Your Trade Target Wishlist

Dunt

The sellers picture is becoming a little bit clearer now that we are into June. I think we've identified the weaknesses of our team at this point. If you were KW/Hahn, how would you go about addressing the Sox weaknesses for the last couple months of the season? A couple names I'd like the Sox to look at trading for:

-Arodys Vizcaino: Absolutely on fire right now, you can bring him in to set up Robertson and even take some saves when Robertson isn't available. Allows you to push Jones to the 7th inning and use your lefties a little more situationally. Also controllable for the next 3 seasons and atlanta is definitely looking to sell.

-Steve Pearce: Despite a reasonable run differential, the Rays are buried in the East with a ton of injuries. Steve Pearce is on a 1 yr deal and is having himself quite a solid season. He is crushing lefties and is an OBP machine with positional versatility. I think the Sox could get him for pretty cheap and he would be a nice rotational piece.

-Kole Calhoun: Angels are a mess and need to rebuild around Trout. Calhoun is a tradeable asset that could net them a solid prospect haul. A lefty bat with some pop and a plus defender that you could slide into LF. I think he would probably cost Fulmer+, but I would give that a long, hard look.

-Sean Doolittle: Not sure we need another lefty in the pen, but he would absolutely be the best we'd have if they did that trade. Gives you an option in the 8th, peripherals check out, though his HR/FB is a touch high.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have 4 glaring needs: A power bat, a high leverage relief pitcher, a middle of the rotation SP, and a utility player to improve our bench. Here are my suggestions:

Andrew Miller & Carlos Beltran in a package deal: We need that 3 headed monster coming out of that pen and with Miller we'd have Jones, Miller, and Robertson. Beltran is showing good pop after a nice May and would slide in nicely to that DH role. Plus he's a switch hitter, and we are in need of a lefty bat. Now, to get this package, we will probably have to trade Fulmer or Anderson. Or perhaps they would bite at a package consisting of Avi Garcia, Spencer Adams & Tyler Danish/Jordan Guerrero?

Jimmy Nelson (Probably too expensive tho): Love the arm, would slot nicely in our rotation. Don't see the Brewers giving up that without a haul in return.

Therefore...

James Shields or Rich Hill will be available for a cheaper price. Hill's contract expires this year and is owed far less than Shields is, and his body of work this season has been a lot better. I am just reluctant to trust that he can put these numbers up over the course of the season and help this team during a deep playoff run. Therefore my preference is James Shields, he has more experience and I'm sure SD would be willing to pay some salary.

One of Ryan Raburn, Kelly Johnson, or Chris Coghlan to solidify the bench. We saw the effect of a solid bench has with a team like the mets, who could go to guys like Uribe or Kelly Johnson off the bench to get a hit. Raburn has been lighting it up this year, while Johnson and Coghlan have struggled. All 3 provide versatility and could be solid fill ins in case of injury. Our current bench is full of AAAA players and not one of a playoff team. I'm sure you could get any 3 of those guys for a low end prospect

Lineup:

Eaton

Abreu

Beltran

Frazier

Melky

Lawrie

Jackson

Avila

Saladino

Bench:

Raburn/Coghlan/Johnson

Navarro

Rollins

Coats/Davidson/Sanchez

Rotation

Sale

Q

Shields

Rodon

Latos/Gonzalez

Bullpen

Robertson

Miller

Jones

Putnam

Duke

Jennings

Albers

SO those are my moves. I doubt we will make that many trades but I think that is a playoff roster.

QUOTE (professa @ Jun 2, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
I think we have 4 glaring needs: A power bat, a high leverage relief pitcher, a middle of the rotation SP, and a utility player to improve our bench. Here are my suggestions:

Andrew Miller & Carlos Beltran in a package deal: We need that 3 headed monster coming out of that pen and with Miller we'd have Jones, Miller, and Robertson. Beltran is showing good pop after a nice May and would slide in nicely to that DH role. Plus he's a switch hitter, and we are in need of a lefty bat. Now, to get this package, we will probably have to trade Fulmer or Anderson. Or perhaps they would bite at a package consisting of Avi Garcia, Spencer Adams & Tyler Danish/Jordan Guerrero?

Jimmy Nelson (Probably too expensive tho): Love the arm, would slot nicely in our rotation. Don't see the Brewers giving up that without a haul in return.

Therefore...

James Shields or Rich Hill will be available for a cheaper price. Hill's contract expires this year and is owed far less than Shields is, and his body of work this season has been a lot better. I am just reluctant to trust that he can put these numbers up over the course of the season and help this team during a deep playoff run. Therefore my preference is James Shields, he has more experience and I'm sure SD would be willing to pay some salary.

One of Ryan Raburn, Kelly Johnson, or Chris Coghlan to solidify the bench. We saw the effect of a solid bench has with a team like the mets, who could go to guys like Uribe or Kelly Johnson off the bench to get a hit. Raburn has been lighting it up this year, while Johnson and Coghlan have struggled. All 3 provide versatility and could be solid fill ins in case of injury. Our current bench is full of AAAA players and not one of a playoff team. I'm sure you could get any 3 of those guys for a low end prospect

Lineup:

Eaton

Abreu

Beltran

Frazier

Melky

Lawrie

Jackson

Avila

Saladino

Bench:

Raburn/Coghlan/Johnson

Navarro

Rollins

Coats/Davidson/Sanchez

Rotation

Sale

Q

Shields

Rodon

Latos/Gonzalez

Bullpen

Robertson

Miller

Jones

Putnam

Duke

Jennings

Albers

SO those are my moves. I doubt we will make that many trades but I think that is a playoff roster.

Let's trade for Bryant, Arrieta, Kershaw, Trout, Arrenado too while we're at it

QUOTE (gosoxgo2005 @ Jun 2, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
Let's trade for Bryant, Arrieta, Kershaw, Trout, Arrenado too while we're at it

Huh? His proposals weren't that farfetched....

I too think Kelly Johnson would be nice addition to the bench. Hope we shoot higher than Carlos Beltran for the big bat acquisition though.

I honestly think that by June 20th the picture will be clearer.

By that time the sellers market will have emerged.

We'll have played 12 in division games.

KC and CLE will have played 7 games against each other.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/18161...98194-658620023

The rare article where the author really seems to know about the teams involved and not just speculating.

For the White Sox, that telling statistic is 2nd from the bottom in OPS against RHP...at only .688.

So, no matter what you want to say about the 4/5 spots, whether Albers is "real" or not, whether Petricka will be serviceable again, about Saladino/Rollins/Anderson or the catchers....the FIRST priority needs to be hitters who can rake against RHP, and they're preferably switch hitters or lefties.

The other problem with the starting pitching market is that everyone's out there looking for improvements. Bullpen and hitting help should be a bit cheaper to come by.

Beltran, with his 833 OPS against RHP for 2013-2015 (868 this season), would be a good/experienced solution (and would of course drive GreenSox crazy). Of course, the Indians and Royals (if Morales doesn't recover and/or they can get away with him in the OF occasionally) are also going to have an interest, and the Indians have more trade chips to work with. The question for them is of course salary affordability.

Andrew Miller being included in that trade, though....blows it up from a talent surrendered perspective. Miller would be a huge get and cover the Duke disappointment, but at what cost?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 2, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
Huh? His proposals weren't that farfetched....

I too think Kelly Johnson would be nice addition to the bench. Hope we shoot higher than Carlos Beltran for the big bat acquisition though.

How many experienced AL hitters are going to give you a return of an 850+ OPS against RHP and not cost something significant?

Beltran is one of the better choices out there, because of his age, playoff experience and contract.

Kelly Johnson only has a 548 OPS against RHP this year and ONLY 715 over the much more indicative three year timeframe. Not sure how that clearly makes us better.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/...ing3/aaron-hill

Aaron Hill would seem to be the better choice, based on this season. Otoh, coming from NL to AL, he's not LH, he plays a position we don't have a pressing need at, so unless he could put up current 812 OPS for the White Sox at DH and not his close to 700 splits (they're basically even over 2013-2015), then it's not a big improvement either.

They would be better off with Rollins against LHP and then ANYONE NOT NAMED AVI GARCIA against RHP.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/30867/jerry-sands

LOL. Career-wise, Jerry Sands has 549 and 551 splits against LH/RH pitching, about what you'd expect. WOEFUL.

However, if you go by his minor league numbers, he's been at over 800 the last couple of seasons against RHP...especially for Columbus, where he was at 940 against RHP and 970 against LHP.

But how much stock do you want to put in AAA numbers?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/...3/chris-coghlan

Coghlan's close to an 800 OPSer against RHP over a long time frame, has positional versatility and, most importantly, is struggling so badly he shouldn't cost much.

The problem is that he's SO bad right now you wonder if a trade will bring him out of it or if he's just cooked mentally this year. Theoretically, leaving the A's for a contending team...especially being in Chicago again, that SHOULD help to motivate him to prove himself and rebuild his value for 2017.

But that's if we go SMALL in terms of setting our sights. Should be a solid move, and could be a great one but just as easily it results in disappointment based on his 522 OPS overall mark this year. That's beyond woeful. Does Steverson have a fix? How much of it is attributable to O.co stadium vs. Wrigley, etc.?

I have long wanted Derek Dietrich from the marlins but he would now be very expensive. He is playing second with Dee Gordon suspended and has an OPS around .899. Not a great glove and has played a little OF in past and third. I liked him as a LH DH and occasional play in field. 26 so controlled awhile but prob can't get him now.

What I did see that was interesting and possibly cheap is a 42 year old dude. Could Kenny get his man? Ichiro is somewhat blocked in their outfield, but how would a .381 OBP hitting lefty dhing look in our two hole vs Rollins? Platoon if you want but it would be interesting.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/...3/ichiro-suzuki

You'd have two HOF DH's, maybe.

However, Ichiro only has a 578 during that time frame against RHP. Against lefties, 755...but that's reasonably what we would expect out of Rollins if he JUST hit against LHP, right?

Maybe 3 years ago, when he could still play the OF quite well, but it's too late for him as a plus defender unless it's primarily a marketing move like Manny Ramirez down the stretch in 2010.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2016 -> 04:21 PM)
How many experienced AL hitters are going to give you a return of an 850+ OPS against RHP and not cost something significant?

Beltran is one of the better choices out there, because of his age, playoff experience and contract.

Kelly Johnson only has a 548 OPS against RHP this year and ONLY 715 over the much more indicative three year timeframe. Not sure how that clearly makes us better.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/...ing3/aaron-hill

Aaron Hill would seem to be the better choice, based on this season. Otoh, coming from NL to AL, he's not LH, he plays a position we don't have a pressing need at, so unless he could put up current 812 OPS for the White Sox at DH and not his close to 700 splits (they're basically even over 2013-2015), then it's not a big improvement either.

They would be better off with Rollins against LHP and then ANYONE NOT NAMED AVI GARCIA against RHP.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/30867/jerry-sands

LOL. Career-wise, Jerry Sands has 549 and 551 splits against LH/RH pitching, about what you'd expect. WOEFUL.

However, if you go by his minor league numbers, he's been at over 800 the last couple of seasons against RHP...especially for Columbus, where he was at 940 against RHP and 970 against LHP.

But how much stock do you want to put in AAA numbers?

I am not saying I want Kelly Johnson over Beltran, just think Kelly Johnson would be a nice dude to have on the bench for his flexibility.

Beltran would be fine, I'd just prefer to see someone like Cargo for the bat, but realize that probably not going to happen.

I think KW would definitely pull the trigger on CarGo.

Hahn, not so sure about.

That 780 vs 953 (home) split is quite scary. You can't afford to give up talent AND take on a huge contract for someone who's providing a sub 800 OPS.

Huge risk, that's for sure. More potential upside with CarGo, more certainty and less cost with Beltran.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2016 -> 09:33 PM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/...3/ichiro-suzuki

You'd have two HOF DH's, maybe.

However, Ichiro only has a 578 during that time frame against RHP. Against lefties, 755...but that's reasonably what we would expect out of Rollins if he JUST hit against LHP, right?

Maybe 3 years ago, when he could still play the OF quite well, but it's too late for him as a plus defender unless it's primarily a marketing move like Manny Ramirez down the stretch in 2010.

Weird, doing much better vs rhp this year(possibly sample size) and I really wasn't looking for slugging from him. Just a two hole hitter that could keep things moving in front of bigger bats. He would allow Melky to prob hit between Abreu and Frazier. Could use Melky, Avi(insert any of a bunch of other discussed options) and Ichi as two of the three playing DH and LF depending on matchup.

Edited by BamaDoc

Josh Reddick. Fits in personality wise with guys like his old teammate Brent Lawrie as well as being a very good outfielder and LH bat.

Beane hasn't made him an offer and probably intends on trading him.

Yeah, but with Reddick being one of the few "impact bats" available in the trade market...Beane's going to drive a very hard bargain.

So how much are you willing to give up for a rental player that doesn't come with a compensation pick attached?

Plus, coming back from an injury, he's going to need to establish that he's 100%. If he does, his value will rocket back up. If he doesn't in June, it's an even bigger risk to trade for him assuming he'll be fine the second half of the season.

Keep in mind, with Sonny Gray sporting a 6.19 ERA and Coghlan's OPS in the low 500's, those are two trade chips off the market (for now). Same with Billy Butler.

Reddick, Madson (if he keeps performing), along with Rich Hill....those are the three big "rebuilding" pieces for now.

Edited by caulfield12

7 for 3 trade with the Brewers, with Sox taking on all money.

Who says no (other than GreenSox)?

Sox Get:

Jonathon Lucroy

Ryan Braun

Will Smith

Brewers Get:

Carson Fulmer

Jordan Guerrero

Trey Michalczewski

Jacob May (or Adam Engel)

Jhoandro Alfaro

Carlos Sanchez

Matt Davidson

New Sox Lineup:

1. Eaton, RF

2. Abreu, 1B

3. Braun, LF

4. Cabrera, DH

5. Frazier, 3B

6. Lucroy, C

7. Lawrie, 2B

8. Jackson, CF

9. Saladino, SS

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 2, 2016 -> 05:11 PM)
7 for 3 trade with the Brewers, with Sox taking on all money.

Who says no (other than GreenSox)?

Sox Get:

Jonathon Lucroy

Ryan Braun

Will Smith

Brewers Get:

Carson Fulmer

Jordan Guerrero

Trey Michalczewski

Jacob May (or Adam Engel)

Jhoandro Alfaro

Carlos Sanchez

Matt Davidson

New Sox Lineup:

1. Eaton, RF

2. Abreu, 1B

3. Braun, LF

4. Cabrera, DH

5. Frazier, 3B

6. Lucroy, C

7. Lawrie, 2B

8. Jackson, CF

9. Saladino, SS

The Brewers?

The problem with Archer is he's not pitching very well so far this year...so you're paying for past results and potential to turn things around, without any guarantees.

And Archer would cost Anderson AND Fulmer, in all likelihood.

If you're the Rays, why would you accept anything less? He's probably the most valuable player they have left with that franchise, as Longoria has regressed quite a bit from his early form of 2008-2011.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2016 -> 06:48 PM)
Yeah, but with Reddick being one of the few "impact bats" available in the trade market...Beane's going to drive a very hard bargain.

So how much are you willing to give up for a rental player that doesn't come with a compensation pick attached?

You're right, since he is only a rental, I don't think it would be worth trading for him. If there was any way to approach his agent and discuss what he would agree to (in terms of Contract duration and amount) before completing a trade, then that would be different.

And, since he's been injured...he might at least consider it, because his numbers at the end of the year might be similar to what Alex Gordon put up last season.

That said, every agent who has an 800+ OPS hitter in their stable under age 32 has to be salivating at that potential market next year (demand outstripping supply) and saying no way should you/he agree to anything before you see the lay of the land in November/December of 2016.