to try as many as she can and see what she likes the most. They are all different.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
I've noticed this as well. It seems like every other kid I talk to or hear about wants to "get into IT" but they have no idea what it actually entails. Many don't even realize there are different fields within IT. Hardware, software, programming, networking, systems analysis, mobile app development, web development, etc...

My oldest is taking IT classes in college and I told her to try as many as she can and see what she likes the most. They are all different.

The moniker is similar to going into "business". There are boatloads of different things that go under that umbrella.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)

Not saying your opinion isn't a reality but my niece/nephews school teaches python in elementary school. Was not an option. We didn't get cool stuff like that until Junior year of high school.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
Re: the phone/electronic topic, i'm not opposed to it, and it has nothing to do with me not understanding technology, but i'd rather my son never looked at a phone or tablet except to watching a tv show or movie. My 4 year old becomes a monster when I try to take the thing away. I'd prefer that he go play outside and explore bugs or something than sit and play subway surfer for an hour. I don't necessarily buy the "tv rots your brain" theory my parents used to throw around, but I'm sure there's SOMETHING to that. If anything it just makes kids more anti-social, even if we are becoming a more "internet-social" world. I'd rather my kid be the minority there and actually learn some people skills since most of his peers won't have that in 15-20 years.

It is proven that technology, especially at young ages, does have direct impacts on children's attention spans and moods. When you think about it, it kind of makes sense. I'm a huge believer in minimal screen time, given my kids current age and allowing them to be creative and to really learn the real skills associated with "concentration" and basic things vs. the sensory overload that comes with a lot of the screen stuff. That said, there are also benefits of the tech, whether it is leveraging it to further educate or leveraging it for other avenues. And yes, somewhere in there, you should be able to leverage it for entertainment.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
Not saying your opinion isn't a reality but my niece/nephews school teaches python in elementary school. Was not an option. We didn't get cool stuff like that until Junior year of high school.

Big differences can definitely exist between school districts. My wife's district isn't exactly poorly funded, but they have little or no tech classes e.g. no basic typing or computer skills.