Your 2017 Manager

lord chas

It seems to me it is time for a fresh voice. History tells us that JR prefers someone with White Sox ties. Names like Dave Martinez, Sandy Alomar, and Omar Vizquel will be mentioned

I believe it is time for a complete organizational reboot. Who are some logical targets the White Sox should go after? Thoughts?

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
It seems to me it is time for a fresh voice. History tells us that JR prefers someone with White Sox ties. Names like Dave Martinez, Sandy Alomar, and Omar Vizquel will be mentioned

I believe it is time for a complete organizational reboot. Who are some logical targets the White Sox should go after? Thoughts?

NO! That's the problem! "White Sox ties" doth not automatically a great manager make! Stop with that nonsense already.

Look at the Cubs. Just a few years ago they said "no thank you" to one of the greatest Cubs of all time in Ryne Sandberg to be their manager, and instead looked for whom they felt was the best qualified against far more important criteria than simply history with the franchise. That approach eventually landed them Renteria and Maddon.

Now that is a sound approach to operating a MLB franchise. Governing solely from some silly loyalty program is not.

Edited by Thad Bosley

Honest answer...I don't care as long as they hire somebody with major league coaching staff or minor league managerial experience. Somebody that fits into a vision for the team they are fielding...ya know, somebody with a plan.

And if/when this person proves they suck too, they fire them after three years.

yeah...it's time Sandy Alomar gets a shot. This clearly ain't working. Didn't scour the game thread or anything...but looked at the lineup and said W.T.F. is Coats batting 2nd for?....geezus. Some or most may disagree....but I really can't see plugging him into the 2 hole a day after being brought up...then taken out for a noggin knock...and then stick him in the 2 hole against Verlander. I'm not that keen or Martinez for some reason. I'd like to see Renteria get a shot to finish out the season and see what he can do....but some type of hammer needs to be thrown down...soon or this will be another lost season.

Depends...

On the off chance there is a new owner next year, it could be an actual person with experience at the big league level who has had some success.

If not it'll be another inexperienced, learn on-the-job- former White Sox player because JR loves loyalty and hates paying huge money for top head coaches / managers.

Jim Thome, Aaron Rowand, maybe Paul Konerko COME ON DOWN!!!!!!!!!!

And the Sox haven't hired a manager with previous managerial experience at the big league level since Jeff Torborg in 1989. Think about that one for a second or two.

Mark

And yet we love giving away $5 million to Manny Ramirez, Jeff Keppinger or Emilio Bonifacio.

That might be the single biggest frustration I have with the organization. It's not the payroll/spending, it's HOW they are spending it...they've been horribly inefficient in this area ever since 2006, when the payroll became bloated.

They've had their individual successes, sure...but not in the way of improving the manner in which the organization runs and how they think (short vs. long-term).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 07:04 PM)
Renteria was hired to be a manager very soon. If the Sox keep failing, it will be here. If not, it will be somewhere else.

If Maddon wasn't available a year and a half ago, Renteria would probably still be managing the Cubs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 08:04 PM)
Renteria was hired to be a manager very soon. If the Sox keep failing, it will be here. If not, it will be somewhere else.

I don't care for the optics of the Sox hiring the Cubs leftovers as manager. At the same time, there would be an interesting story to tell if the Sox hired Renteria as manager, and he managed to not only take the Sox to the playoffs this year, but also got them to surpass the Northsiders in accomplishment. That could be a lot of fun!

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 07:06 PM)
If Maddon wasn't available a year and a half ago, Renteria would probably still be managing the Cubs.

Absolutely. He did pretty well given the circumstances. But the difference was that when the Cubs had an opportunity to 'upgrade' their situation they did it. Loyalty be damned. And I think Renteria had two years remaining on his deal.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 05:18 PM)
Depends...

On the off chance there is a new owner next year, it could be an actual person with experience at the big league level who has had some success.

Mark

In other words another organization's version of Ventura. He can't manage that team anymore, they want him out, etc.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out perhaps the need for managers to change places. Perhaps players do stop listening.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
In other words another organization's version of Ventura. He can't manage that team anymore, they want him out, etc.

What other organizations have a manager who had never coached or managed an inning at any professional level and had been out of baseball for a decade before named manger?

We night hire a retread, but people learn from their experiences.... but you need that depth of experience from which to learn.

Edited by GreenSox

If Robin goes, and I'm not advocating that, but if he does, I would like to see us go grab Gardenhire. I guess he's special assistant to the GM in Minnesota, so maybe he's not available, but if he wanted to manage again, I would like to see the Sox give him a shot.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)
What other organizations have a manager who had never coached or managed an inning at any professional level and had been out of baseball for a decade before named manger?

We night hire a retread, but people learn from their experiences.... but you need that depth of experience from which to learn.

I meant Ventura today. He now has the experience you are talking about, has achieved some success, etc.