White Sox will chase Jay Bruce

southsider2k5

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 09:17 PM)
There is no way that the Sox burn this down and start selling pieces. They are in the second year of some sort of three year plan. Selling now would just be an admission that Williams and Hahn are utter failures without a clue.

This.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 09:17 PM)
There is no way that the Sox burn this down and start selling pieces. They are in the second year of some sort of three year plan. Selling now would just be an admission that Williams and Hahn are utter failures without a clue.

The 3 year fail more like it. This team has no depth. When Jackson,c Cabrera were gone last week we had the worst lineup baseball by far. no depth whatsoever. Fulmer might be a bust, Anderson looks like Micah Johnson to me, rodon below average, duke/albers/Latos/avilla/Rollins/shuck/sands/Garcia should be dfa'd and guarantee nobody in MLB would add them. Then it's a nothing but aaaa players in our system. Our cheap ass GM should of got some decent players not a bunch of crap players off scrap pile. Imagine Ian desmond, Dexter Fowler, cespedes on this team

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 10:46 PM)
The 3 year fail more like it. This team has no depth. When Jackson,c Cabrera were gone last week we had the worst lineup baseball by far. no depth whatsoever. Fulmer might be a bust, Anderson looks like Micah Johnson to me, rodon below average, duke/albers/Latos/avilla/Rollins/shuck/sands/Garcia should be dfa'd and guarantee nobody in MLB would add them. Then it's a nothing but aaaa players in our system. Our cheap ass GM should of got some decent players not a bunch of crap players off scrap pile. Imagine Ian desmond, Dexter Fowler, cespedes on this team

Our bullpen would still be atrocious, we were never getting Cespedes away from New York. Yes Desmond or Fowler would help the offense, but that wouldn't do much for the starting pitching outside, or the pen. I don't think we are 1 player away from being a solid offensive club either so I imagine adding one of those to this team would have had a slightly higher scoring team with the same results.

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 11:09 PM)
Our bullpen would still be atrocious, we were never getting Cespedes away from New York. Yes Desmond or Fowler would help the offense, but that wouldn't do much for the starting pitching outside, or the pen. I don't think we are 1 player away from being a solid offensive club either so I imagine adding one of those to this team would have had a slightly higher scoring team with the same results.

There was no chance this team was going to fill all it's holes in one offseason. C, 2B, SS, 3B, DH, OF(x2), SP...

Hahn did a lot with what he had. Lawrie, Frazier, Jackson...good moves. So was Latos. I'll argue that with anyone. I wanted Hahn to go for both Jackson and Latos after they didn't get Cespedes and they did. Latos gave us more last night than their guy Ross did...and more than Shields did, too. He's a 5 for chrissakes!

Then the $14M found money came along and still no bat.

That's incompetence.

But hey - we got Fulmer and Anderson still...

At this point the Sox just have to let it ride. Certainly Hahn shouldn't make any more trades for veterans. But I don't want he and Williams to divest because they can't take an objective look at it. If the Sox need to divest of these players, fresh management team needs to do it. Hahn can make some small moves to move middle relievers or dead veterans at the deadline if they can get something but any decision on the big dogs has to come from fresh management.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 09:46 PM)

This is one of the worst posts I have ever seen on here, and that is saying something.

No MLB teams have the depth to take 2/3 starters out of their outfield and expect to field an above average lineup. No one.

What makes you think Fulmer is a bust and Anderson is Micah Johnson? What a comical comment. Rodon average? The dude pitched less than 25 innings in the minor leagues - he's not going to be an ace yet. Give him some time.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 09:46 PM)

This team isn't that bad... We're still only 3.5 out. If we win tonight and take 2 of 3 from KC, we're right 1-2 games back of 1st. We just need Abreu to start hitting and another bat, which I think is coming very soon. Abreu to start hitting and voiding our -0.1 WAR at DH would do wonders. Shields obviously isn't that bad either. I actually think our rotation is fine.

I think this is a very strategic plan by the Sox to make a push this year and this offseason, and then if things aren't working out, to sell everything off.

Think about it. After this year: And I'm sure some of these contracts aren't correct...

Shields - 2 years left - can be traded at $9mm to a contender for a decent return - nothing great, but something (if he pitches a 3.50-4.50 era)

Lawrie - 1 yr left - can be traded as a high energy, master utility guy for a contender

Abreu - can be traded for a ton

Frazier - one year left - can get a really nice haul

Melky - one year left - can get a solid, solid haul

Robertson - one year left - can get a solid return

Quintana - can bring in a hell of a lot

Sale - a huge return

Add this years draft, the few other pieces we have in the minors and what we get in return for selling off all of these guys and you are 2-4 years from competing again.

I think this team will push as much as they can this year and this offseason to acquire players that have 1-2 years left on contracts and if its not working they're going to sell, sell, sell and try and build around Tim Anderson and a few other really young pieces and try and use the "Cubs/Astros" approach.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
I think this is a very strategic plan by the Sox to make a push this year and this offseason, and then if things aren't working out, to sell everything off.

Think about it. After this year: And I'm sure some of these contracts aren't correct...

Shields - 2 years left - can be traded at $9mm to a contender for a decent return - nothing great, but something (if he pitches a 3.50-4.50 era)

Lawrie - 1 yr left - can be traded as a high energy, master utility guy for a contender

Abreu - can be traded for a ton

Frazier - one year left - can get a really nice haul

Melky - one year left - can get a solid, solid haul

Robertson - one year left - can get a solid return

Quintana - can bring in a hell of a lot

Sale - a huge return

Add this years draft, the few other pieces we have in the minors and what we get in return for selling off all of these guys and you are 2-4 years from competing again.

I think this team will push as much as they can this year and this offseason to acquire players that have 1-2 years left on contracts and if its not working they're going to sell, sell, sell and try and build around Tim Anderson and a few other really young pieces and try and use the "Cubs/Astros" approach.

Keep in mind this is the worst free agent market, probably in the history of free agency, but definitely in decades at least. If they wanted to sell off this off season, they should be looking at a sellers market.

Please NO! Bruce sucks. Implode the whole damn thibg and start over. Org needs a change in mindset. Whole Coaching staff can go. Including Cooper the great. Kenny needs to go too. I bet kenny doesnt get a job anywhere else in baseball unless its wiping someones bum

With the return the Sox could get for Sale and Quintana alone they could compete as soon as next year. It would require Rodon improving dramatically, but it could happen. That's not even counting what Melky and Eaton could bring in, and the "addition by subtraction" benefits of salary dumping that loser Robertson.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
Not sure how Abreu is worth a ton at this exact moment in time...

And you're building around Eaton, Rodon, Anderson, Fulmer and this year's three top draft picks???

Abreu could go 8-16 over his next 4 games with 3 homers and he'd statistically be back on track.. he'd be batting .285 with 10HR's basically 1/3rd through the season and warm months coming.

That's like saying Shields trade value was diminished becasuse of his last game with SD. Step back and have perspective.

Also, not saying we're building around anybody. I just listed a bunch of players. Doubtful all would be traded. You keep a few who you build around and start from the bottom up.

You basically trade whatever can get you the best haul, and then keep the rest.

It's not crazy to think. We're already almost nothing in this city. The Cubs wearing pajamas on a road trip get more coverage. So if there is anytime to go into hiding and build prospects its now.

Again, I think the Sox are going to go after players still. I see someone like Fulmer going for CarGo. He's signed for another year too. They want players to go after this year to try and push for a weak division. And then again with the same core next year. If at that time they aren't hitting expectations it would be a fire sale all around.

My opinion.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 11:34 AM)
With the return the Sox could get for Sale and Quintana alone they could compete as soon as next year. It would require Rodon improving dramatically, but it could happen. That's not even counting what Melky and Eaton could bring in, and the "addition by subtraction" benefits of salary dumping that loser Robertson.

You are unlikely to trade Sale or Quintana and as a result get significantly better next year. If you're counting on Rodon improving dramatically and that leading to a competitive team...having Sale and Quintana in that rotation is kinda important.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
You are likely to trade Sale or Quintana and as a result get significantly better next year. If you're counting on Rodon improving dramatically and that leading to a competitive team...having Sale and Quintana in that rotation is kinda important.

There is no guarantee of that. As for Rodon people seem to have forgotten the sophomore slump.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
There is no guarantee of that. As for Rodon people seem to have forgotten the sophomore slump.

Did I type "likely"? D'OH. I totally meant to type "unlikely". Editing now. Apparently I'm this out of practice.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
Keep in mind this is the worst free agent market, probably in the history of free agency, but definitely in decades at least. If they wanted to sell off this off season, they should be looking at a sellers market.

Agreed. If they continue to tank all the rest of the first half, I think you give a massive fire sale and just absolutely load up for a year or two from now. This current FA market is razor thin, they could ask for a bounty of both young ML studs and top end prospects for guys like Sale, Q, Frazier, etc., and the 2018 FA class is loaded and they could feasibly have a bunch of cost controlled talent and the ability to take on a superstar. It wont be what they do, but I dont think it would end up being the worst play.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
Agreed. If they continue to tank all the rest of the first half, I think you give a massive fire sale and just absolutely load up for a year or two from now. This current FA market is razor thin, they could ask for a bounty of both young ML studs and top end prospects for guys like Sale, Q, Frazier, etc., and the 2018 FA class is loaded and they could feasibly have a bunch of cost controlled talent and the ability to take on a superstar. It wont be what they do, but I dont think it would end up being the worst play.

I doubt it happens, unless this death spiral is for real and this season really does go into the toilet. Then they really have to consider it at least.