White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

This trade is whatever to me. Shields is probably better than what we have but he's not very good either. Didn't give up anything of consequence(even if you like EJ he was never going to succeed here) but are picking up some money. Whatever.

On that note cause I got a feeling this is going to come up...if EJ does end up having some success there just remember that it wasn't going to happen here.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
For the record, I think EJ will be better in SD than Shields was. I also think Shields won't be any better than Latos or Gonzalez. And I think it's dumb to give up a young guy like Tatis Jr for a fringe starter.

What are you talking about?

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 03:45 PM)
What are you talking about?

Looked like a gas can against the Sox in spring training and he hasn't been any better in the regular season. An ERA above 4 in the NL is terrible especially in that pitcher's park.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
For the record, I think EJ will be better in SD than Shields was. I also think Shields won't be any better than Latos or Gonzalez. And I think it's dumb to give up a young guy like Tatis Jr for a fringe starter.

This point is hilariously s***ty.

• Like 1

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
I'd like to see Gonzalez as the long man, with Putnam as the 7th inning guy.

It's tough to choose between Gonzalez and Latos, though I might give the edge to keeping Gonzalez in the rotation. Still, both have earned spots on the 25-man. It'd also be nice to have a dedicated long-reliever.

Agreed about Putnam, who's been solid so far this year.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
Ok I'll bump it for you later in the year. You'll be nowhere to be found though.

Tatis should be a junior in high school. James Shields has been a slightly better version of Mark Buehrle for a decade. EJ blows and will only possibly have an MLB career by pitching in a ballpark that allowed Clayton Richard to succeed, briefly.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 05:28 PM)
I wonder what Padres fans think of this. Probably loathe it. EJ is garbage.

For such a weak farm, it seems like we do a great job of scrounging up trade pieces. Montas, Semien, Thompson (the top three that we've given up, IMO), Erwin, Wendelken, Ravelo, Phegley, Johnson, Johnson and Tatis net Shields, Lawrie, Frazier and Shark. Not bad, even if Shark sucked.

The Padres get a guy who has had success in the minors and clear out 1/2 of a terrible contract. This is the kind of move rebuilding teams do - take overpriced things you have, save some money on it, and get yourself some pitchers who do have talent even if they haven't had success. This is the natural result of their 2015 failure and probably speeds up their rebuilding.

I will give the Sox credit for trying. Johnson may be a rising star but he blew chunks every time we brought him up for a spot start. I'm sure Tatis will turn into a star like Trayce now, but that's a different topic.

I'm sure Jim Leyland would love to try to win a lousy division title with a big three of Sale, Q and Shields with Rodon by all accounts a nice No. 4. Still have one hack at No. 5.

But my point is, I may happen to think our everyday lineup is putrid, but we do have "name" everyday players in Melky, Abreu, Lawrie Jackson and a nice prospect in Eaton.

My point is ... the blame now shifts to Robin more than the front office. Can't Robin win a measly division title with Sale, Q and Shields for gosh sakes??

p.s. He'll probably opt out after this season if he has any success. If he blows chunks he'll obviously stay.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
I don't even need your name in front of your posts to know their yours. Everyone's doomed. Everyone sucks. The Sox are the worst. Rebuild. Fail. Rinse. Repeat. Save us the scrolling, please.

Saying the Padres didn't do too bad here (which I don't quite agree with) isn't doom and gloom, is it? Some people seem to forget that trades are a two way thing. Trayce's success doesn't ruin the Frazier trade and the speeding up the Padres' rebuild doesn't affect this trade for us. Hopefully Shields does well. Either way, f*** whatever happens in SD.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 06:15 PM)
I don't even need your name in front of your posts to know their yours. Everyone's doomed. Everyone sucks. The Sox are the worst. Rebuild. Fail. Rinse. Repeat. Save us the scrolling, please.

WTF? This makes sense for the Padres. There was no commentary whatsoever about the White Sox and whether or not this was a good deal for them in that post. I come back for one trade and that's the response I get?

Please tell me how the Padres are not doomed. If somehow saying the Padres should be rebuilding is a mistake, please tell me how the Padres have a hope at that division this year. I'm sorry for doubting your Padres so much.

I hope Shields actually is the clubhouse guy everybody says he is. We've heard that before and guys come in our clubhouse and relax, loaf and collect paychecks. Maybe it's for real this time. He did a nice job with the Royals.