White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)
Absolutely not when you factor in cost. I haven't read this whole thread and I'm sure there are plenty of creative proposals in here about getting San Diego to kick in half the money. I just don't want to go anywhere near Shields. I think he is bad and he is going to get worse.

On the radio this morning they were saying the Padre's will pay $38mil of Shields contract but that the Sox want Jay in the deal too. TIFWIW

Easy for me to say since it's not my money, however, if we give up better prospects to have them pay $38mm of Shields deal? Boo. Have JR pony up the money for Shields if Hahn can convince him he's good.

Either way, I was an advocate almost all winter (maybe not publicly on this board) but for AJ Griffin, Drew Pomeranz, Rich Hill.

Now, Griffin has had shoulder issues already. But the other two have been decent.

Also was a fan of Ian Desmond for 1 year at 7-12mm.

I just look at this team and what could have been and I get a bit upset. I know we don't have a ton of money, and it's all in hindsight, but just think -- we could have Pomeranz or Hill in our rotation and Desmond in LF, CF, and SS rotating for like $8-15mm total.

It was a buyers market and we did nothing with it.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 05:26 PM)
Was it being speculated? Those guys don't really break news like that. Not calling you a liar, just curious about context.

I heard it also, it was strange as they were talking with Levine and made it seem like the Jay and Shields and a lot of money coming back was a common rumor.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)
Was it being speculated? Those guys don't really break news like that. Not calling you a liar, just curious about context.

They were talking about it like it was fact but I am not sure where they got it from. When he said it I was thinking damn, that I havent heard yet.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
I think we are too busy dicking around with Johnson. He's had two games and has been pretty darn electric in the minors (again) and was coming off some success last year. I realized he had the slow spring, but he seems to have turned that around and in his last start, he was pretty good outside of losing it in the 7th (not unheard of for a young pitcher to have to deal with adjustments making it through a lineup a 3rd time). He does give up a lot of homers though (not sure if that could be fixed or not).

Clearly we don't like him, and if that is the case, we should have capitalized on his trade value (cause he'll make it as a cost controlled back of the rotation guy somewhere).

I don't think they are dicking around with him, they have given him multiple opportunities to take a spot and has been simply unable to do so, and his loss in velocity is a really big deal at the major league level. I think the guy is just destined to be a AAAA player

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
I don't think they are dicking around with him, they have given him multiple opportunities to take a spot and has been simply unable to do so, and his loss in velocity is a really big deal at the major league level. I think the guy is just destined to be a AAAA player

This is what I have seen. They just don't trust the guy.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 07:22 PM)
Is Jon Jay even that good? He's left-handed, but hasn't he fallen off?

He's having a solid year on a s*** team. He'd be an instant upgrade over sands. Really good defensively too. I'd take him as a glue piece all day every day.

Obviously this rumor might pick up again with Shields getting publicly reamed by the CEO.

You would think that might give him even more motivation, but Shields was pretty nonchalant about his start with the press, at least.

Didn't admit to being an embarrassment or "feeling embarrassed" by his performance.

John Jay is not what we need. What we need is what a lot of teams could use - more home runs. Nice to see Saladino take one out to win a ball game. One shot like that can turn a game around and change the attitude of the team after a long losing streak.

Shields? I don't want a guy like who has been guaranteed millions and is now on cruise control. The Padres are right. This guy is emblematic of what is wrong with giving players large multi-million dollar Contracts. (John Danks agrees).

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 09:23 PM)
John Jay is not what we need. What we need is what a lot of teams could use - more home runs. Nice to see Saladino take one out to win a ball game. One shot like that can turn a game around and change the attitude of the team after a long losing streak.

Shields? I don't want a guy like who has been guaranteed millions and is now on cruise control. The Padres are right. This guy is emblematic of what is wrong with giving players large multi-million dollar Contracts. (John Danks agrees).

Jon Jay would be a welcome upgrade to the Sox. They lack a quality backup OF'er who can play CF. He also bats lefty, which might allow you to play the match-ups with Jackson. I'm not advocating the Sox rush out and make a deal like this but he would bring something the Sox could use.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 09:27 PM)
Jon Jay would be a welcome upgrade to the Sox. They lack a quality backup OF'er who can play CF. He also bats lefty, which might allow you to play the match-ups with Jackson. I'm not advocating the Sox rush out and make a deal like this but he would bring something the Sox could use.

I'd like Jon Jay and someone like Beltran personally. Could DH Beltran or someone else and platoon Jay with Ajax. Much better team.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/...atting3/jon-jay

711 OPS over the last 3 years against RHP, 672 vs. LHP.

The question is whether you want to give 2/3rd's of the playing time to him over Jackson? When he's not as all familiar with the AL? And then how steep is the defensive falloff?

It would be better to find a split/platoon guy who has a clear track record of mashing RHP.

Bringing in Jay would have been fine/good/dandy, about the same reaction most would have had to a David Freese signing to play 3B for the Sox.

In only 54 opportunities, is hitting quite a bit better against LHP than RHP so far this season, fwiw.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 2, 2016 -> 12:17 AM)
The love of mediocre declining veterans is endless. But I have little doubt that ace evaluator Williams will grant all wishes.

The love for mediocre love of prospects is pretty endless as well.

Jay is definitely not the impact bat this team is looking for, but I would take him if he's a throw-in as an enticement to take on Shields and a terrible contract. We can play match ups with him and Jackson and he's also solid insurance.

But I would still like to keep looking for a DH. We DESPERATELY need a DH. Finding an upgrade over Avi and Sands should not be this hard.