White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
Which is why, as I told an earlier poster, I'll let the results on the field and the front office moves do the talking from that perspective from now on.

That should make a segment of the readers happy. So it's win / win for all!

Mark

Cool - we'll see how long that lasts.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
I think it does change though. Prior to having a family, the sports world was important, as kids came along it fell back. As the kids got older and move out, there is less going on around the house and the sports world has begun to climb the daily ladder.

Man this is how it feels for me. I am 25 and started my career with a really cool company in the past few months downtown and wanting to prove myself. It feels like I'm not as in to the game as I was despite being a huge baseball and Sox fan. It's crazy and sucks how it happens. Guess it's just a part of growing up.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
I think it does change though. Prior to having a family, the sports world was important, as kids came along it fell back. As the kids got older and move out, there is less going on around the house and the sports world has begun to climb the daily ladder.

Even before I got married and had kids, I found it important to have at least one other hobby besides sports. It's much easier to stay sane that way.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
Man this is how it feels for me. I am 25 and started my career with a really cool company in the past few months downtown and wanting to prove myself. It feels like I'm not as in to the game as I was despite being a huge baseball and Sox fan. It's crazy and sucks how it happens. Guess it's just a part of growing up.

I am at that life cycle as well, but the bigger change for me was, I don't let the losses bring you down. Winning baseball is fun and watching good teams is fun, but if they aren't, I got plenty of other things to do and enjoy. Kids, wife, and work are clearly the highest priorities and while I'm still passionate about sports, I'm not about to waste my time on something that doesn't entertain me. I figure when the kids get older and interest shifts, I figure I might find myself adjust as PTACT described. When I was a kid, I had all the time and could practically name every single MLB roster and every single move. Now, I still spit out a lot, but not near to the degree (far more competing priorities).

So many Sox fans at work walk by me and say crap about losses/how the team is swirling but man I just don't care that much anymore about losing streaks. It's baseball, every team will go through it. The great thing is we're still above .500, get on a mini hot streak or just play .500 ball until the deadline and you are just a move or two away from a WC. I just can't get worked up anymore about bad baseball in May/June.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
I am at that life cycle as well, but the bigger change for me was, I don't let the losses bring you down. Winning baseball is fun and watching good teams is fun, but if they aren't, I got plenty of other things to do and enjoy. Kids, wife, and work are clearly the highest priorities and while I'm still passionate about sports, I'm not about to waste my time on something that doesn't entertain me. I figure when the kids get older and interest shifts, I figure I might find myself adjust as PTACT described. When I was a kid, I had all the time and could practically name every single MLB roster and every single move. Now, I still spit out a lot, but not near to the degree (far more competing priorities).

Yeah I used to be able to name everyone on every roster lol playing games like MVP Baseball and The Show, watching ESPN and MLBN every day over the years used to help. Now I feel lost doing fantasy baseball.

Would the Sox receive a draft pick if Shields were to opt? I know the answer with most players who are traded mid-season is no, but is there a loophole in the rules for players with an opt-out? I just assumed the answer would be no, but Hahn specifically saying they'd receive a compensation pick if Shields opts out and leaves has me wondering. There is no way the White Sox don't understand how the compensation rules work, right? That would be a pretty damning indictment on the organization if they don't know a basic rule most people on here are aware of.

Edited by maxjusttyped

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
Would the Sox receive a draft pick if Shields were to opt? I know the answer with most players who are traded mid-season is no, but is there a loophole in the rules for players with an opt-out? I just assumed the answer would be no, but Hahn specifically saying they'd receive a compensation pick if Shields opts out and leaves has me wondering. There is no way the White Sox don't understand how the compensation rules work, right? That would be a pretty damning incitement on the organization if they don't know a basic rule most people on here are aware of.

I don't think so, but he'd be DAMNED FOOL to opt out.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
Would the Sox receive a draft pick if Shields were to opt? I know the answer with most players who are traded mid-season is no, but is there a loophole in the rules for players with an opt-out? I just assumed the answer would be no, but Hahn specifically saying they'd receive a compensation pick if Shields opts out and leaves has me wondering. There is no way the White Sox don't understand how the compensation rules work, right? That would be a pretty damning indictment on the organization if they don't know a basic rule most people on here are aware of.

Maybe they would receive a PTNBL from the Padres or something as compensation since we are trading for 2.5 seasons of Shields and we would only get half a season.

The CBA states that to be eligible to receive a qualifying offer a player must have been with the same Club at the major or minor league level since Opening Day of the last completed season. Ergo, the Sox could not offer him a qualifying offer.

Text from page 87:

(3) Rights of Former Club

The following provision shall apply only to each Player who becomes a free agent under this Section B after having been contin- uously under reserve (without interruption) to the same Club (either at the Major or Minor League level) since Opening Day of the recently completed championship season (“Qualified Free Agent”).

During the Quiet Period, the former Club of a Qualified Free Agent may tender the Qualified Free Agent a one-year Uniform Player’s Contract for the next succeeding season with a guaranteed salary that is equal to the average salary of the 125 highest-paid Players each year (“Qualifying Offer”).....

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
Agreed, but not knowing how FA compensation works would be a pretty damning thing. Knowing the basic rules of roster management should be step 1 for being a GM.

Honestly, I didn't read your post completely. Didn't realize Hahn said that. Due to the opt out clause, they must get the comp pick if he does chose to opt out. More reason why he won't do it.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
Even before I got married and had kids, I found it important to have at least one other hobby besides sports. It's much easier to stay sane that way.

Good for you, different strokes for different folks as the old saying goes.

Mark

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 04:06 PM)
The CBA states that to be eligible to receive a qualifying offer a player must have been with the same Club at the major or minor league level since Opening Day of the last completed season. Ergo, the Sox could not offer him a qualifying offer.

Thats what I thought, but I'd be pretty blown away if Rick said they would get a pick if he opts out and was wrong about that. Admittedly, I haven't seen or heard that quote - just read it here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)

Text from page 87:

Is there any other paragraph that maybe indicates something different for a player who opts out of a contract. I don't know the answer (knew of the 1 year for impending FA's, just wasn't sure if opt-outs were somehow treated differently?). I skimmed and didn't see anything.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
Thats what I thought, but I'd be pretty blown away if Rick said they would get a pick if he opts out and was wrong about that. Admittedly, I haven't seen or heard that quote - just read it here.

As I stated above, I think we would receive compensation from the Padres if he opts out. Think that's what he meant.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
As I stated above, I think we would receive compensation from the Padres if he opts out. Think that's what he meant.

I get it - my point is that if Rick were wrong about that I'd be blown away.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 05:10 PM)
Is there any other paragraph that maybe indicates something different for a player who opts out of a contract. I don't know the answer (knew of the 1 year for impending FA's, just wasn't sure if opt-outs were somehow treated differently?). I skimmed and didn't see anything.

As far as I can tell from the section on player and team option years there is no distinction. The QO process is not mentioned there and nothing about player/team options is included in the QO section. It's Opening Day.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 04:16 PM)
Do you have a link to that text by Hahn?

I'm digging online to try and find something right now. They played a soundbite on The Score a few minutes ago where Hahn specifically mentioned receiving compensation if Shields were to opt out.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 05:21 PM)
I'm digging online to try and find something right now. They played a soundbite on The Score a few minutes ago where Hahn specifically mentioned receiving compensation if Shields were to opt out.

Well, let's say it this way - there's nothing I can find in the CBA that supports what RH said and the text I read quite clearly disagrees. There could be something buried somewhere in there, but I checked the sections that seem relevant to me.