Memorial Day Weekend

shipps

First off I want to say that I am grateful to all of those that have given their lives so we can all live in freedom. :usa

So what are your plans this weekend? Are you going to barbeque or are you going to mooch other peoples barbeque? What are you cooking and can I come over?

I am going to spend my weekend in Delavan, WI which I have never been before. Should be nice to chill by the bonfire and look at the lake.

Going to my brother's wedding tomorrow, which I'm not really looking forward too. It's their big day but man half the room won't be able to speak to each other (bride is from Mexico and while she speaks English just fine she is never audible enough to actually hear it) plus the bride is super into ballroom dancing so guess what type of music will be playing the entire time? So I'll be getting blackout drunk on good scotch.

So Saturday will be a hangover day.

Sunday and Monday I'll be finishing up final touches on my condo as well as prepping my roommate for moving out next week.

Being a veteran, let me go ahead and say this: Don't let anyone make you feel guilty about having fun and enjoying your weekend due to Memorial Day being a solemn occasion. Yes, we remember those people gave their lives, but that was the point. Go to a BBQ and get s***-faced. That's why they died. So you can do those things.

Personally I wish it wasn't a school holiday here. I would love to plan lessons based around Memorial Day. San Antonio is a major military city, last night the kids that were announced as joining received bigger applause than the kids who received half million dollar scholarships.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 27, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)
Personally I wish it wasn't a school holiday here. I would love to plan lessons based around Memorial Day. San Antonio is a major military city, last night the kids that were announced as joining received bigger applause than the kids who received half million dollar scholarships.

See, I may be wrong in this but that is the type of thing that makes me roll my eyes at Texas.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 27, 2016 -> 11:34 AM)
See, I may be wrong in this but that is the type of thing that makes me roll my eyes at Texas.

It makes sense and would happen anywhere there are military bases.

There are several military bases here. A lot of our students come from military families. Of course those already in the military cheer a welcome especially if it is in their branch. There weren't too many University of Oregon alum or Brown alum in the crowd to cheer when those schools are announced. The biggest cheer was for a top ten ranked kid who was going to the Air Force Academy on a football scholarship. That's the Texas trifecta. Football, College, and the Military.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 27, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
It makes sense and would happen anywhere there are military bases.

There are several military bases here. A lot of our students come from military families. Of course those already in the military cheer a welcome especially if it is in their branch. There weren't too many University of Oregon alum or Brown alum in the crowd to cheer when those schools are announced. The biggest cheer was for a top ten ranked kid who was going to the Air Force Academy on a football scholarship. That's the Texas trifecta. Football, College, and the Military.

Thats fair.

I guess its just that I can see my Aunt and Uncle having that same mentality and they do not live on a military base. A lot of my opinions of Texas are based off of my family who lilves in the Austin area and what I see on social media and foxnews with most of it not being good. But I digress, I dont want to take make this buster material.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 27, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
Thats fair.

I guess its just that I can see my Aunt and Uncle having that same mentality and they do not live on a military base. A lot of my opinions of Texas are based off of my family who lilves in the Austin area and what I see on social media and foxnews with most of it not being good. But I digress, I dont want to take make this buster material.

Reverse that for California, Illinois, New York, and Florida for me based on what is reported. States have an identity issue as well. That's why they spend money on marketing.