6/2 games

maxjusttyped

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 2, 2016 -> 08:15 PM)
Matt Cooper is having himself quite the unexpected year.

I wonder if we're talking about him enough. These numbers are staggering and they're not new this year. The only thing that's new is that he's doing it while starting. At 24 and with nothing but success in the minors, Cooper probably needs to move up to Birmingham this season.

Anybody else think Delmonico is the first one up? I want me some Coats but they are moving Delmonico all over the field right. Makes me think he's coming up over Coats since he bats lefty and covers first. I wouldn't mind exchanging Shuck & Sands for Delmonico & Coats straight up. Maybe that would be rushing Delmonico a bit though, I dunno.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2016 -> 11:54 PM)
Delmonico just got promoted from BIRM a week ago...if they promoted him this quickly, it would be borderline crazy.

It wouldn't be that crazy. It's happened before. And sometimes guys skip Triple A and go straight from Double A to the majors.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 3, 2016 -> 07:33 AM)
It wouldn't be that crazy. It's happened before. And sometimes guys skip Triple A and go straight from Double A to the majors.

I feel like it's more common with pitchers. I know Beckham skipped AAA, but I can't think of another hitter who did that in our organization.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 3, 2016 -> 06:33 AM)

Yes, I know. Scott Radinsky, Alex Fernandez, Thomas, Ventura, McDowell, etc.

Jose Quintana, more recently.

The difference is those guys were big-time talents that were noticed by reams of scouts nationally well before they ever joined the Sox minor league system.

I personally would be shocked to see him on the Sox MLB roster any time before September (at the earliest).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 2, 2016 -> 10:41 PM)
I wonder if we're talking about him enough. These numbers are staggering and they're not new this year. The only thing that's new is that he's doing it while starting. At 24 and with nothing but success in the minors, Cooper probably needs to move up to Birmingham this season.

He really should be in AA, and at 24 he'd be more or less age appropriate at that level.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jun 2, 2016 -> 11:22 PM)
What's his profile?

We've got a detailed prospect profile on Cooper, right here. Includes links to some video (which I took), and an interview (from southside hitman). We (FS) ranked him 29th on the Sox T30 in January when no one else even mentioned the guy.

One thing that does frighten me a bit is the Dan Remenowsky scenario. But what counters that fear is, Cooper is doing this as a starter (which Rem never did as a pro), and reports last year had Cooper's fastball low 90's and according to one report, touched 95 (though I am skeptical on that one).

In any case, I think you need to challenge him in AA this year.

Addison Reed skipped AAA

MB, a 30ish round choice, skipped AAA.

Leave Delmonico in AAA the rest of the year and move Cooper up a level (of course you risk the Dash not winning another game if you do that).

Edited by GreenSox

If we really do develop Delmonico to a major leaguer I think that is a good sign that our hitter development has started to turn a corner. No major talents yet but I also don't feel like we've given them much to work with there beside Hawkins/Barnum. And after what happened with Trayce, not sure I'd write off Hawkins yet.