6/3 Game Thread - White Sox @ Tigers

hogan873

Sox are now 3-10 against divisional opponents NOT named Minnesota.

Unless that changes in a hurry, the Sox can start figuring on setting up tee times for their golf games in early October.

They simply can't beat clubs in their division.

Didn 't expect anything else tonight though to be fair... six 'starters' hitting under .250 with the 'heart of the order' three-four-five under that mark as well.

No Jackson, no Melky...no bench worth a damn.

As Kenny would say, "it is what it is..."

And the 'four A' relief pitchers used at the end just sealed the deal, guess Robin knew what was going to happen and didn't want to waste his better guys.

Maybe they'll play better Saturday.

Mark

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2016 -> 09:34 PM)
Team has no prayer if Eaton, Abreu and Frazier aren't above average hitters. Expected loss, but disappointing to see them get blown out late. Sale needs to be ready from pitch one tomorrow against a loaded lineup

Basically only eaton, Abreu and Melky are your only an above average hitters. Frazier doesn't hit for average just hits homeruns in key spots. Problem is Frazier is the only run producing at right now.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

Robin concedes a lot of games. Why can't he just go away?? Get us a real manager somewhere?

I guess the Mets series made it seem like we had a good team again. People it was one series win in the last seven. Law of averages.

p.s. Eaton down to about .250? WTF. He was always over .300.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 3, 2016 -> 08:38 PM)
Don't give up yet. Let's see where they are on June 20.

Baseball is a funny game but honestly I don't see much changing. They can't beat the teams in their division when they have guys lost to injury...how are they supposed to beat them when said guys start returning?

Mark

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jun 3, 2016 -> 07:36 PM)
How much longer till he's healthy and then you have to get him in the minors trying to get the rust off. Can't really wait to see if he can do contribute of you need it now

Highly doubtful much happens via trade for many teams until the trade deadline. Morneau is expected to be ready by then . Last year after missing most of the season he hit around .333 in September and October.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 3, 2016 -> 07:40 PM)
Robin concedes a lot of games. Why can't he just go away?? Get us a real manager somewhere?

I guess the Mets series made it seem like we had a good team again. People it was one series win in the last seven. Law of averages.

p.s. Eaton down to about .250? WTF. He was always over .300.

Eaton .268

Zeros all around.

Ventura/Cooper did their usual dog and pony show - leave the struggling pitcher in the game until he pitches the Sox out of the game.

Cooper/Hahn for bringing this guy up.

Another sorry bit of talent evaluation from Hahn and his scouts on this guy Kahnle.

And Cooper, once gain, didn't fix him.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 03:02 AM)
Zeros all around.

Ventura/Cooper did their usual dog and pony show - leave the struggling pitcher in the game until he pitches the Sox out of the game.

Cooper/Hahn for bringing this guy up.

Another sorry bit of talent evaluation from Hahn and his scouts on this guy Kahnle.

And Cooper, once gain, didn't fix him.

Kahnle was a wild card. Cooper hasn't even had a lot of time around him. With that said, the Sox would really benefit from Cooper or Stevetson turning nothing into something to help the talent level on the roster.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2016 -> 10:08 PM)
Kahnle was a wild card. Cooper hasn't even had a lot of time around him. With that said, the Sox would really benefit from Cooper or Stevetson turning nothing into something to help the talent level on the roster.

Cooper is Williams'main man and is consulted on these pick ups and he hasn't fixed a thing in ages. He had Kahnle all spring. Hahn gave up an interesting prospect for him, too.

And Cooper didn't get off of his duff to go talk to him either.

I wish they would give Steverson someone new from Charlotte to work with.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 3, 2016 -> 10:15 PM)
I wish they would give Steverson someone new from Charlotte to work with.

I heard they are working with Chance the Rapper on learning to hit the off speed stuff

You know something I was thinking of. The Royals have been gutted by injuries and are still doing well. Cleveland has had two key players out for extended periods of time and are hanging in there.

The Sox have had ONE real injury (Jackson) and Melky is gone for three days and they basically have NOTHING coming off the bench to plug in. I mean I could see that if it was 2013...but now? Three years later and the depth still isn't there?

I guess this franchise was in even worse shape than I thought in 2013 if three years later they still can't find a bench. Guess everything went towards plugging the black holes among some of the starting spots.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

Bonifacio and Beckham flopping have something to do with that.

Sanchez or Saladino would theoretically be fine as the super utility guy (when Anderson arrives).

We know all about the Sox lack of ability to develop catching.

And then you have the busted Davidson move, Shuck (4th guy most of last year), Sands, etc.

Leury has never been a good enough hitter to justify that spot just for PR and defensive replacement.

The biggest need was unaddressed....that LH platoon bat/DH/1B/OF that would present a legit power threat off the bench, someone like a Pedro Alvarez.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 3, 2016 -> 10:06 PM)
You know something I was thinking of. The Royals have been gutted by injuries and are still doing well. Cleveland has had two key players out for extended periods of time and are hanging in there.

The Sox have had ONE real injury (Jackson) and Melky is gone for three days and they basically have NOTHING coming off the bench to plug in. I mean I could see that if it was 2013...but now? Three years later and the depth still isn't there?

I guess this franchise was in even worse shape than I thought in 2013 if three years later they still can't find a bench. Guess everything went towards plugging the black holes among some of the starting spots.

Mark

They've used 3-4 relievers from the minors (Collins is still out, who was supposed to be their LHR when he was 100% back to health).

Dyson missed a month....so Eibner, Merrifield, Fuentes (high draft pick from another system) and Orlando have all shared time there (and obviously now with Gordon).

Cheslor Cuthbert (the only Top 10 prospect of a depleted system) has filled in quite well for Moustakas.

Butera for Salvy Perez.

Colon also played some earlier for Infante (and would again if they DFA him, but he has options). Colon used to be a top prospect because of his high draft status but is no longer really a rookie.

At any rate, that's 6-7 players right there who weren't really being counted on coming into the season playing significant roles for a 1st place team the 3rd of June.

Only Cuthbert and Colon were close to being "top prospects." I don't think the White Sox have even produced that many hitters in the span of the last 5-7 seasons. Their best position prospect, Mondesi, Jr., will come back in about a month from PEDS suspension and will eventually end up at SS, replacing Alcides Escobar next season or in 2017. Hunter Dozier will also factor in at 3B/OF...depending on whether they leave Cuthbert at 3b or move him to second base.

Not bad for a system decimated by trades of pitching (Cueto/Zobrist) and whose top pitching and hitting prospects (Zimmer/Starling) have been complete busts so far.

Yes, but there was still the idea that Garcia would need a LH platoon partner or eventually to be replaced altogether.

And that's confirmed by our 2nd worst OPS against RHP...which didn't improve last night against Zimmerman, despite his far from best stuff.