White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
Rosenthal confirms. Sucks we had to give up Tatis

Hopefully people don't start doing the why we gave up Tatis like why we have with thompson for frazier

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/98066142/jam...oyals-clubhouse

For those down on the deal, maybe this will help. Leadership/intangibles/chemistry doesn't sell like FIP or "peripherals," but it might be equally valuable to a team with a wavering belief in itself.

That would bring to at least 7 the "new" White Sox attitude, being added to Latos, Gonzalez (who definitely was known for being a nice guy with an unfortunate streak of ind. losses and ND's, like Q has gotten that same "hard luck" label), Avila, Navarro, Rollins and Frazier.

Has definitely been a "mixed" bag with those acquisitions so far, although an argument can be made we wouldn't be where we are without Latos' hot start and Frazier's power bat and mostly very solid defense.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
I assume we'd pay the buyout. Maybe 7, 9, 9, and then the 2 mill buyout?

Basically paying him to be a 4th starter, and he could be much much better than that. This is nothing but a good deal.

I'm fine with it simply because they had to something (which apparently means no change in managers)...and there's no way you can have too much pitching.

And as long as they figure out a way to replace Sands/Avi/Rollins getting so many important AB's...that has to be an equal priority. If that's all the money JR will authorize spending, it would be pretty dumb, but it's also a bit of insurance for Fulmer/Adams having too much pressure on them to be in the 2017 starting rotation (particularly Fulmer).

Finally, there's a chance that Gonzo or more likely Latos can up their velocity with limited bursts out of the pen. Maybe the "loser" in who keeps his job will grumble about losing an opportunity to set themselves up for a big payday next offseason (especially Latos?), but hopefully it all is worked out by Hahn and Ventura in a way that's positive for the team chemistry and Latos/Gonzo.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)
Source: #Padres sending #WhiteSox more than $30M in Shields trade.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/739203258292412416

Even better. Not sure how anyone can be mad at acquiring James Shields sub $10M a year. Could be as low at $7 or $8M. You obviously hope he is very good, but be doesn't even have to be league average to be worth that much.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)
I haven't seen shields pitch in a long time. How is his stuff these days?

His fastball this year is averaging 90.2 mph. That's down from 92.5 his last year in KC and most of his career and 91.1 last year.

The Chicago White Sox have made it official, announcing a trade with the San Diego Padres for veteran RHP James Shields. Prospects Erik Johnson and Fernando Tatis Jr. are both going back to San Diego in the deal. Shields gives Sox more depth in rotation, where he is expected to slot in after ace Chris Sale and Jose Quintana. According to multiple reports, the Padres will eat a significant portion of Shields' salary.

ESPN.com

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 12:54 PM)
If his last start wasn't as bad as it was, would you be saying that? He had a bad start. It happens. Every other game this season that he's pitched, he's always less than 4 runs with the exception of two (four each game).

Is he the same pitcher he was 3 years ago? Obviously not. No one gets younger, but "cooked" is harsh.

Yeah, I would -- I'm never too worried about ERA. The signs I'm talking about are a dramatic increase in walks and homers given up over the last year and change, to go along with an expected decline in strikeouts in 2016.

I wonder what Padres fans think of this. Probably loathe it. EJ is garbage.

For such a weak farm, it seems like we do a great job of scrounging up trade pieces. Montas, Semien, Thompson (the top three that we've given up, IMO), Erwin, Wendelken, Ravelo, Phegley, Johnson, Johnson and Tatis net Shields, Lawrie, Frazier and Shark. Not bad, even if Shark sucked.