Robin Ventura should be fired today

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know, when I heard one of the players say at the beginning of the season that after being swept to open last season that that put them in a funk they couldn't out of. That put up a red flag for me. This team is weak minded. Robin doesn't have the clubhouse presence to instill a winning culture. There has to be a change ASAP. They'll let this drag out til they're 10 under before they make a change watch.

Started what 23-10 and now 6 for their last 19? This team is going nowhere, so of course there's no sense of urgency and accountability. Sickening. Trading for Shields was fine but it's meaningless at this point it feels like without a big pen addition and impact bat.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 05:11 AM)
It's almost as if the team is playing like they expect it to happen.

Very true. But seriously, if it's just going to be Renteria, f*** that? Change for the sake of change sucks. Name a real manager or keep Robin. I really don't want Renteria. I'd rather have Coop just to listen to the postgame interviews. Any chance Coop would get a shot? Again ... just say no to Renteria. Keep ROBIN if that's the guy.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 05:55 AM)
Ya know, when I heard one of the players say at the beginning of the season that after being swept to open last season that that put them in a funk they couldn't out of. That put up a red flag for me.

If that's true ... wow. I'd like to know who the player was. I do believe it's possible for the Sox to quit on a season after going 0-3 or 0-4 but that's incredible at the same time. Obviously the first week of the season means nothing, though an 0-7 start is not ideal.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 12:02 AM)
If that's true ... wow. I'd like to know who the player was. I do believe it's possible for the Sox to quit on a season after going 0-3 or 0-4 but that's incredible at the same time. Obviously the first week of the season means nothing, though an 0-7 start is not ideal.

It was something along those lines without looking it up exactly.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 10:05 PM)
It was something along those lines without looking it up exactly.

I think it may have been a quote from Eaton. Something along these lines...

"We never really recovered from being swept in Kanas City..."

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 12:09 AM)
I think it may have been a quote from Eaton. Something along these lines...

"We never really recovered from being swept in Kanas City..."

Bingo

I didn't say much about that cuz I thought eh...they'll be ok. Started hot after the LaRoche ordeal so that's nothing. I just feel like that's one sign of a mentally weak team with no leadership from the skip.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
Boycott until changes are made.

Boycott? You mean 13th out of 15 AL teams in attendance isn't boycotting? You want them to be the Montreal Expos, where they draw 2,000 people a night? How can they boycott any harder? Do you understand what you're even saying?

Ohhhh, I get it. They played better with an empty park, like in April, and now that the fans are showing up, the pressure is on and they're crushing under it. I get it. You're smooth.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 11:14 PM)
If they don't do it soon, the natives are going to wise up and turn on Hahn, KW and JR.

Or Hahn/KW will turn on each other to blame the other for this current predicament.

Somehow, Don Cooper will survive it all.

On the other hand, Ventura is a KW hire. More than likely with JR blessing it.

Ventura has gotten a free pass through all the suckage so far, and Hahn always comes forward to claim the fault lies not in the manager.

I just don't see this trio publicly admitting they blew it. Only way RV goes during the course of the season is if he resigns.

QUOTE (captain54 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 01:39 AM)
On the other hand, Ventura is a KW hire. More than likely with JR blessing it.

Ventura has gotten a free pass through all the suckage so far, and Hahn always comes forward to claim the fault lies not in the manager.

I just don't see this trio publicly admitting they blew it. Only way RV goes during the course of the season is if he resigns.

OK, Ventura resigns. What is it that you, captain54, will do to change the culture of the clubhouse and make this team win again?

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
I was under the impression managers actually conducted and oversaw events called practices where they went over hitting, fielding, pitching, bunting, and real game situations to help the players get better. Guess I was wrong.

Very little actually. During the regular season there just isn't any time. That's what they have been doing before getting to the show. From there coaches take over.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 06:22 AM)
OK, Ventura resigns. What is it that you, captain54, will do to change the culture of the clubhouse and make this team win again?

I'm not suggesting that I have the solution to what ails the Sox in the clubhouse, guy…I'm not paid to make those fixes... I'm offering an opinion and speculating on the dynamic of the Sox hierarchy and how things may be playing out, based upon my decades of experience as a Sox fan under the JR regime...

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
Huh??? You are kidding I assume. Read Francona's book on the years he managed the Red Sox

I was responding to a claim that managers only set lineups. Players have to hit but they also have practices to work on things they aren't good at. I don't believe for a second Frazier is incapable of batting .270 and our other guys aren't capable either. Mindset and strategy is a problem too not just talent.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 01:22 AM)
Glad you weren't a Pirates or Royals fan.

I know this about the Pirates and Royals...

I've seen the Royals win two World Series and lose two World Series in my lifetime.

I've seen the Pirates win a World Series and make the postseason the last three years....something the White Sox have never done.

Yes, they had years of suck under a economic system that killed them. But here we are in a better economic system and a double wildcard format, and they're actually doing well, and the Sox are trying to duplicate 2005-- and doing terribly.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
I know this about the Pirates and Royals...

I've seen the Royals win two World Series and lose two World Series in my lifetime.

I've seen the Pirates win a World Series and make the postseason the last three years....something the White Sox have never done.

Yes, they had years of suck under a economic system that killed them. But here we are in a better economic system and a double wildcard format, and they're actually doing well, and the Sox are trying to duplicate 2005-- and doing terribly.

Years is an understatement. Try decades. Would you be OK with the White Sox tanking for 20 years?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
Years is an understatement. Try decades. Would you be OK with the White Sox tanking for 20 years?

We've been s***ty since 2007. 9 years of awful baseball with the exception of 2008 and 2012 collapse where they were decent.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)

They're a weak division in 2008 from being 11 years in anyway, but I'll give them credit for winning that. Even then, this will be 8 years under an economic system and playoff format that should give every team opportunities to a path to sustained success.