White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (chisox802 @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 12:03 PM)
I am probably one of the few people that would not mind Shields. As long as we don't pay too much of his contract.

The guy will pitch better than he has with SD.

I feel the same way if the trade is on our terms. The words "compelling offer" scares me quite a bit.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
I would be going for Rich Hill over Shields. Cheaper, wouldn't have to give up as much and better right now.

Um. I think Hill is going to require way more than Shields.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
Rosenthal says talks are heating up. SD has been scouting the Sox farm system. Supposedly the Sox have made a "compelling" offer

To correct you, he says a team has made a compelling offer. Doesn't know who the team is but could or could not be the Sox.

Edited by soxfan2014

Dennis Lin ‏@sdutdennislin 6m6 minutes ago

Believe the White Sox are still the likeliest destination for James Shields at this point.

Dennis Lin ‏@sdutdennislin 5m5 minutes ago

The Padres have incentive to finalize a deal before Shields' scheduled start tomorrow. Never know what can happen.

The Sox need another SP, a BP arm & most importantly a LH bat.

If you can get a guy like Shields for half of his contract while giving up very little then why not do it?

Not the most ideal situation but one move at a time & if a SP is the first add, then why not?

Miguel Gonzalez or Mat Latos are fine 5th starters but can't be 4 & 5 in the rotation much longer.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
The Sox need another SP, a BP arm & most importantly a LH bat.

If you can get a guy like Shields for half of his contract while giving up very little then why not do it?

Not the most ideal situation but one move at a time & if a SP is the first add, then why not?

Miguel Gonzalez or Mat Latos are fine 5th starters but can't be 4 & 5 in the rotation much longer.

Gonzalez has been pitching better and better as of late. Latos has been getting worse with every start so I can see them adding Shields for the right price.

Oooh, James Shields. He was good 3 years ago. He's a difference maker!

I am sure this front office with their talent evaluators weren't dissuaded in the least with Shields' ongoing decline and horrific last out (when facing and AL team).

Williams was dominated by other front offices when he made trades, and Hahn is just as inept, if not worse.

Edited by GreenSox

I'd be cool with Shields if the Sox can get him at $13-14M AAV, and don't give up anything meaningful. Shields would be a big upgrade. I do think a DH or OF bat should be a higher priority though. If it's one or the other is prefer the bat.