Why do coaches and managers become so stupid?

Obviously almost anyone here could manage as well as every Sox manager we've had. Same goes for every other sport. What happens when someone is named head coach or manager? Do they try to hard to be unique and forget basic fundamentals, stats, and sound strategy?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 08:22 AM)
Obviously almost anyone here could manage as well as every Sox manager we've had. Same goes for every other sport. What happens when someone is named head coach or manager? Do they try to hard to be unique and forget basic fundamentals, stats, and sound strategy?

That or they go so by the book that they can't see straight. "I got a lefty coming up, I need to bring in that other pitcher, even though it will be my 3rd pitcher of the inning, because that's what i am supposed to do!"

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 08:43 AM)
That or they go so by the book that they can't see straight. "I got a lefty coming up, I need to bring in that other pitcher, even though it will be my 3rd pitcher of the inning, because that's what i am supposed to do!"

This always bothers me. Just cause it's a lefty coming up doesn't mean you need to call in the southpaw. There's other factors too.

Baseball is so different than the other sports. There's so much going on during the game fast in football, hockey and basketball. In those sports I think the coaches just have much more going on than the fans realize and don't have time to crunch probabilities, and may have planned for a specific action in the week and it biases them.

In baseball, they have plenty of time to decide their actions, but I also think there is so much in game planning and prep in baseball that we don't see, and that's their bias. They planned for certain scenarios because of player health or play, and even if it's blowing up in their face in that game, this was what they prepped for as best case and will see through it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 10:03 AM)
Baseball is so different than the other sports. There's so much going on during the game fast in football, hockey and basketball. In those sports I think the coaches just have much more going on than the fans realize and don't have time to crunch probabilities, and may have planned for a specific action in the week and it biases them.

In baseball, they have plenty of time to decide their actions, but I also think there is so much in game planning and prep in baseball that we don't see, and that's their bias. They planned for certain scenarios because of player health or play, and even if it's blowing up in their face in that game, this was what they prepped for as best case and will see through it.

It feels like in football (most football teams waste 4th down by punting when they really shouldn't) there are a couple of situations similar to baseball, but overall you are right.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
It feels like in football (most football teams waste 4th down by punting when they really shouldn't) there are a couple of situations similar to baseball, but overall you are right.

The one thing with that is football coaches don't have benefit of "in the long run". They could get totally screwed with bad luck on a run of fourth downs, tank their season, and nobody would hire them again.

I legitimately think I could be a pretty good x's and o's manager. I could not do that in football or basketball. Literally couldn't. Now I wouldn't have the job in any league cause I don't think I'd command enough respect in the lockeroom if I just got hired from my finance gig to being an MLB manager.

I also think it is hilarious how literally no matter what a manager does it will be given grief. People complain about Rollins, he sits him yesterday against a lefty and everyone goes irate (it isn't like Saladino is a lefty and Rollins doesn't have a huge career lefty / righty split).

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
I legitimately think I could be a pretty good x's and o's manager. I could not do that in football or basketball. Literally couldn't. Now I wouldn't have the job in any league cause I don't think I'd command enough respect in the lockeroom if I just got hired from my finance gig to being an MLB manager.

I also think it is hilarious how literally no matter what a manager does it will be given grief. People complain about Rollins, he sits him yesterday against a lefty and everyone goes irate (it isn't like Saladino is a lefty and Rollins doesn't have a huge career lefty / righty split).

Aren't there a number of top front office types that have finance degrees and background?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 08:22 AM)

You can't assume that all managers and coaches were ever good at strategy in the first place. Coaches are hired for various reasons and attributes, and they have so many different responsibilities. Maybe a coach is so good at having his players ready to play everyday and can handle pitchers so well, you ignore his tendencies to bunt or ignore splits, etc.