Cashing in on Todd Frazier at the deadline?

ron883

White Sox need to learn from the Cubs with the Shark trade. Frazier for a year and a half has a ton of value. Think they try to flip him at the deadline? Nick Delmonico is possibly knocking on the door, and Brett Lawrie can take 3B with Sanchez getting ABs at 2nd. Ideal? No, but the Sox aren't doing s*** this year. It's time to think about selling on some players.

NO.

The White Sox are going to have until the end of June at least...after a good stretch of games against the rest of the AL Central.

That's the time when you might start want to talk about taking offers for Cabrera, Lawrie and Frazier.

The obvious problem is very few teams want to trade productive major league talent right now, so if they realistically want to compete in 2017, they can't be breaking in Anderson, Fulmer, Jacob May, Trey M. and a host of others at the same time with all these prospects you're hoping to get for Todd.

Trading Frazier is basically a form of surrender or White Flag. Yes, Lawrie could play 3B, Saladino SS and they could move Anderson to 2B and perhaps not suffer an incredible fall-off offensively, but there's just too many unknowns in all three of those players to bet on each of them for 2017 with any degree of certainty.

A week from now, we'll probably be frustrated with Saladino and want Rollins back...or tired of Lawrie's K's or eye black or pink fangs. We're certainly ready to throw in the towel on Avi/Sands and Avila.

Tell me what team's going to trade for Frazier and what they're willing to give up that would help the White Sox in 2017...otherwise, it's not worth it.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 12:17 AM)
White Sox need to learn from the Cubs with the Shark trade. Frazier for a year and a half has a ton of value. Think they try to flip him at the deadline? Nick Delmonico is possibly knocking on the door, and Brett Lawrie can take 3B with Sanchez getting ABs at 2nd. Ideal? No, but the Sox aren't doing s*** this year. It's time to think about selling on some players.

OK how do you ignore someone?

And Delmonico's had less than one week at Charlotte. If he can keep putting up those numbers for least 45-60 games, then you might be able to talk about more realistically.

White Sox fans saw more than enough of Sanchez last year...I don't think they have the patience for another 100+ games of mid 500's OPS.

I'd at the bare minimum want a majors ready LH power bat and a catcher in the mid-minors who projects as a major league starter.

This would allow you to bring Anderson up and play him every day at SS and make Saladino the every day 3B (unless you want to give Davidson/Delmonico a shot).

Edited by soxforlife05

Depends whether or not we feel this team is for real as a post season threat.

If this team continues to be terrible, anything is on the table, IMHO. I laugh when people call this trolling. It's a fair question.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)

If this team continues to be terrible, anything is on the table, IMHO. I laugh when people call this trolling. It's a fair question.

With as hard as it has been for the White Sox to find dependable position players, especially at third, it really isn't reality to suggest that Frazier is going anywhere. This team would need a 2008 style meltdown season (not bad month) to get to the point where they think about it. And in reality, I really think they trade a guy like Quintana as they know they can produce pitching, before a guy like Frazier goes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 08:52 AM)
With as hard as it has been for the White Sox to find dependable position players, especially at third, it really isn't reality to suggest that Frazier is going anywhere. This team would need a 2008 style meltdown season (not bad month) to get to the point where they think about it. And in reality, I really think they trade a guy like Quintana as they know they can produce pitching, before a guy like Frazier goes.

2007?

2009?

2011?

2013?

2015?

It's important to note here they were VERY close to blowing up the 2010 team and gave it a couple more weeks (and were rewarded big-time for that patience)....resulting in a 26-5 run.

Now if the White Sox would have been better off starting the rebuild then instead of 2013, I'll leave it for someone else to argue.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)

The team is not terrible. They had a bad couple weeks, it happens. Out of the 7 game losing streak, 5 were by one or two runs. As it is they are on pace to win 86 games which should have them right in the hunt.

Also you are the first person to mention trolling in this thread.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)
2007?

2009?

2011?

2013?

2015?

It's important to note here they were VERY close to blowing up the 2010 team and gave it a couple more weeks (and were rewarded big-time for that patience)....resulting in a 26-5 run.

Now if the White Sox would have been better off starting the rebuild then instead of 2013, I'll leave it for someone else to argue.

This team is not trading Todd Frazier while 2 games out of first place, no matter how many random things you put into a list.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 03:46 PM)

I thought it was a fair question too. This is not a playoff caliber team. After a decade of floundering and 6 losing seasons out of 9 nothing should be left off the table. Whatever the Sox have been doing it hasn't been working. New ownership is not on the horizon. Hopefully new and better strategies are. I like Frazier, but the Sox aren't going to contend this year, there is precious little on the farm so it's time to see if you can do any good with what you do have. Nobody, not even Chris Sale should be off limits. Times are tough.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
I thought it was a fair question too. This is not a playoff caliber team. After a decade of floundering and 6 losing seasons out of 9 nothing should be left off the table. Whatever the Sox have been doing it hasn't been working. New ownership is not on the horizon. Hopefully new and better strategies are. I like Frazier, but the Sox aren't going to contend this year, there is precious little on the farm so it's time to see if you can do any good with what you do have. Nobody, not even Chris Sale should be off limits. Times are tough.

These threads are posted every season. It's not happening. I don't think they'd sell or trade off assets until next year's trade deadline at the earliest.