White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 29, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
I don't know how to express it besides saying something dull like....the chances are now somewhat diminished that Carson Fulmer will be in the 2017 Chicago White Sox starting rotation to start the season. Or there are growing concerns in some circles about his mechanics and ability to get hitters out by making them expand their strike zones, which hasn't worked as well due to experience of AA hitters compared to even the best collegiate line-ups.

If that's better...

Young talented players can make significant improvement quickly. Fulmer may be still in AA in 2017 or he could be in the Sox rotation. Rodon could be struggling to hold the #3 spot in the rotation in 2017 or he could be challenging Sale for the #1. Anderson could be back in AAA in 2017 or he could be an early rookie of the year candidate.

I posted trading Q for Jackie Bradley + a catcher last winter and several posters trashed it and said Bradley was not ML quality. Young talented players can make significant improvement quickly.

sounds like we offered Erik and Tatis Jr. - they wanted Tim Anderson. So it probably leaked once it was already dead as a negotiation

I am sure we want to approach this with the 2012 mindset. The deals for Liriano/Youk were low cost to us (Escobar has kind of overachieved a bit though)

That is probably the kind of piece we want to move out ----- not Tim Anderson who is a need position and one would think Fulmer/Adams are safe too.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 28, 2016 -> 10:55 PM)
I could definitely see him opting out to sign with a CA team, money be damned. Maybe EJ straight up

You know him so well that you think he'd give up $20M just to play in California ? Even if he could get signed through 2018 again by a California team ( Dodger Angels, Giants As ) you think he'd take a significant salary deduction ? He's getting his 21M this year. The nest 2 years and the buyout year are worth 44M . Tell me what you think he would give up of that money just to play in those places and why .

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 28, 2016 -> 08:48 PM)
There's no chance Shields opts out. And if he does, that means pitched so well that we should be able to get a comp pick from his exit.

We would not be able to offer a QO as he has to play for the same team all season in order to be eligible.

They already signed Alexei Ramirez from the Sox, which hasn't panned out.

At any rate, that Anderson trade must have had $10-20 million AT LEAST coming along with it to POSSIBLY justify giving up Anderson.

Even then, an 18-20 WAR SS (being conservative) over the course of six seasons is worth a lot more than that. Unless the Sox just aren't sold on Anderson as much as most of this site is...

Hahn and JR would be crucified making that kind of trade just to save money and deal away your best prospect as a result. It would be an anti-Cubs move of the highest order.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 29, 2016 -> 08:46 AM)
sounds like we offered Erik and Tatis Jr. - they wanted Tim Anderson. So it probably leaked once it was already dead as a negotiation

I am sure we want to approach this with the 2012 mindset. The deals for Liriano/Youk were low cost to us (Escobar has kind of overachieved a bit though)

That is probably the kind of piece we want to move out ----- not Tim Anderson who is a need position and one would think Fulmer/Adams are safe too.

That gap is so large that I'd be shocked if that's how it actually went. I have no doubt they are still in talks. Look at the Lawrie deal last year. Things take time.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 29, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
They already signed Alexei Ramirez from the Sox, which hasn't panned out.

At any rate, that Anderson trade must have had $10-20 million AT LEAST coming along with it to POSSIBLY justify giving up Anderson.

There is no justification for giving up Anderson for Shields.

He's a dependable innings eater. But his WHIP is also .10 ticks above where it was when he last pitched in the AL.

Shields is salary dump stuff.

And if Williams thinks that the lack of a starter is what ails this team he has his head in the sand.

This team is a headcase. No dumping of prospects for band aids is changing that.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ May 29, 2016 -> 05:37 PM)
Why the rush to do this deal now? Why don't we see if we are floundering in 4th place in 2-3 weeks first. That's where we are headed at this point anyway.

There is no way that they are selling. It's not going well but unlike past years, they are 1 GB in a dogs*** division. All 4 teams have flaws. I don't think they even entertain selling until 2017 trade deadline. 112 to play. I expect them to add.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 29, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)

It doesn't sound like this at all. Anderson not part of these talks.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ May 29, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)
I don't even want to give up Tatis Jr. Just give them EJ if we are taking on all that salary. It's basically a salary dump for them.

That's a fair deal. EJ's on the outs anyway.

You can't give up serious prospects for this guy.

It would be nice to add another quality starter, although we've been pretty solid in that category. After a promising start for our bullpen, it's completely collapsed. Maybe management should direct its attention in that direction. How 'bout promoting Johnson to the bigs, starting him out in the pen and relieve us of the albatross which Albers is. There you go. Problem solved!

Ummm...if Anderson didn't average 88-90 MPH with the fastball and had stellar/pinpoint control, sure.

He's not much better than Scott Carroll. In fact, Carroll mentally might be better suited to the long man role than Johnson.

And this is one area where the Montas trade hurts us (of course, he's on the DL for LAD)...but he or Fulmer or perhaps Tyler Danish all looked like ideal candidates to pitch out of the bullpen at some point this season.

Webb/Beck being disappointments has also been a pretty big blow to bullpen depth.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 29, 2016 -> 08:28 PM)
Ummm...if Anderson didn't average 88-90 MPH with the fastball and had stellar/pinpoint control, sure.

He's not much better than Scott Carroll. In fact, Carroll mentally might be better suited to the long man role than Johnson.

And this is one area where the Montas trade hurts us (of course, he's on the DL for LAD)...but he or Fulmer or perhaps Tyler Danish all looked like ideal candidates to pitch out of the bullpen at some point this season.

Webb/Beck being disappointments has also been a pretty big blow to bullpen depth.

I've been keeping an eye on Montas. It looks like he's in AA working as a reliever I'm sure if he has success he'll be in their bullpen at some point later in the year.

The Sox are never going to take on Shield's backloaded Contract (over $50 Million left for 2016, 2017, 2018 and a buy out) AND throw in any top prospect in the deal.

The Sox are on the hook for $15 million to pay Danks for sitting at home this year. Like Danks, Shields has lost velocity on his fastball and that usually translates into loss of effectiveness with off-speed pitches.

He would help at the back of the rotation, but not for 50 million and prospects.