White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 06:41 PM)
Colleen Kane ‏@ChiTribKane 29m29 minutes ago

Hahn believes Shields can be fixed. "We believe they’re more mechanics...than the unprecedented evaporation of talent in a premier starter."

What else is he gonna say?

At least he's acknowledging how s***ty he's been. Props for that, I guess.

Pre 2013, you would have been able to say premiere starter. Pre 2014, maybe...

2016, not so much. He's a so-so 3 or a very good 4 on most contending teams at this point.

Premiere should be reserved for aces and #2's. But Hahn is doing a nice job of "creating an aura of mystery" with the term unprecedented evaporation of talent. That's called covering your own ass, but not sure JR will be buying it. For under $5 million, no biggie. On the hook for this much (not unlike KW's Rios and Peavy acquisitions), it's an issue payroll-wise going forward.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 03:22 AM)
Pre 2013, you would have been able to say premiere starter. Pre 2014, maybe...

2016, not so much. He's a so-so 3 or a very good 4 on most contending teams at this point.

Not on a contending AL team. On an AL team he's a 5 at best and a pretty bad one at that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 2m2 minutes ago

Robin Ventura on James Shields side session Mon with Don Cooper: "It was good. Coop was pleased with it." Shields starts Thursday in Boston.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 2m1 minute ago

Correction. Ventura and Cooper were actually observing this and assumed it was Shields:

31PWYtlpoJL.jpg

It would be a bit funnier if Shields himself just stuck that tee and ball out there and skipped his side session....hiding in the tunnel while the media took pictures.

You almost have to have a sense of humor about it at this point, it's so historically horrific. It's making Dunn's 2011, LaRoche's 2015 and Frazier's recent slide look not so bad in comparison.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 05:15 AM)
You should be licking your chops if you have Boston this week in a 13 run pool. Anybody still do 13 run pools?

Especially with their offensive struggles the first two games and then Q tonight....they'll be like sharks sensing blood in the water across an entire ocean and going into predator/cruise control attack mode.

Erik Johnson today, Shields goes tomorrow.

"Almost all of his hits were with two strikes," Padres manager Andy Green said. "I think it's a little bit of a function of he's working predominantly one side of the plate."

Johnson and Green saw some progress.

"Compared to my last outing, I'm definitely taking more than a few steps forward," Johnson said. "I had a feel for all four of my pitches. I used them well, just a few balls left the yard.

"For me, it's just putting myself in situations where I've got to stay away from that."

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/sports/article843...l#storylink=cpy

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 07:18 AM)
Especially with their offensive struggles the first two games and then Q tonight....they'll be like sharks sensing blood in the water across an entire ocean and going into predator/cruise control attack mode.

Erik Johnson today, Shields goes tomorrow.

"Almost all of his hits were with two strikes," Padres manager Andy Green said. "I think it's a little bit of a function of he's working predominantly one side of the plate."

Johnson and Green saw some progress.

"Compared to my last outing, I'm definitely taking more than a few steps forward," Johnson said. "I had a feel for all four of my pitches. I used them well, just a few balls left the yard.

"For me, it's just putting myself in situations where I've got to stay away from that."

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/sports/article843...l#storylink=cpy

Well, we'll see. Cooper wanted nothing to do with Johnson. He's pleased with Shields' side sessions. We'll see which pitcher under which coach gets better.

We'll see if Cooper still has the magic (that is continuously touted but hasn't been apparent in a decade).

Now Cooper didn't make the trade - that was Rick Hahn. So Shields needs to be a lot better for it to make sense and to be a rare positive in the Hahn ledger.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 07:36 AM)
Well, we'll see. Cooper wanted nothing to do with Johnson. He's pleased with Shields' side sessions. We'll see which pitcher under which coach gets better.

We'll see if Cooper still has the magic (that is continuously touted but hasn't been apparent in a decade).

Now Cooper didn't make the trade - that was Rick Hahn. So Shields needs to be a lot better for it to make sense and to be a rare positive in the Hahn ledger.

Johnson s*** the bed every time he came up. That isnt on Cooper, thats on Johnson. Dude has given up 10 homeruns in 4 starts this season.

But please, continue on with your extended whine.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 08:29 AM)
Johnson s*** the bed every time he came up. That isnt on Cooper, thats on Johnson. Dude has given up 10 homeruns in 4 starts this season.

Like I said, we'll see which pitcher out-performs which. It's a fair test. Probably both will stink. Which of course, would be a big negative for the Sox (and still a positive for the Padres).

Of course, if Shields can pitch like a 3, then it's a big win for the Sox. Work thy magic, Cooper.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 08:29 AM)

Johnson should have an advantage being able to go to the NL and to pitch in one of the most pitcher friendly stadiums in the league. If he doesnt see any success in San Diego he just isnt ever going to.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
Johnson should have an advantage being able to go to the NL and to pitch in one of the most pitcher friendly stadiums in the league. If he doesnt see any success in San Diego he just isnt ever going to.

It hasnt been better so far.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)

I agree. That park should minimize his weaknesses, if he can otherwise pitch well. But it hasn't so far.

Of course that's the park where Shields was pitching as well....

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 04:15 AM)
You should be licking your chops if you have Boston this week in a 13 run pool. Anybody still do 13 run pools?

Probably not, too old school. That's from back before there was fantasy baseball and Sabre-toothed mathematicians who think how a catcher catches a pitched ball is more important in getting strikes called than the place the pitcher throws it.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 11:07 PM)
You heard it here first- James Shields' line tomorrow: W, 7 IP, 2 ER, 2 R, 7 K, 6 H, 3 BB, strikes on 68 of 103 pitches

lol.

That would be a miracle.

If he goes more than 5, I'll eat my hat.