White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 28, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
LaRoche retiring frees up 13M they already had budgeted to spend. If the team is still in contention in July, there is no reason they shouldn't be able to add another piece.

You do realize Shields' deal for 2016 , 2017 and 2018 is $21M per year for those 3 years don't you ? I know it would most likely be prorated for the rest of this year but that pretty much takes care of the $13M from LaRoche unless the Sox get the Pads to eat the rest of this year in exchange for the Sox picking up the next 2 years or something of that nature. Like I said in a previous post I'm hoping for 15-20M eaten by Pads but not hopeful on that front.

Really hope this doesn't happen at all.

Considering the source, I'll take the Shields rumor with a grain of salt. Wasn't WhiteSoxDave one of the Twatter people that were talking up Cespedes signing with the Sox last winter? Something about 5/130M, if I remember correctly...

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 28, 2016 -> 06:53 PM)
You do realize Shields' deal for 2016 , 2017 and 2018 is $21M per year for those 3 years don't you ? I know it would most likely be prorated for the rest of this year but that pretty much takes care of the $13M from LaRoche unless the Sox get the Pads to eat the rest of this year in exchange for the Sox picking up the next 2 years or something of that nature. Like I said in a previous post I'm hoping for 15-20M eaten by Pads but not hopeful on that front.

Really hope this doesn't happen at all.

I agree just now getting Danks off books this year do not want another s***ty contract for 3 years.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 28, 2016 -> 06:14 PM)
I can't imagine that the Sox would take on that contract, and give up young talent. That would be very foolish.

Calling Erik Johnson and Tatis (too bad he can't hit like his dad) talent are pushing it...and Erik really deserves a chance with another organization with the way the White Sox have treated him, anyway.

It's the financial part of it that's most alarming and reactionary.

• Haha 1

If this is the actual package you absolutely do it. Expensive, yes. But shields is a good pitcher. If shields is your 3-4 starter that's a good rotation. We still need to add a bat and lefty reliever though.. Also who is white sox Dave? I don't have Twitter but googled his account and he has a good following and it looks like Hayes and him talk to each other.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 28, 2016 -> 04:54 PM)
Considering the source, I'll take the Shields rumor with a grain of salt. Wasn't WhiteSoxDave one of the Twatter people that were talking up Cespedes signing with the Sox last winter? Something about 5/130M, if I remember correctly...

But it's picking up steam now with other sources, San Diego Union Tribune, MLB trade Rumors, Yahoo Sports, MLB Daily Dish, SouthSide Sox and others.

QUOTE (gosoxgo2005 @ May 28, 2016 -> 07:32 PM)
If this is the actual package you absolutely do it. Expensive, yes. But shields is a good pitcher. If shields is your 3-4 starter that's a good rotation.

1.3 WHIP against NL competition.

34 years old

Nowhere near what he once was...i.e. another decliner.

ON the hook for 2 years after this with a little less than $60 million owed.

How does that warrant any substantive package of players?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 28, 2016 -> 08:43 PM)
1.3 WHIP against NL competition.

34 years old

Nowhere near what he once was...i.e. another decliner.

ON the hook for 2 years after this with a little less than $60 million owed.

How does that warrant any substantive package of players?

That's definitely a KW player

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 28, 2016 -> 07:12 PM)
Trying to take focus off baseball for awhile, decided to read HIROSHIMA by John Hershey to put things in perspective.

Still hoping this trade doesn't go through unless the Padres are eating roughly $16-18 million out of the $56 million we'd end up owing.

Padres eating money part is what the article missed.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 28, 2016 -> 05:30 PM)
If Shields can pitch well enough to be a solid #3 starter, and it doesn't cost much in the way of talent to bring him here, I say do it. I don't give a damn how much money he makes, JR got this franchise into this mess so let him spend the money to get them out of it.

I care a lot about his contract. Remember when Danks and LaRoche contracts prevented the Sox from doing much in the free agent outfield market or relegated them to dumpster diving for Rollins,Latos and Jackson ? Now apply that for the rest of this year plus 2017 and 2018 with Shields . I have hope though that some other team presents a better package than the Sox are willing to offer or are willing to eat more of his contract. Come on Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers !

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 28, 2016 -> 07:22 PM)
I care a lot about his contract. Remember when Danks and LaRoche contracts prevented the Sox from doing much in the free agent outfield market or relegated them to dumpster diving for Rollins,Latos and Jackson ? Now apply that for the rest of this year plus 2017 and 2018 with Shields . I have hope though that some other team presents a better package than the Sox are willing to offer or are willing to eat more of his contract. Come on Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers !

Let JR and his investors spend the money to make this team competitive again. They can't do it by trading away talent, the have no minor league system so they have to buy their way back to being a contender.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 28, 2016 -> 08:22 PM)

To be fair, next years FA class sucks. I'm not sure about 2018 besides Harper and were not going to be in that derby.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 28, 2016 -> 06:36 PM)
Let JR and his investors spend the money to make this team competitive again. They can't do it by trading away talent, the have no minor league system so they have to buy their way back to being a contender.

That's never been his M.O. though. If it was the Sox probably could've landed Cespedes. I'm just being realistic. It ain't gonna happen.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 28, 2016 -> 08:47 PM)
How does the opt-out clause factor into negotiating leverage? Are the Sox able to offer less since they can say "Well we might only have him for 20 starts."

There's no chance Shields opts out. And if he does, that means pitched so well that we should be able to get a comp pick from his exit.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 28, 2016 -> 06:48 PM)
There's no chance Shields opts out. And if he does, that means pitched so well that we should be able to get a comp pick from his exit.

This. Shields is laughing all the way to the bank. He's making 21M for 16, 17 and 18. Why opt out ? There's no way he can get more money than he's getting now. I don't care how well he pitched. At 35 (next year) no one offers him more than what he's already got guaranteed through 2018 and the extra 2M to buy him out for 2019.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 28, 2016 -> 08:55 PM)
This. Shields is laughing all the way to the bank. He's making 21M for 16, 17 and 18. Why opt out ? There's no way he can get more money than he's getting now. I don't care how well he pitched. At 35 (next year) no one offers him more than what he's already got guaranteed through 2018 and the extra 2M to buy him out for 2019.

Exactly. I seriously doubt he'd get that on the open market let alone if he pitched well. That's a lot of money given his age

If you look at his stats the last 2-3 months in the 2014 season, and into the playoffs...I can't see where this would be very encouraging.

Need further evidence, it's Cueto and Shark in the same division.

Now if this whole thing is about bringing in yet another experienced winner, veteran leader, clubhouse presence...etc., it really makes you wonder what's going on in that clubhouse about now.

With all the innings he threw for the Rays all those years, the tank is much closer to empty than full at this point. The last thing they could afford is for someone making that kind of money in the rotation to go down to TJ surgery and destroy the remaining payroll flexibility for two more years.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 28, 2016 -> 07:44 PM)
That's never been his M.O. though. If it was the Sox probably could've landed Cespedes. I'm just being realistic. It ain't gonna happen.

Oh I know and you are correct, of course. But I'm so pissed at this organization already and after today's disaster my attitude is that JR caused this mess now either let him spend his way out of it or sell the damn team to someone who knows how to run a baseball franchise.

The only way to fix this mess is to overspend money to bring in talent.