6/6 Games

Dunt

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 06:31 PM)
Tim Anderson is good. He should be on the Sox.

He has hit a tiny tiny bit better than Carlos Sanchez, and worse than Leury Garcia at AAA. And his defense isn't better than them. In what universe does it make any sense to bring him up?

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 10:49 PM)
He has hit a tiny tiny bit better than Carlos Sanchez, and worse than Leury Garcia at AAA. And his defense isn't better than them. In what universe does it make any sense to bring him up?

What are you using to decide that they have hit better? Anderson has a .700 OPS and a 104 wRC. Leary does have a 112 wRC but in 100 less PA. Sanchez is worse.

http://mlbfarm.com/index.php?team=CWS

Anderson, 2/5, HR, 3 RBI

Engel, 2/4, HR, RBI, BB

Guerrero, 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 2 K

Mason Robbins, 2/4, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI (Someone on Twitter today said he thinks Robbins could pop this year. Hitting .304 now. Problem is, the dude has 2 walks this year... TWO)

Brennan, 9 IP, 9 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 09:41 PM)
What are you using to decide that they have hit better? Anderson has a .700 OPS and a 104 wRC. Leary does have a 112 wRC but in 100 less PA. Sanchez is worse.

Any of those are fine to show they've all hit similarly. And again, how do people think a .728 OPS in AAA is going to translate in the majors right now for this not-good-at-defense shortstop? And anyone who is honestly clamoring for Anderson must be convinced that Jason Coats, bringing his .966 OPS to Chicago, will be an MVP candidate.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 03:07 AM)
Any of those are fine to show they've all hit similarly. And again, how do people think a .728 OPS in AAA is going to translate in the majors right now for this not-good-at-defense shortstop? And anyone who is honestly clamoring for Anderson must be convinced that Jason Coats, bringing his .966 OPS to Chicago, will be an MVP candidate.

I think people are looking at Anderson's last 6 weeks instead of his whole season because he typically starts extremely slow.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 06:28 AM)
I think people are looking at Anderson's last 6 weeks instead of his whole season because he typically starts extremely slow.

They are. Plus it's foolish to compare Anderson's full-season OPS to guys like Sanchez, Garcia, & Coats who are in their 2nd or 3rd AAA season, let alone ignore the obvious difference in tools.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 10:49 PM)

Oh boy...

Over his last 28 days, Adam Engel is hitting .310/.389/.480. That's pretty encouraging. Even if he can maintain a low .700s OPS, he provides a ton of value in his defense and base running.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 09:49 PM)

This universe. Anytime after this week.

Engel in AA before demotion: .170/.314/.310, 28 K, 19 BB in 124 PA (26 G)

Engel back in A+: .327/.413/.473, 11 K, 7 BB in 64 PA (14 G)

Engel back to AA again: .300/.364/.500, 13 K, 5 BB, in 56 PA (12 G)

So his walk rate is actually down a bit this time around (in 12 games), and the K rate is a little higher. But he's hitting the ball far better. Look at his first AA phase - see the huge walk total? He was hesitant. Like Jared Mitchell - not selective (which is good), but passive (which is bad). Now he's being more aggressive, but still not striking out TOO much, which is the right balance for him.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 04:28 AM)

Having one good month at AAA proves that he will have no problem hitting major league pitching so well as to offset his defensive liabilities at shortstop

Should I list the 20,000 players who have hit well for a month but who you don't want starting for your team, much less at shortstop?

I understand that people want to snap their fingers and have Anderson magically be an above-average major league player. I just don't understand how anybody actually thinks it, like how a child would.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)
Engel in AA before demotion: .170/.314/.310, 28 K, 19 BB in 124 PA (26 G)

Engel back in A+: .327/.413/.473, 11 K, 7 BB in 64 PA (14 G)

Engel back to AA again: .300/.364/.500, 13 K, 5 BB, in 56 PA (12 G)

So his walk rate is actually down a bit this time around (in 12 games), and the K rate is a little higher. But he's hitting the ball far better. Look at his first AA phase - see the huge walk total? He was hesitant. Like Jared Mitchell - not selective (which is good), but passive (which is bad). Now he's being more aggressive, but still not striking out TOO much, which is the right balance for him.

In the very very small sample size of ABs I saw from him in ST, he did seem to take a TON of pitches, both balls and strikes. Yes, exactly what I remembered from Jared Mitchell in ST as well.