6/4 - White Sox @ Tigers Game Thread

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Sale vs AL Central: 28-26, vs Cle 4.07 ERA .254 BAA, vs Det 3.02 ERA .223 BAA, vs KC 2.82 ERA .278 BAA, vs MIN 4.05 ERA .252 BAA.

Now Chris Sale is a hell of a pitcher in this league (top 3-5 for sure) but he comes up short in the big games against the division rivals.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 05:31 PM)
I'm willing to guarantee if that was about any other player on this team, you would have jumped on the train & agreed with me. Your obsession with Sale is getting a bit weird, man. lol

No, I would've said the exact same thing. Predicting postseason success/failure for players that've never had the chance is just dumb.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 06:32 PM)
Chris Sale vs AL Central: 28-26, vs Cle 4.07 ERA .254 BAA, vs Det 3.02 ERA .223 BAA, vs KC 2.82 ERA .278 BAA, vs MIN 4.05 ERA .252 BAA.

Now Chris Sale is a hell of a pitcher in this league (top 3-5 for sure) but he comes up short in the big games against the division rivals.

His career ERA is 2.86 overall and the numbers there put it at around 3.55 ish for the AL Central?

That's not top 5 in baseball but its not what I'd call "coming up short" against the Central, that's still above average.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
No, I would've said the exact same thing. Predicting postseason success/failure for players that've never had the chance is just dumb.

How would you have said the same exact thing when you just got done saying if the Sox lose today, they aren't a playoff team? Aren't you doing the same exact thing & projection a group's success w/ "just a feeling"?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 06:35 PM)
His career ERA is 2.86 overall and the numbers there put it at around 3.55 ish for the AL Central?

That's not top 5 in baseball but its not what I'd call "coming up short" against the Central, that's still above average.

Jose's career ERA is 3.35, but against the Central 2.71 Cle, 4.02 against Det, 4.34 KCR, 3.83 MIN. That totals up to being about 0.5 runs higher than his career average against the Central also. Similar to Sale's career/Division difference.

I'm now wondering if part of this isn't "Familiarity with the pitcher" plus "team tries to push the starting pitcher as hard as they can against division opponents" combination, but that's an interesting note.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 05:35 PM)

And if you look season by season against the Twins and Indians where he has the worst numbers it isn't like there is a trend. He sucked against the Twins last year but he has been good against them aside from that. He sucked against the Indians in 2013 but dominated them in 2012, 2014 and 2015.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 05:36 PM)
How would you have said the same exact thing when you just got done saying if the Sox lose today, they aren't a playoff team? Aren't you doing the same exact thing & projection a group's success w/ "just a feeling"?

I never said the Sox would fail as a team if they got to the playoffs, I simply that that this isn't a playoff caliber team if they couldn't win this game. It's 2 separate ideas, though I can see where you're coming from.