5/31/16 Game Thread: White Sox @ Mets

hogan873

If the Sox keep losing, we're going to run out of folks to start game threads.

The struggling White Sox are in New York again, facing off against the Mets. Mat Latos (6-1, 4.06) takes the mound for the Sox while Steven Matz (7-1, 2.36) goes for the Mets. Most of the Mets batters have seen Latos before, but only Frazier has ever faced Matz.

First pitch is at 6:10 CDT.

Go Sox!

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Something's gotta give.

Matz has won his last 7 decisions (not sure if they're consecutive) and Latos has pitched poorly five times in a row (well, one time he "only" gave up three runs, the rest were 4 or more).

Team was 3-2 in those 5, on the bright side.

Edited by caulfield12

I will always cheer for the Sox, but this season has pretty much broken me as a fan. Hard to ever be optimistic about them again until they actually get to a postseason. They are terrible at assessing major league talent, the farm is weak and unable to develop offensive talent, management is cheap and always tries piecing teams together with band aids...will just be hard to get excited for anything again for awhile with this organization.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ May 31, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
I know this sounds terrible but i want them to win on one hand but on the other hand i want robin gone.

I'm sorry but that is such a ludicrous viewpoint to have as a fan. It's one thing to be willing to lose late in the season so changes are made or a better draft pick is to be had but it is f***ing May 31 and they are just 2 games back despite losing 7 in a row. I swear some of you people like to see them fail just so you have something to whine about and it really makes it a chore to even visit this board at times.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 31, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
On June 1 they will be over .500 and within a decent streak of being in first. My GOD how they suck.

It is all perspective. If they were sitting two games out on May 31 without the 23-10 start, and without the 4- whatever streak on the other end, most people would be thrilled. The falloff from one extreme to the other is what is killing people. As of today, we are on a pace for about 84 wins, which really is really close to about what most people thought they would do for the whole season. The mode prediction was 86-87 wins. A win today changes that projection back to 86 wins.

The irony is if you had switched the cold streak and hot streaks around, this place would be going crazy with optimism right now.

The reality that a team is never as good as its hot streaks, and never as bad as its cold streaks.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 31, 2016 -> 07:33 PM)
Yes. He should always play vs lefties and never vs righties. If Ventura insists on him being the starter, but chooses this as his day off, I riot.

And Rollins will be right back in tomorrow against another flame throwing righty

QUOTE (Tex @ May 31, 2016 -> 12:47 PM)
On June 1 they will be over .500 and within a decent streak of being in first. My GOD how they suck.

This is without even the slightest bit of context, though. Fact of the matter is, this team has blown 5 games in the last 3 weeks that they should have won & have won 4 games in their last (20?). Obviously they aren't this bad but to operate under that mindset w/o any sort of context doesn't make much sense to me.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ May 31, 2016 -> 08:56 PM)
This is without even the slightest bit of context, though. Fact of the matter is, this team has blown 5 games in the last 3 weeks that they should have won & have won 4 games in their last (20?). Obviously they aren't this bad but to operate under that mindset w/o any sort of context doesn't make much sense to me.

They haven't played themselves out of contention though. Way too early to root for losses, etc

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2016 -> 01:00 PM)
They haven't played themselves out of contention though. Way too early to root for losses, etc

By no means am I rooting for them to lose. I'm simply saying that all these fans that think they are fine just because of their record need to use some context.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 31, 2016 -> 08:40 PM)
I'm sorry but that is such a ludicrous viewpoint to have as a fan. It's one thing to be willing to lose late in the season so changes are made or a better draft pick is to be had but it is f***ing May 31 and they are just 2 games back despite losing 7 in a row. I swear some of you people like to see them fail just so you have something to whine about and it really makes it a chore to even visit this board at times.

My views exactly. I am really getting fed up with the shark frenzy that goes on her after every play not made, every hit not made, every game lost. This team in slumping and they are more upset than we are I am betting. We will turn this around and it's only May 31st and we are two games out. We could be like the Twins for crying out loud.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ May 31, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
By no means am I rooting for them to lose. I'm simply saying that all these fans that think they are fine just because of their record need to use some context.

That perspective works both ways.