White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 12:34 PM)
So I just realized that this makes our 2017 and 2018 rotations:

Sale

Quintana

Shields

Rodon

Fulmer

Sign me up!

Assuming Fulmer pans out/isn't part of a trade for a controllable bat, yes.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 05:01 PM)
I don't think the White Sox wanted Jon Jay. If they did, they'd have him. San Diego was trying to include him in the deal.

The Padres aren't going to give away a decent CF/LF with a .760 OPS for nothing. And the Sox would be a better team with Jay on the 25-man than Avi/Sands/Shuck.

It's more likely that the Sox had some interest in him, but the Padres had little to gain by selling low on Jay. Hahn probably had a limit on how much of Shields' contract he could absorb and was probably not willing to give up a decent minor-leaguer for Jay. It makes more sense for San Diego to entertain offers for Jay closer to the trade deadline and for Hahn to save his tradable minor-leaguers for a higher-impact bat (Bruce, Markakis, etc.).

I think that Shields is close to done, but he may have some benefit this season in allowing Gonzalez or Latos to spot-start for Rodon later this summer. Rodon's arm isn't conditioned to throw 200 innings and the Sox will need to lighten his load in August and September. Right now, Shields is a better bet than EJ or Fulmer.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 12:34 PM)
So I just realized that this makes our 2017 and 2018 rotations:

Sale

Quintana

Shields

Rodon

Fulmer

Sign me up!

Shields is 34 and has already lost velocity. I don't expect him to be in a Sox uni for that much of 2018, and am not sure how much he'll be worth in 2017 either.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 28, 2016 -> 04:53 PM)
You do realize Shields' deal for 2016 , 2017 and 2018 is $21M per year for those 3 years don't you ? I know it would most likely be prorated for the rest of this year but that pretty much takes care of the $13M from LaRoche unless the Sox get the Pads to eat the rest of this year in exchange for the Sox picking up the next 2 years or something of that nature. Like I said in a previous post I'm hoping for 15-20M eaten by Pads but not hopeful on that front.

Really hope this doesn't happen at all.

Sox did even better than I thought they would on getting SD to pony up cash. Turns out it s not a bad deal except for how many years . This year and next would be much better than this year and the next 2 years. But I'm good with it. Now get a bat damn it .

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 08:46 AM)
Free agency looks weak this off season and sox have excess cash so that makes great sense to pick up that contract at $9M per.

In a month they can sign another Tatis rather easily

Johnson had no value and the padre hope is that the NL and that park is what is needed.

I continue to hold out hope for the bullpen.

This offense is bad.

In the end, the white sox are building for next two years.

This will work IF Shields improves to a #3 guy in the rotation. How likely is that when he's a 5 now, 34 and getting worse? Availability of FAs is irrelevant when you acquire a #5.

Sure they can sign another Tatis...except that Williams/Hahn are nowheresville on the top international players this year, when they should be all in. they can also draft another Fulmer and Anderson. The idea is to stockpile young talent, which is what winning organizations do.

WE'll see about Johnson. he certainly didn't work well with Cooper and Cooper rules the world.

Sox are just 2 aces short with Williams/Hahn running the show.

Shields just needs to be a #4 and provide his customary innings and a mid 4's ERA.

The bigger problems are getting Rodon to pitch like a 2/3 and Abreu to jog his muscle memory and get back to 2014/15 form. Without those two things happening, they're not going anywhere regardless.

Having Anderson and Fulmer both work out and not bust would also be quite helpful.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 04:46 PM)
Shields just needs to be a #4 and provide his customary innings and a mid 4's ERA.

The bigger problems are getting Rodon to pitch like a 2/3 and Abreu to jog his muscle memory and get back to 2014/15 form. Without those two things happening, they're not going anywhere regardless.

Having Anderson and Fulmer both work out and not bust would also be quite helpful.

Anderson in t-minus 2 weeks.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 08:36 AM)
There are a small but vocal group of posters that only seem to show up to gloat that the team is failing. They represent about 80% of the complaints to mods that we receive. It's anyone's choice to follow a team they hate and which makes them feel horrible (although I wonder why). But when they are trolling other members it gets looked at.

And there is a difference between feeling horrible when the team doing poorly and posting that and gloating that the team is doing horrible and that poster feels great that they were proven right about what a horrible team it is. The posters that genuinely seem to feel better when the team is doing worse really bring the site down even further than it naturally would.

Great post. I couldn't agree more - way way way too much of that around here. Hard to read.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 06:36 AM)
There are a small but vocal group of posters that only seem to show up to gloat that the team is failing. They represent about 80% of the complaints to mods that we receive. It's anyone's choice to follow a team they hate and which makes them feel horrible (although I wonder why). But when they are trolling other members it gets looked at.

And there is a difference between feeling horrible when the team doing poorly and posting that and gloating that the team is doing horrible and that poster feels great that they were proven right about what a horrible team it is. The posters that genuinely seem to feel better when the team is doing worse really bring the site down even further than it naturally would.

Uncle Gustov, is that youz? Can haz cheeseburgerz? Muha.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 07:48 PM)
Uncle Gustov, is that youz? Can haz cheeseburgerz? Muha.

forgive me for being clueless, but having a hard time figuring out some of your responses. To my past one "Is that you daddy?" When I questioned it, you mentioned something about me being insensitive to an orphan. and now this one Is That You Uncle Gustav? There MUST be something that I am missing someplace. Sorry for my ignorance, but this is Wayyyy over me head.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 11:50 PM)
Anderson in t-minus 2 weeks.

When he comes up they should just release Rollins. Sink or swim with Anderson/Saladino. This team has not shown any ability to compete vs. divisional teams not named Minnesota. I'd let Anderson play. I wish we had a young catcher in the minors we could sink or swim with as well. Avila and Navarro? Cmon. Get rid of 'em.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 08:40 PM)
forgive me for being clueless, but having a hard time figuring out some of your responses. To my past one "Is that you daddy?" When I questioned it, you mentioned something about me being insensitive to an orphan. and now this one Is That You Uncle Gustav? There MUST be something that I am missing someplace. Sorry for my ignorance, but this is Wayyyy over me head.

15cvfw.gif

QUOTE (Coach @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 06:11 AM)
Over the weekend, a Sox reporter stated Erik Johnson will someday be a good pitcher but just not on the White Sox. I asked him why. I am still waiting for an answer. Anyone want to comment?

Please feel free.

I dont agree with the reporter, but i suppose the reasoning would be that he gets a clean slate with a new team that believes in him. My problem with him is the Sox believed in him and gave him multiple chances that he just couldnt do anything with, and his stuff just disappeared. If he finds his velocity again, maybe he will be a good pitcher. But if he is still throwing his flat fastball 89-91, with mediocre control, he isnt gonna be much of anything.

PetCo Park.

See Eric Stults and Clayton Richard. New pitching coach, where it was pretty clearly he and Cooper didn't see eye to eye. Maybe some mechanical changes or just relaxing and he'll get his fastball in the 92-95 MPH range it used to be when he was at his best in the minors.

Pitching in meaningless games without any pressure...all these things make Johnson having a 3.5-3.75 ERA not a complete surprise.

QUOTE (Coach @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 06:11 AM)
Over the weekend, a Sox reporter stated Erik Johnson will someday be a good pitcher but just not on the White Sox. I asked him why. I am still waiting for an answer. Anyone want to comment?

Please feel free.

This organization has done about all it can do with him. Perhaps new coaches, new ball park, teammates, a boost of confidence that he is going someplace that really wants him and gone from the team that didn't want him no more . . .